PDA

View Full Version : Jumping in the AR game

RippSpeed
09-24-2011, 7:10 AM
I'm trying to purchase or build an AR10. I've never attempted this but I really dont know what is legal or not ... I'm more of a pistol and shotgun guy ...

I want to purchase a 16" POF 308 or something comparable... LMT or LWRC are nice as well but the ones I've seen isnt in a 16" barrel ...

What do I need to purchase one legally in California ??? I know they need a bullet button and a 10rd mag but thats pretty much it... I've looked at the flow chart but I want to purchase a POF 16" 308 online but dont know if I can have it shipped to my FFL dealer here ...

Or should I just order one direct from a Turners or StraightLine Tactical in Anaheim ??? What do you suggest ??? Thank in advance for not flaming me too much ...

Don29palms
09-24-2011, 7:15 AM
I would suggest first learning what is legal and not legal.

RippSpeed
09-24-2011, 7:24 AM
I would suggest first learning what is legal and not legal.

I know it some of it ...
- has to have a 16" barrel or longer
- no detachable magazine ( bullet button )
- 30" minimum with collapsable stock
- cant be chamber in 50bmg
- 10rds max
- no flash hinder or flash hider or silencer but can have a muzzle break or compensator

what I'm really asking is if I order one on the internet can it be shipped to a FFL here ???

kinda like this :
http://www.knesekguns.com/commercial/Patriot-Ordnance-Factory-P308-16-308-Carbine

FeuerFrei
09-24-2011, 7:53 AM
Buy it.
Have it shipped to middleman FFL.
Have FFL remove the pistol grip so FFL can ship to Cali FFL.
Pick up from FFL after 10 days and you install BB then pistol grip.
Done.
The list... http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=320596

osis32
09-24-2011, 7:56 AM
If you have a bullet button you can have a flash hider. Basically have them ship the upper and lower broken apart and have your ffl install a raddlock on it. Then you're good to go.

SanPedroShooter
09-24-2011, 8:08 AM
Your getting your laws mixed up a bit. Easy answer, buy one locally at a CA FFL, that way you know you are in the clear (for the most part). Either have it shipped to your FFL, or buy it in person. Of course, I would be a little nervous if I couldnt explain why my rifle was legal. Then again, you shouldnt be "explaining" anything to a cop, thats what our lawyers are for...

Study the flow chart. Pick out a few different rifles on line and run them thorough the chart. You'll get a better understanding of what you can and cant have. If its legal, have it shipped to your FFL. Call them first. Some are cheaper than others, some have awful service. Where are you located?

Don29palms
09-24-2011, 9:25 AM
There are quite a few out of state FFLs that will install a bullet button before shipping to Kalifornia. On the other hand there are quite a few out of state FFLs that won't send anything to Kalifornia. +1 on just buying from a Kalifornia dealer. You can run into problems from out of state. A friend of mne bought an LMT that had a bullet button installed but didn't have the ambidextrous mag release disabled. He was delivered an assault weapon and didn't know until I pointed it out. Felony felony felony.

captbilly
09-24-2011, 9:34 AM
There are quite a few out of state FFLs that will install a bullet button before shipping to Kalifornia. On the other hand there are quite a few out of state FFLs that won't send anything to Kalifornia. +1 on just buying from a Kalifornia dealer. You can run into problems from out of state. A friend of mne bought an LMT that had a bullet button installed but didn't have the ambidextrous mag release disabled. He was delivered an assault weapon and didn't know until I pointed it out. Felony felony felony.

I am just curious, why are you spelling California with a K, as in Kalifornia. I have got to think it is supposed to carry some message (possibly a joke of some sort) but I seem to have been left out of this one.

infernl
09-24-2011, 9:37 AM
Pretty much everything you need to know for California compliance can be found here. When in doubt, consult the flowchart and information above:

shark92651
09-24-2011, 9:39 AM
I am just curious, why are you spelling California with a K, as in Kalifornia. I have got to think it is supposed to carry some message (possibly a joke of some sort) but I seem to have been left out of this one.

It's a joke. Looks like Cyrillic, equates the state with Communism.

mike_the_wino
09-24-2011, 9:49 AM
Also see PRK, or People's Republic of Kalinornia. I have also see 'Commiefornia' as a variant. With either a C or K.

SanPedroShooter
09-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Yes its an allusion to the cyrillic alphabet, the aphabet of Marx, Lenin and Stalin (actually, now that I think about it, most educated and upper class Russians spoke and wrote French, but whatever) and a comment on California's seemingly neo-marxist values (or lack there of).

I dont do it, but I understand it. These sort of petty jabs just make me feel even more powerless about the massive **** CA takes on gun owners and freedom in general. I cant really explain it. It doesnt give me the satisfaction like a real blood in the streets retaliation would, so I dont do it. Although I have been spelling 0bama's name with a zero. Subtle...

That said, My favorite is Kommieforniastan, with or with out a K.

Buy from a A+ online retailor like RifleGear if you cant find what you want from your LGS, but do you homework either way, the dealer that recievers your transfer can make your life hell. If you post your location, you will get some great recomendations.

Colt-45
09-24-2011, 10:51 AM
I want to purchase a 16" POF 308 or something comparable... LMT or LWRC are nice as well but the ones I've seen isnt in a 16" barrel ...

If you have the funds buy an LWRC Repr, you wont be sorry. They DO come in 16" barrels.

This is how it looks like at 16":

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgFt3QuXK2CjLphC4jdRGSAguyL7NQv isaMbfO9ZogmA0yqSnoaw

NHP1127
09-24-2011, 1:02 PM
Another option is just get an upper in 6.5 Grendel... no FFL, good for distance shooting, uses a standard AR lower.