PDA

View Full Version : Need help with CCW

LloydXmas250
09-24-2011, 2:11 PM
Starting in December once I'm done at my academy I will be living in AZ and will be able to CCW and will use that privilege to protect myself and the family when we are out. The problem is I don't know where to start when it comes to CCW. I've figured out I will go with the Crossbreed Supertuck holster based on many recommendations but when it comes to the weapon, I'm not sure where to start.

I'm a tall, skinny guy who will be in hot AZ so I'm worried about printing with certain guns. Not sure if something like a M&P 40 or 9 Compact, or XD Sub-compact, or G-26 or 27 would be too big for me. Or if I'd have to go with something even smaller like a LCR or LCP or maybe the Beretta Nano.

I'd love to hear some advice from those who CCW so I can learn and start to narrow the search. I'd like to know about gun size, caliber, revolver or auto-loader. All advice is welcome and thanks in advance.

Librarian
09-24-2011, 2:43 PM
Do you already own any handguns?

Are there any you feel you shoot well?

Since the functionality is really the important part, I think I'd start there.

InGrAM
09-24-2011, 2:49 PM
You want something that you can practice with on a regular bases, and that is Light, small, and comfortable for a hot weather CC gun. There is nothing worse than having to wear extra clothing to cover up a CC gun that is to large :facepalm: You do get used to it. I am at the point where I don't remember to take my CC gun off when I get home.

Suggestions for hot weather CC pistols:
9mm
1. pf-9
2. p-11
3. Smaller Kahrs
4. Kimber solo (awesome gun)
5. ect. Anything that is small, light, and concealable.

Or you could get a 38 snub nose revolver and call it a day.

What I am stressing is that, you want something that you will CC even if you have just a T-shirt on.

People do not notice as much as you might think.

Fjold
09-24-2011, 2:56 PM
I'm carrying a S&W M&P 40C in a Crossbreed Supertuck right now under a pair of cargo shorts and a T shirt. I was in Home Depot and the Supermarket today and no one notices anything.

(I'm 6'2" and 195 Lbs)

greybeard
09-24-2011, 3:00 PM
Are you going in to LE? You may want to check with your department, if they have any regulation about what you can carry.

LloydXmas250
09-24-2011, 3:06 PM
Thanks so far guys.

I do own guns. I have a 1911, a PX4 Storm (which I have considered in sub-compact since I'm familiar with that platform) and a Ruger 22/45.

I'm 6'1'' and 170 lbs.

And yes I'm in LE. I'll be finished with my academy in December. There's no policy about CCW off duty. We've been urged to as well by most instructors. Without saying straight out who I'm employed by, let's just say I'll be carrying an HK P2000 on duty. I know there is the HK P2000sk so I may have to take a look at that.

RollingCode3
09-24-2011, 3:31 PM
Thanks so far guys.

I do own guns. I have a 1911, a PX4 Storm (which I have considered in sub-compact since I'm familiar with that platform) and a Ruger 22/45.

I'm 6'1'' and 170 lbs.

And yes I'm in LE. I'll be finished with my academy in December. There's no policy about CCW off duty. We've been urged to as well by most instructors. Without saying straight out who I'm employed by, let's just say I'll be carrying an HK P2000 on duty. I know there is the HK P2000sk so I may have to take a look at that.

wait until you finish with the academy and start with your new department. you can't just carry whatever you what both on and off duty. Most departments require your off duty weapon to be on their approval list

InGrAM
09-24-2011, 3:45 PM
wait until you finish with the academy and start with your new department. you can't just carry whatever you what both on and off duty. Most departments require your off duty weapon to be on their approval list

It is AZ. I doubt they have requirements like that. Also, Sac county doesn't require you to carry what is on "their list" they don't even have an off duty approved carry list. I think you are getting "back up" handgun and CC firearm confused.

On duty weapons are standardized in most places but off duty firearms are up for grabs in most places. Most places are not far left like SF, LA, ect.

Cyc Wid It
09-24-2011, 3:54 PM
Give the EMP a look.

All I gotta say is: be safe + don't be a moron and send off incriminating e-mails using your department e-mail.

LloydXmas250
09-24-2011, 4:08 PM

Talking with current agents in my agency they haven't heard anything about that for us. Regardless, I won't be buying this gun until after I start so I can get word for sure. But like I said. Multiple agents have told me there's no rule.

InGrAM
09-24-2011, 4:34 PM
Give the EMP a look.

All I gotta say is: be safe + don't be a moron and send off incriminating e-mails using your department e-mail.

Great idea. It is an awesome handgun.

OP: You also might want to check out the new SIG compact 1911's
http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/1911-ultra-nitron.aspx

PRCABR4Christ
09-24-2011, 5:14 PM
What I am stressing is that, you want something that you will CC even if you have just a T-shirt on.

People do not notice as much as you might think.

+1 to that, I carry a Gov't or Commander model 1911 every day, and conceal fine under a t-shirt/polo/hawaiian shirt (I like hawaiian shirts when it's hot because they're light and have good airflow ;) )

When I'm in shorts and a tank top, a J frame or other pocket 9mm+ gun can easily be carried in a pocket holster, but I don't carry guns I can't be accurate with or can't run through a malfunction with my eyes closed.

Bottom line, with a good GUN BELT and holster (I prefer leather, Tim Thurners to be exact), you can conceal most anything you want...

If I wasn't a 1911 addict, I would likely still carry a single stack gun, as they're easy to conceal. I wouldn't worry about rails or anything fancy, just a reliable platform, a good set of sights and a good trigger at minimum. I would suggest a 1911 if you're normally in a t shirt and jeans(living in AZ you can pretty much get whatever you want). I would also suggest something that you can operate under duress, which of course anybody with a trigger finger can operate a revolver, and J frames are great for a pocket gun, just make sure nothing else goes in that pocket ;)

sequoia_nomad
09-24-2011, 6:08 PM
A lot of it would depend on where in AZ you're moving to. The whole state does not have the same climate as Phoenix, a detail overlooked by many in California, I've come to find. Where I'm at, lower to mid 90s is as hot as it typically gets. Anyone that can legally own a firearm in Arizona can carry one, open or concealed, with no permit whatsoever. The only conditions are; you cannot carry anywhere there is a sign prohibiting firearms; and you cannot carry anywhere that sells alcoholic beverages (for immediate consumption) without a state issued CCW permit. In other words, stay out of bars and you're golden.

Since we've been living here, I bought a G23 and an LCP. I carry the Glock day to day in a hip holster, and carry the LCP when I wish to be discreet, such as traveling to Phoenix or other urban areas where open carry is not as common, mostly to avoid being a center of attention. Open carry in Prescott usually goes seemingly unnoticed, and you are seldom the only one doing so.

LloydXmas250
09-24-2011, 8:54 PM
I'd love to pick up an EMP but the price is too high right now. I feel like I'm leaning more towards the single stack 9mms. Are they that much easier to conceal than double stacks or is the difference so marginal it wouldn't matter?

PRCABR4Christ
09-24-2011, 8:56 PM
single stacks are thinner, that's why they conceal so well, I used to carry a Glock (don't tell anybody), but ever since I discovered 1911's a few years ago, there's no going back :)

LloydXmas250
09-24-2011, 9:09 PM
What are some good single stack 9mms? I've found the LC9 and Kahr CW9. I've never handled either but looking at them, they both have things that bug me. I'll need to get hands on. Any other single stack 9s worth taking a look at?

DULLYJAY
09-24-2011, 9:09 PM
I only been CCWing for two days. Its for the most 90-100 temp. where I live.in the summer. Take kids to park daily, up monkeybars down slides. Just a t-shirt & shorts. None of the soccer moms notice when I helped their kids up slide. IWB holster w/1911 3".

Mr310
09-24-2011, 9:16 PM
What about the Seacamp?

Anchors
09-24-2011, 9:33 PM
Desert tan Kel-Tec PF9 in a Crossbreed Supertuck.
Carry it all day, every day when I'm in Arizona.

Printing is actually quite minimal and I don't wear baggy/loose clothing.

You can drop it down to ride deeper and cant it forward in the Crossbreed. That is what I do.

Good luck! Enjoy my home state and protect it well. Haha.

InGrAM
09-24-2011, 9:38 PM
What are some good single stack 9mms? I've found the LC9 and Kahr CW9. I've never handled either but looking at them, they both have things that bug me. I'll need to get hands on. Any other single stack 9s worth taking a look at?

Kimber solo
Kel-tec pf-9
Springer EMP
Just to name a few.

Tiberius
09-24-2011, 11:05 PM
Sig P239. Haven't even held one, but it's on the list of guns to check out.

I thought the EMP was a double stack, but I could be wrong. I'd love to try a Kimber Solo.

PRCABR4Christ
09-24-2011, 11:44 PM
Sig P239. Haven't even held one, but it's on the list of guns to check out.

I thought the EMP was a double stack, but I could be wrong. I'd love to try a Kimber Solo.

EMP is a single stack...

most companies that build 1911's build them in 9mm, if that was my caliber choice that's where I would look ;)

davbog44
09-25-2011, 2:59 AM
I think that if you're going to be issued an HK P2000, then the P2000 SK is the logical choice. First, for the obvious reason that you'd be dealing with same platform, same manual of arms, etc. If the P2000 you'll be issued is LEM, you can get your SK in LEM. If DA/SA, same thing.

The P2000 SK version also has a slight concealment edge over many of its similar sized sub compact competitors due to the shape of the HK slide.

You can buy an X-GRIP for the SK and use the same magazines as the full size P2000 you'll be issued when you can conceal more, and go to the SK magazines when you need deeper concealment.

HK quality, reliability and accuracy is second to none for that type of pistol. In fact I am continually amazed at how well my P2000 SK shoots considering the short barrel. Also, HK's are easy on recoil due to their buffered recoil reduction system.

In a Crossbreed ST or MTAC, the P2000 SK should conceal easily for you tucked under a T-shirt. You will no doubt hear that you also need a good, solid sturdy belt designed to support the weight of a handgun, and this is an absolute necessity.

LloydXmas250
09-25-2011, 6:09 AM
I'd love to get the HK P2000sk or an EMP or another micro 1911 but those are way out of the price range for now. Not even an option, out of the price range. I will eventually get one of those but I would like something more economical for now.

davbog44
09-25-2011, 12:10 PM
I'd love to get the HK P2000sk or an EMP or another micro 1911 but those are way out of the price range for now. Not even an option, out of the price range. I will eventually get one of those but I would like something more economical for now.

You're right, and my suggestion for a P2000 SK didn't take cost into account. The good news is that the P2000 they will issue you is also pretty easy to conceal most of the time.

To go smaller and less cost, there isn't anything that you mentioned (XD, M&P, Glock) in sub compact size that's a poor choice. All of those are excellent. And honestly, getting a J Frame S&W revolver is an excellent choice as well. Many would contend that a little .38 cal snubbie revolver is the perfect back up / deep concealment gun. Plus they're affordable and proven over several decades of use.

blasterman88
09-25-2011, 9:08 PM
I currently have the Kahr P40 and have very mixed feelings about it. I love it when it comes down to conceal. I have a crossbreed ST and it forget its even there. I have had quite a few issues with the weapon. Mostly during break in. The only JHP it will fire is a Hornaday Critical defense. IMHO I think it is an over priced gun and I would not purchase one again. My buddy had a P45 and the whole ejector assy fell out the bottom of the gun with only 40 rounds through it. I have heard the CW9 is the way to go, "if" you decide to go with Kahr.

I have a XD40 as well, i dont like the size, and other then the winter time for me, i dont see this as a useful weapon for CCW. Just not practical.

I just purchased a Kimber CDP Ultra 3inch 1911. After shooting this and wearing this weapon, i dont know why anyone would have anything other then a 1911. They are very accurate, lightweight, single stack, and have a safety. The CDP has a ambi safety which is nice. That is the one thing i dont like about the Kahr, no safety. I like a safety just for piece of mind. The ambi safety is nice cause you can quickly reach down and check it to make sure its engaged. The CDP Ultra is a .45, which I prefer.

I would save your money and buy a EMP or Ultra 1911. Just my opinion but at the end of the day it comes down to personal preference.