View Full Version : Arsenal SGL23-61 vs. Interarms AK

09-23-2011, 9:43 PM
I am in the market for an AK and am torn between the Arsenal 23-61 and Interarms AK. I love the wood furniture on the Interarms, but was under the impression the Arsenal is a better build. Does anyone have any feedback on this?

Arsenal 2361

Interarms AK

Thanks in advance!

09-23-2011, 11:55 PM
the arsenal will have a slightly better finish but the mag lock the use is a deal breaker for me. i havn't really heard anything bad about the interarms but it does have a u.s. made barrel so i'm not sure about barrel longevity.

09-24-2011, 12:27 AM
if Arsenal is in the top tier and a WASR is at the bottom then Interarms in in the middle but they are leaning towards the higher end. If it were up to me I would go with interarms for a few reasons one being the mag lock and two for the ****ty customer service in the past. But ultimately it's your money and if you feel the Arsenal is a better buy then get the Arsenal.

09-24-2011, 12:36 AM
I'm sure you can't go wrong with either. I personally own an Arsenal, love it.

09-24-2011, 12:50 AM
The interarms comes parkerized I believe.My Aresenal's don't have the best finish so I'm not sure I would say they are better in that dept.

09-24-2011, 8:20 AM
Good Luck!
See I can hold back sometimes.
No I cant.
Get the interarms.

09-24-2011, 9:13 AM
Neither. Buy a Saiga in sporter configuration and convert it yourself. Its easy, can be done in just a few hours, and will cost you less than the Arsenal.

09-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Neither. Buy a Saiga in sporter configuration and convert it yourself. Its easy, can be done in just a few hours, and will cost you less than the Arsenal.

A full conversion to the level of either interarms or arsenal takes more than just a few hours.

09-24-2011, 10:39 AM
Depends on what you want. The mag lock on the SGL isn't bad, i had mine replaced for 65 dollars. But do you like a more modern look? Or the original AK look? When I was AK shopping i was looking to get the Interarms but they were sold out so i got the SGL from my local gun shop. I liked the original look but i didn't want to wait. The SGL is very nice and i put wood but with the 90 degree gas block and the stupid AK74 style muzzle break, it does NOT look like the original ones. Functions like one though and that's what matters to me. I love my Arsenal but its up to you, they both are good. One is just more modernized than the other.

09-24-2011, 10:58 AM
I am not a fan of Arsenal saigas, but Arsenal company has been around for a long long time.

09-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Arsenals are nothing more than converted Saigas with plastic furniture and a crappy rattlecan paint job. I don't know about Interarms. If it's just premium wood furniture you want, you can buy a WASR (it will function just as well as an Arsenal or any other AK) and put some Ironwood Creations furniture on it. That way, you'll have better finished metal than an Arsenal and top of the line wood. The working action of an AK is so easy that it take a lot of hard word by complete morons (IO is a prime example) to screw it up so, don't worry about the functioning of a WASR at all.

09-24-2011, 11:35 AM
If you have the choice to get the 21 over the 23 I would go for that, but converting a 23 isn't hard either. Between the two yes I would naturally say the arsenal since I do own one. You can convert a saiga if working on your gun is your cup of tea as well (and you have the time/patience/tools), but at that point why not get it converted? (unless you want to get involved in it's creation/the fun factor). I will say from the perspective of an owner of an arsenal rifle mine has run beautiful and I love mine. There is not a time where I have regretted the money I have spent on it. As far as the mag lock on the 23 I was able to live with it for a little while....and then I switched it :). Good luck with whatever you choose it's an AK either way so you win :)

09-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Also: stamped v.s milled receivers, if that matters to you.

09-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies! I have thought about the Saiga conversion, but honestly i still haven't converted my Saiga 12 yet (its on the never ending to do list).

09-24-2011, 3:57 PM
Screw sgl. Like csacannoneer said a wasr is just as good and half the price.

09-24-2011, 5:43 PM
I too am looking for another AK47 pattern rifle, but this time for the wife. Since I got the SGL(please don't crucify me for I knew not what I was doing), I was hoping to get a different brand than another expensive SGL. I keep hearing mixed reviews about wasrs and honestly with beginners like us we really don't know what to look for or who to ask to help us(unbiased) with getting one that's good. That Interarms AK47 looks very tempting. Not too expensive and I hear alot of good things about it. I'm hoping to get the woodstock version. It's either another AK or an AR. Asked the wife if she wanted something pricey or something that was "ugly" but would get the job done. Her response was "I want something that would kick alot of @$$" Bless her little heart. I guess we're going for another AK.....;)

09-24-2011, 6:14 PM
I love my Interarms AK. It shoots great, it was cheaper than an Arsenal and functions the same. Plus the milsurp bulgy furniture is nice as well. As far as barrel longevity... AR barrels are US made, why would a US made AK barrel be of any less quality?

You could get a wasr, but everyone has one... go for the Interarms :D