PDA

View Full Version : Ak Recoil Buffer Necessary?

Rexxss98
09-24-2011, 4:46 PM
Sup Guys!
I bought a new Arsenal in 762 a while back and haven't got around to shooting it yet. I've read alot of conflicting views on the need to install one. If it really helps that much with the recoil....I wouldn't mind getting one since I shoot the crap out of my guns every time I go to the range. Thanks!

tujungatoes
09-24-2011, 5:49 PM
No, you don't need one. An AK recoil buffer is a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. Recoil on any AK is moderate.

The only time I recommend them is on home builds where the bolt carrier jumps the rails at the rear and the builder doesn't have the ability to weld.

Mail Clerk
09-25-2011, 7:59 AM
Sup Guys!
I bought a new Arsenal in 762 a while back and haven't got around to shooting it yet. I've read alot of conflicting views on the need to install one. If it really helps that much with the recoil....I wouldn't mind getting one since I shoot the crap out of my guns every time I go to the range. Thanks!

Rexxxss98,

If it's cheap and easy to install yourself then I say why not??? Thery're rated for an easy 5K anyway before needing replacing and how fast will you burn through that??? Once I get my replacement Casar I want to have one installed as a precaution. heck at my rate mine won't wear out before I retire anyway. Installing one and telling us how it works/feels to you personally is part of the hobby!!!

Mail Clerk

Richard Erichsen
09-25-2011, 9:46 AM
Sup Guys!

I have the buffer fitted out of paranoia that the bolt carrier might someday jump the rails on recoil, but the uprated Wolff recoil springs do a better job of preventing the carrier from jumping off the rail or spanking the trunnion. Using heavier than typical ammo, I was able to hit the trunnion lightly which was enough motivation for me to uprate the spring and while I was at it, fit the buffer. I did this for a very specific reason, my preference for heavier ammo (150+ grain SPs), but as mentioned, it's not really an issue with a good spring fitted.

Many folks use the recoil spring that came with the parts kit if they build their own or rely on the vendor to fit a spring matching the correct length and tension. When in doubt, replace the spring (they are around $5.00).

Even though the name suggests recoil absorption is involved, it is not. It's supposed to prevent the carrier slamming into the buttstock trunnion, but your shoulder won't feel the difference either way. The recoil pulse tends to jump the rifle upward rather more than back and only mildly at that. This isn't a .30-06 we're talking about. Fit a muzzle brake to speed up followup shots if that's what you are worried about. If you don't see dents in the trunnion from the carrier, you don't have a problem.

R

CSACANNONEER
09-25-2011, 9:58 AM
Rexxxss98,

If it's cheap and easy to install yourself then I say why not??? Thery're rated for an easy 5K anyway before needing replacing and how fast will you burn through that??? Once I get my replacement Casar I want to have one installed as a precaution. heck at my rate mine won't wear out before I retire anyway. Installing one and telling us how it works/feels to you personally is part of the hobby!!!

Mail Clerk

Well, because, it reduces the available bolt carrier travel. It allows the bolt to slam into the rear trunnion harder and sooner than if it was not there. In other words, it can be detrimental to your firearm. If 2 cent buffers were beneficial to firearms, don't you think that the designers and manufacturers would be using them on newly built guns?

Mac
09-25-2011, 12:18 PM
You don't need it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sNDTdKQNVU

Mr. Casull
09-25-2011, 4:19 PM
I have four AK type weapons and all of them have the buffer. I originally didn't have them until my MAK90 in 223 got so that I couldn't remove the piston or bolt. I fixed the problem and installed the buffer and now no more problems.