PDA

View Full Version : XD Tactical or XD Service 9mm

hardrivr
09-24-2011, 12:44 PM
Okay, I see the deal from Turners for the service with 5 mags for $399 now my brother in law wants to sell his Tactical for $400 with about 200 rounds through it... what does everyone think?

Also, warranty does Springfield transfer it?

Thanks,

Briancnelson
09-24-2011, 1:59 PM
Warranty doesn't transfer. Get the new gun and mags IMO.

3GunFunShooter
09-24-2011, 2:08 PM
What are you going to use it for? I have a XD9 5" for IDPA. Bought it new in 2004, over 10,000 rounds and still shoots great. If you just want a plinking, home defence or carry gun, get the 4".

all torque
09-24-2011, 2:26 PM
I have an XD9 Service and the XD45 Tactical I think that extra is too much for the 9. Get the Service plus you get the extra mags.

AfisBoy
09-24-2011, 3:06 PM
I have an XD9 Service and the XD45 Tactical I think that extra is too much for the 9. Get the Service plus you get the extra mags.

I have both the 4 and 5. I say go with the 4 also.

Gryff
09-24-2011, 5:54 PM
It's personal preference. I much prefer the 5" over the 4" for both competition and recreational shooting, but some people don't like how the 5" slide makes the gun feel top heavy.

Old4eyes
09-24-2011, 6:59 PM
I like the feel of the 5 inch better and I shoot it better than the 4 inch.
If you mount a light on the 5 inch such as a TLR-1, it will be even with the end of the muzzle where the same light on the 4 inch will extend beyond the end of the barrel.
I find the 5 inch easier to rack and my wife shares that opinion.
The 5 inch recoil spring is not captive so changing to a heavier recoil rod will not be as much of a problem.

The 4 inch will clear a holster slightly easier. If you are packing it around, it will be slightly lighter.

Springfield's warranty is lifetime and it follows the gun, whoever owns it at the moment.

08duramax
09-24-2011, 11:38 PM
Warranty will follow the gun. For the first owner to the 100th. I am goig through the same decision minus the great deal on the tactical. If you decide to get the 4" let me know and I will buy the tactical off your brother.

zcktomcat
09-25-2011, 6:49 PM
I have a 4" 9mm and 5" 40 we and my only beef with the 5" is the standard spring is a bit of a ***** to put back in. Otherwise both are fine. Never had a hiccup with either till the extractor broke in the 9mm after roughly 80,000 rounds. Its mainly sight radius vs handlability. Smaller means easier to subtly check out bumps in the night. With the 5" 40 I can hit the big plate @ 100 yds over at the Angeles pistol range at a little over 1 in 2 shots.

Oldnoob
09-25-2011, 7:22 PM
XD just looks fugly when is not in 5" barrel.

Briancnelson
09-25-2011, 7:32 PM
All of you who are telling him the warranty follows the gun are wrong and spreading disinformation.

The warranty does not follow the gun. To double check, I just looked at mine, and the one they posted online. As with ALL gun warranties I am aware of, it extends to the original retail purchaser only.

The exact language is "Springfield, Inc. warrants to the initial retail purchaser that the products it sells will be free of defects in workmanship or material during his or her lifetime as long as he or she owns the product."

They may CHOOSE to repair your secondhand product, but they are not legally required to.

If you want the warranty, get the new gun.

dvsdev
09-25-2011, 8:31 PM
XD just looks fugly when is not in 5" barrel.

I think it's just the opposite. The XD looks best in the 4" barrel and 5" makes it look odd.

Saym14
09-25-2011, 11:00 PM
What are you going to use it for? I have a XD9 5" for IDPA. Bought it new in 2004, over 10,000 rounds and still shoots great. If you just want a plinking, home defence or carry gun, get the 4".

any work done in that 10k rounds? new springs? etc ?

hardrivr
09-26-2011, 1:58 PM
Thanks everyone... I think the new one is the way to go for what I want it to do... in the long run I'm sure there's better guns out there, but for this price I don't think I can go wrong!

Briancnelson
09-26-2011, 2:25 PM
There are, of course, but not by that much, and they cost a lot more. I can upgrade my XD with new parts for years before I hit the cost of a nice 1911 :P And my accuracy with it won't be any better because even the XD's accuracy exceeds my own after a nice trigger job and some new sights.

Took me a couple of expensive guns to figure that out :P Not that I mind, just means I have a couple nice guns.