PDA

View Full Version : Nikon m-223 1-4x20

krazykj03
09-24-2011, 9:45 AM
I was wondering who has this or has used this optic for an ar15? Trying to get into long distance shooting and also up close. It looks like a great optic. But I'm sure there are a lot of good ones out there. Thanks for your help guys.

Droppin Deuces
09-24-2011, 10:42 AM
What's your price range? The minimum I would go on a quality 1-4 style scope is either the Leupold Firedot Patrol or the Vortex Viper PST series.
The Nikon M-223 and Leupold Mark AR 1-4's are nice, but not if you plan to shoot longer distances.
Your success or failure at range will depend a lot on your reticle. At least it does for me.

Rexxss98
09-24-2011, 12:29 PM
I am also in the market for a 1-4 style and so far its I'm debating between the Vortex Viper Vortex PST 1-4 or the SWFA SS Scope with the Donut Reticule. The previous poster is right, alot of your success rate is going to be based on the reticule design. I can't seem to decide if I want a simple design like the Vortex Viper or something more busy like the SWFA....

krazykj03
09-24-2011, 9:58 PM
What's your price range? The minimum I would go on a quality 1-4 style scope is either the Leupold Firedot Patrol or the Vortex Viper PST series.
The Nikon M-223 and Leupold Mark AR 1-4's are nice, but not if you plan to shoot longer distances.
Your success or failure at range will depend a lot on your reticle. At least it does for me.

What kind do you have? I'm really wanting the nikon wIth the 600 bdc reticle. I'm not going for long range on my ar. If anything it will be on a 308 bolt action for long range.

Droppin Deuces
09-25-2011, 8:23 PM
I've got a Leupold Mark AR 3-9x with a mil dot reticle. Not a fan of the dedicated BDC reticles because they are pretty much useless if you happen to use a different ammo than it's designed for. That was my primary reason for going with the Leupold over the Nikon. I have had several different 1-4x scopes and I pretty much decided that for me, if it didn't have some kind of ranging reticle I just didn't like it. I don't like having to guess on holdovers.
Right now, if I were to go with a 1-4x agian, I would choose either the Vortex PST 1-4 or the Leupold VX-R Patrol.

Now, I do also have an ACOG with a BDC reticle that is calibrated for 62grain rounds. I wanted an ACOG really bad, but if I didn't reload my own ammo, I wouldn't have bought it.

Matt P
09-26-2011, 10:41 AM
I have used that Nikon. I enjoy it and still have it on my sons rifle.
I do not like how the turrets work. Too easy to move, bump on.
The retical is very bold.
After trying a low powered sight enhancment, this convinced me to explore further.
That is how I ended up with going with the GRSC. A combination of price/features/small size.
To appreciate or not, look at the owners manual, or check out how the ranging retical works with this glass. It really is quite amazingly simple to use. (Yes, I understand many of us may not be shooting persons. Ed designed the retical for Special Forces/LE work)
I have two of them in La Rues, and love this sight enhancment.
GRSC Scope Page (http://grscinc.com/crs.html)

My first heavy use of it came from a VTAC 1.5 Carbine 3 DAy class. That class was out to 100 yards. I would run this glass again in any carbine class.
I had students hitting out to 300 yards seated on C sized steel with the same.

What I love about this-
-NOT expensive for a 30MM sight enhancement
-Ranging retical, no need to make come ups with turrets
-Lit retical, only good for low light, but has on/off positions in-between each brightness setting. I only need to move the reostat one click either direction to turn off
-First focal plane retical
-Common CR2032 batteries, two extra fit under turret caps
-I know of no other sight enhancment in this price field that offers a retical with as many features. Ed's is patented, and thats why.
-Yes a busy retical, take the time to understand it, and enjoy what it can offer
- right at or under 10 inches length
-Friend/student running one on his gas 308, has harvested 10 or more hogs with it.

Military/LE discounts through Ed. Deal with him direct. He does not wholesale. I was able to do a group buy on them for my students which resulted in a discount.

OpticsPlanet
09-26-2011, 10:51 AM
The Nikon M-223 with a BDC 600 reticle works great! The elevation turret is calibrated for a specific cartridge, but the BDC reticle can be tuned to almost any cartridge on the market (or hand load) with the Spot On Ballistic Match Program (http://www.nikonhunting.com/spoton/tutorial/index.html). However, i do not believe the 1-4 model comes with the BDC 600 reticle. Only the 2-8x and 3-12x models will have that option.

Chase B.

krazykj03
09-26-2011, 2:17 PM
thank you guys for all the info. im just in the market of wanting to get a scope. i dont plan on doing any 3 gun run. i want to look for a scope that i can use on the range. i dont know what i want.. i kind of want one to shoot all around, but i guess it depends on how far i want to shoot, right? maybe want to shoot at 100 yards, and the longer range i will just shoot with a .308.

right now i have a aimpoint micro with BUIS on my 16" ar15.

Droppin Deuces
09-26-2011, 2:54 PM
thank you guys for all the info. im just in the market of wanting to get a scope. i dont plan on doing any 3 gun run. i want to look for a scope that i can use on the range. i dont know what i want.. i kind of want one to shoot all around, but i guess it depends on how far i want to shoot, right? maybe want to shoot at 100 yards, and the longer range i will just shoot with a .308.

right now i have a aimpoint micro with BUIS on my 16" ar15.

You might be surprised by what your AR is capable of. One of mine will put headshots on a human sized silhouette at 500 yards without fail. I don't know, I just find that it's nice to have an optic that will allow the shooter to take advantage of that kind of accuracy. That's why I moved away from the duplex and other non-ranging type reticles.
At any rate, good luck with your search and make sure you give us an update when you make your choice! A good optic will greatly increase the fun factor in your shooting.