PDA

View Full Version : Recoil springs wearing out?

AfisBoy
09-23-2011, 10:51 PM
I was listening to a "guntalk" podcast and they were talking about changing your recoil spring every 3000-5000 rounds. Really? I've never done this, and I've got a few guns I've used in competition that I easily have 20,000+ rounds on. Do you guys do this? How do you know when it it time to change one out?

PRCABR4Christ
09-23-2011, 11:04 PM
common problems when recoil springs go out is erratic or weak ejection, failure to fully eject (could be too strong of a spring as well), and slide battering (check the VIS), if you have 20k rounds through a gun from competition I'm guessing you're using reduced power loads, which will wear out springs less

locosway
09-23-2011, 11:18 PM
I was listening to a "guntalk" podcast and they were talking about changing your recoil spring every 3000-5000 rounds. Really? I've never done this, and I've got a few guns I've used in competition that I easily have 20,000+ rounds on. Do you guys do this? How do you know when it it time to change one out?

Glock says 2500 rounds, however this is just what they want to see on service guns. Given the issues a weak recoil spring or broken spring can cause, it's just easier to change out the $7 part every so often.

Do they really need to be changed that often? No, I don't believe so, but if I was carrying a duty gun I would change mine out as the manufacturer recommends.

common problems when recoil springs go out is erratic or weak ejection, failure to fully eject (could be too strong of a spring as well), and slide battering (check the VIS), if you have 20k rounds through a gun from competition I'm guessing you're using reduced power loads, which will wear out springs less

I'm not sure the power level difference matters on spring wear. What does matter is the number of times it's compressed and relaxed.

PRCABR4Christ
09-23-2011, 11:22 PM
Glock says 2500 rounds, however this is just what they want to see on service guns. Given the issues a weak recoil spring or broken spring can cause, it's just easier to change out the $7 part every so often. Do they really need to be changed that often? No, I don't believe so, but if I was carrying a duty gun I would change mine out as the manufacturer recommends.

If you're issued a gun, the dept armorer "should" be doing all maintenance, but I'd double check him just because ;)

I'm not sure the power level difference matters on spring wear. What does matter is the number of times it's compressed and relaxed.

yeah, thats true, but I would think that springs moving slower will wear less than springs moving faster...it's still a good idea to re-spring every 5k or so depending on gun and use, and the spring packs from Wolff are just so convenient :)

RollingCode3
09-23-2011, 11:28 PM
I replace mine at 4k (glock, m&p, etc...). Cheap insurance

AfisBoy
09-23-2011, 11:39 PM
XD 4" and a P99, both 9mm. I generally use reloads.

Falconis
09-23-2011, 11:42 PM
How much do you depend on the gun is the question. Almost have to think of maintenance like you would for your car in a sense.

InGrAM
09-23-2011, 11:55 PM
I have a 1967 Colt Commander that has all of it's original springs. It was carried everyday for 8 years. Still works wonderfully :D I am however, replacing all the springs as soon as they arrive in the mail. I am only doing it for my peace of mind because I will be carrying it soon.

Just an idea of how often springs can last sometimes.

AeroEngi
09-24-2011, 1:24 AM
If you're issued a gun, the dept armorer "should" be doing all maintenance, but I'd double check him just because ;)

yeah, thats true, but I would think that springs moving slower will wear less than springs moving faster...it's still a good idea to re-spring every 5k or so depending on gun and use, and the spring packs from Wolff are just so convenient :)

Spring wear doesn't matter on how fast or slow a spring is compressed. Spring wear, aka fatigue, is only a function of how far the spring is compressed and the number of rounds fired (# of compression cycles). How fast or slow the spring is compressed is irrelevant.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk.

esartori
09-24-2011, 11:22 AM
I was having a some fte's and a new spring fixed that right up

LAWABIDINGCITIZEN
09-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Glock says 2500 rounds, however this is just what they want to see on service guns. Given the issues a weak recoil spring or broken spring can cause, it's just easier to change out the $7 part every so often.

I never thought much of this as a maintenance item unless there was a problem. But I'll start paying attention to it now and get new ones.

Actually, I have changed mag springs though.

Rhythm of Life
09-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Once I get a FTE I change the spring.

That usually is in the 5-7k mark.

Shenaniguns
09-24-2011, 12:32 PM
Absolutely they wear out, replace them when the manufacturer recommends it.

3GunFunShooter
09-24-2011, 2:13 PM
Finally changed my XD9 5" spring after 9000 rounds. Went to a 16 lb. XD 5" are great because they use the same spring as a 1911, and I had a bunch of those. As others have mentioned, cheap insurance.

JTROKS
09-24-2011, 2:30 PM
On my competition guns that have used the same load I usually change the recoil spring every 5 to 6 K. Once the gun start having failure to feed like halfway up the ramp and brass being ejected too far, those are sure signs the recoil spring is done. That only applies to tuned loads, springs and all that. Service guns I usually just change every 6K, but for sharp recoiling guns like 40 S&W I'd say no more than 4K.

IllTemperedCur
09-24-2011, 6:05 PM
I'm a believer in annual spring replacement on any defensive pistol. After all, we're only talking about $20 to completely re-spring most pistols.

One other thing to keep in mind is that if you find someone selling a "problem" gun, often a re-spring job is all that's needed to bring it up to speed. My BHP was like that, about 5-10% FTEs when I first purchased it new. A simple spring set replacement brought it up to 100%. I'd bet money that the FTE problem was the reason the gun was sold on consignment.

1nsanity
09-24-2011, 6:40 PM
I agree with majority here. Most cases, recoil spring should be changed out around 5k but I tend to follow 3k-4k area, roughly. This will help with the longevity of your firearm from extensive frame battering due to a weakened spring. Think of it as cheap preventive maintenance. Most function issues that seem to come up after extensive use with semi auto handguns that have seen some mileage tend to be easily fixed with either a recoil spring change or mag spring change, or both.

PRCABR4Christ
09-24-2011, 6:59 PM
Spring wear doesn't matter on how fast or slow a spring is compressed. Spring wear, aka fatigue, is only a function of how far the spring is compressed and the number of rounds fired (# of compression cycles). How fast or slow the spring is compressed is irrelevant.

I disagree somewhat, I still feel that spring wear will be lessened by shooting low power loads....I do agree that springs should be replaced at 5k rounds +/-, YMMV

AeroEngi
09-24-2011, 8:50 PM
I disagree somewhat, I still feel that spring wear will be lessened by shooting low power loads....I do agree that springs should be replaced at 5k rounds +/-, YMMV

Spring wear will be lessened by shooting lower power loads but not because the slide/spring is moving slower. It's because the weaker loads put less force and stress on the recoil spring, therefore giving your recoil spring a longer life.