PDA

View Full Version : Don't have to wait 30 days between handguns?

Dannicus
09-23-2011, 10:35 AM
(PC section 12072(a)(9))

(9) (A) No person shall make an application to purchase more than
one handgun within any 30-day period.
(B) Subparagraph (A) shall not apply to any of the following:
(viii) Any transaction conducted through a licensed firearms
dealer pursuant to Section 12082.

I can actually DROS more than one handgun within a 30 day period as long as they are PPTs?:confused:

joefreas
09-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Yes, PPT handguns are exempt from the 1 in 30 rule.

Dannicus
09-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Does that include consignments?

nbkvig2
09-23-2011, 10:57 AM

Consignments are still subject to 30 days. You can PPT as many handguns as you want, still gotta register them individually though.

Ksmash01
09-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Consignments are still subject to 30 days. You can PPT as many handguns as you want, still gotta register them individually though.

Wrong(In Bold).

If that were true, I wouldn't have been able to take possession of my P99 and my SP101 at the same time.

djleisure
09-23-2011, 11:13 AM
I believe we need a little definition clarity. "Used" and "consignment" are two different things. If you buy a used handgun from an FFL, then you are still subject to the 30 day wait. If you buy a consignment handgun that you find at an FFL, then you are technically still doing a PPT (the FFL is just facilitating the transaction) with it and would not be subject to the 30 day wait. Unless of course you are in LA proper, where you have to wait 30 days regardless. :)

Dannicus
09-23-2011, 2:48 PM
Yes, PPT handguns are exempt from the 1 in 30 rule.

Just to be clear here, PPTs don't don't count as a purchase according to the 30 day rule? Does that mean you can purchase a brand new handgun from a shop within 30 days of purchasing a used handgun via PPT?

richie3888
09-23-2011, 3:29 PM
Just to be clear here, PPTs don't don't count as a purchase according to the 30 day rule? Does that mean you can purchase a brand new handgun from a shop within 30 days of purchasing a used handgun via PPT?

Yes

jessegpresley
09-23-2011, 9:11 PM
Get a C&R and a COE and buy as many handguns as you want. Neither are hard to get or very expensive.

Rauwelt
09-24-2011, 5:41 AM
Whats the process for that?

den888
09-24-2011, 7:34 AM
I have purchased a consignment and a PPT the same day at an FFL. Picked them both up after a 10 day wait.

ke6guj
09-24-2011, 9:03 AM

cosingments are usually processed as a PPT so they would be exempt from the 30-day rule. That is why off-roster handguns can be cosigned and sold to people who are not roster-exempt.

Now, if the gunshop accidentily DROSes that cosignment as a regular DROS and not a PPT DROS, then the 30-day rule does apply.

rogervzv
09-24-2011, 9:09 AM

Hmm. That is not how it worked for me. I bought a consignment pistol one time and the FFL wrote it up as a PPT. It was not subject to the 30 day rule; I was a few days into DROS of a new pistol at the time.

MrExel17
09-24-2011, 9:13 AM
Thats right dont have to wait 30 days as long as its PPT, the only problem is finding the right gun!

Dhena81
09-24-2011, 9:21 AM
Get a C&R and a COE and buy as many handguns as you want. Neither are hard to get or very expensive.

Don't quote me but I think this has changed I think I remember seeing this in the 2A section.

timdps
09-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Don't quote me but I think this has changed I think I remember seeing this in the 2A section.

That was just a matter of the dealer using the correct exemption for the DROS. If he uses the C&R exemption it won't go through.

ke6guj
09-29-2011, 7:47 AM
30 day rule applies to new guns only.incorrect. 30-day rule applies to all handguns transfered through a dealer, new or USED, with limited exemptions for stuff like PPTs. But you can't buy 2 used handguns from a dealer and DROS them at the same time.

PPT can DROS up to 5 guns at one timewhere is this "5 guns" limit that you talk about?

scarville
09-29-2011, 7:48 AM
Wrong(In Bold).

If that were true, I wouldn't have been able to take possession of my P99 and my SP101 at the same time.
In about a week, I will pick a consigned 22/45 and a new GSG 1911 22 I bought on the same day. If that is not legal, I'd certainly like to know.

djleisure
09-29-2011, 11:01 AM
In about a week, I will pick a consigned 22/45 and a new GSG 1911 22 I bought on the same day. If that is not legal, I'd certainly like to know.
Most likely the consignment was DROSd as a PPT and the GSG 1911 was DROSd through the FFL. They wouldn't have done it otherwise.

unusedusername
09-29-2011, 2:00 PM

Wrong(In Bold).

That depends on how the consignment is done.

It is legal to loan a gun for less then a month. If the owner loans the gun to the shop then the shop puts it on display, it is still owned by the seller. When it is sold then it is a PPT. This, however, means the shop can't have it for more then a month and the shop's insurance won't cover it if it is damaged/stolen.

The other method is to sign over the gun with a purchase contract. The seller transfers the gun to the dealer, and then the dealer can have it for more then a month and the dealer's insurance will cover any losses. The downside to this is that then the seller would have to DROS the pistol back to him/herself if it is not sold. This method triggers the 1-in-30 rule as it is being sold from store stock (as it is owned by the store at this point).

Many dealers around the bay area require method #2 since they don't want uninsured guns in their display cases, nor do they want the liability of accidentally holding a loaned gun for more then 30 days.

bwiese
09-29-2011, 2:22 PM
The 1-in-30 days rule applies to (hard to phrase exactly) "guns owned by the gunshop." This law was
really aimed at new handguns, but applies also to used guns in shop inventory.

Consignment handguns & handguns transferred via PPTs (or other operation of law, generally) aren't
owned by the FFL.

[This is why the non-Rostered handguns owned by gunshops when SB15 'safe handgun laws' went into
effect became "dead inventory". They could not be transferred via PPT - even from shop to owner - and
were not consignment guns either. These could only thus be sold out of state to/thru FFL, to a CA LEO,
or (at least today) converted to 12133PC Roster-exempt, dimensionally-compliant single-shot pistol or
single-action revolver form and then legally re-sold as such inside CA.]
Acquiring (or disposing) of handguns (or long guns, for that matter) via PPT or consignment sale simply
does NOT interfere/interact with the 1-in-30 transfer restrictions on shop-owned handguns.
Acquiring (or disposing) of handguns via sale to/by gunshop & subject to 1-in-30 day restriction also does
not interfere or interact with frequent acquisition of PPT or consignment handguns (or any other guns, for
that matter).
Separately from CA law issues, if multiple handguns acquired - via PPT/consignment or a mix of PPT and/or
consignment handgun(s) plus a shop-owned handgun - within a 5 day time window, then a 'multiple sale
report' to the BATF is required.

Sometimes the BATF calls back to ask questions about the buyer (in my case it was, "Oh, that's crazy ol'
Bill, he likes classic revolvers and S&W autoloaders...") - and 99.9% of time no drama ensues.

dirtracer27x
09-30-2011, 7:00 AM
ok so why isnt a internet sale considered a ppt?here my scenerio........bought a glock on the 10th of sept,received it on the 21st.while waiting for the glock found a great deal on a used .40 on gunbroker so i bought it.it arrives to my ffl today.do i need to wait till the 10th to start dros or can this be drosed as a ppt?

morrcarr67
09-30-2011, 7:16 AM
ok so why isnt a internet sale considered a ppt?here my scenerio........bought a glock on the 10th of sept,received it on the 21st.while waiting for the glock found a great deal on a used .40 on gunbroker so i bought it.it arrives to my ffl today.do i need to wait till the 10th to start dros or can this be drosed as a ppt?

Because a PPT is only between 2 CA residents and done FTF @ your LGS. Seeing as you did not buy from someone in CA and they can't meet you @ your LGS you will have to wait 30 days to DROS the 2nd gun.

dirtracer27x
09-30-2011, 12:03 PM
ok so the 10th it is ;(