PDA

View Full Version : Worth Waiting?

Bowhunter_619
09-23-2011, 9:46 PM
I am looking for a complete upper assembly and was wondering would it be worth waiting for the Crossroads Gun Show at Del Mar or would I be better off just ordering online?

5.56 desired, will be utilized for occasional target shooting no more than 150 yards on paper with an occasional varmint mixed in.

Not looking for a hunting rifle or precision bench rifle; I have bolt actions for that.

Thanks in advance.

Dee

tomd1584
09-23-2011, 9:47 PM
order something online and have it within 3-5 days...

Bowhunter_619
09-23-2011, 9:50 PM
Gun show deals are non existant or not big enough to even worry about from your experience?

order something online and have it within 3-5 days...

cfusionpm
09-23-2011, 9:58 PM
When you factor in the cost of ticket and parking (11$ and 9$), plus the fact that you have to pay tax on purchase, you'd be just as well ordering online. If you were going to the show anyway (and perhaps a friend drove/covered parking) and just happened to get some ammo, you might be able to find some decent deals, but only really if you bought a lot. And from what I noticed going to the last two is that prices went up at least $1 a box of 20 for each kind of round I was shopping for.

I've since started ordering in bulk off cheaperthandirt.com and have been pleased with my purchases. I personally like American Eagle AR 5.56 (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=2-FEXM193BL), which I bought 1000 rounds of not too long ago. That was cheaper than I saw at the last gun show and should last me some time.

MrPlink
09-23-2011, 10:10 PM
you never know what you might find at a show.

That said, most of the stuff at gun shows are just random no name parts being sold as an upper. If you know what you are looking at, you may find a good deal, otherwise buyer beware

Pryde
09-23-2011, 10:14 PM
A gunshow is the worst place to buy AR parts. As previously stated most of the uppers sold there are just no-name low-quality parts being hawked at a marked-up price. I haven't seen a good deal at the crossroads show since 2007.

justjeff
09-23-2011, 10:19 PM
you never know what you might find at a show.

That said, most of the stuff at gun shows are just random no name parts being sold as an upper. If you know what you are looking at, you may find a good deal, otherwise buyer beware

+1 for this !!! I don't even bother to buy a ticket unless I carpool and in need some weird ammo (which they normally up-mark) or odd and end parts shop online

tomd1584
09-23-2011, 10:34 PM
Gun show deals are non existant or not big enough to even worry about from your experience?

just mostly crap.

Bowhunter_619
09-23-2011, 11:27 PM
Point Taken, thanks alot for the input from all. Great advice; Riflegear.com here I come

motorwerks
09-23-2011, 11:41 PM
Check out Rainer too, I've had great luck with them.

pacifico23
09-24-2011, 6:20 AM
I wouldnt buy a upper from a gunshow. I dont trust like any of those uppers unless its from a reputable booth. But those guys usally have their stuff online. I would def fet something online. Keep a look out. If you caan wait a couple months I think Armalite will be having their annual Thanksgiving day sale. Some of the best deals for uppers when that sale comes around.

Don29palms
09-24-2011, 7:13 AM
I find it hard to believe that people still buy anything from the crooks at Cheaper Than Dirt.

crazychinaman
09-24-2011, 8:28 AM
If you know what you want and like ,Buy it online and save the hassle.I prfer to see what I am buying than buying online on some things.The Del mar show is not that big.If you want to go to a big show with a lot of vendors sellling Ar stuff ,like factory direct Dpms ,Pof,Lmt and a couple of other companies,Also some show off new stuff .Kind of a mini SHOT show .Wait and drive to Phoenix in December for the Small Arms Review gunshow at the Phoenix fairgrounds.The biggest gun show on the west coast.Me and about six of us have been going for about twelve years now.That is the only show I go anymore.

cfusionpm
09-24-2011, 9:18 AM
I find it hard to believe that people still buy anything from the crooks at Cheaper Than Dirt.

Why are they crooks?

tomd1584
09-24-2011, 10:48 AM
Point Taken, thanks alot for the input from all. Great advice; Riflegear.com here I come

OR, since you're in Temecula, you could make the short little trip to Riflegear and have instant gratification!

Quinc
09-24-2011, 11:48 AM
Why are they crooks?

Find much better ammo deals @ slickguns.com, and they wont even ship an AR butt stock or anything that could be used on a black rifle to CA...

cfusionpm
09-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Find much better ammo deals @ slickguns.com, and they wont even ship an AR butt stock or anything that could be used on a black rifle to CA...

Of the things I ordered off CTD, prices were either about the same, or cheaper on CTD. Specifically the American Eagle 7.62x51 ($0.85/rd vs $0.95/rd shipped) and German DAG surplus 7.62 NATO (both about $0.51/rd shipped), and usually shipping is cheaper the more you order, whereas it seems a flat rate for each on slickguns (all are advertised as "shipped" prices, so it's not calculated separately). I've only ever ordered ammo from them. Evil Black Rifle stuff, I usually order from Riflegear since I get it overnight for no extra cost (their warehouse is ~2hrs north of me).