PDA

View Full Version : Community Improvement Officer.... Idea

sfpcservice
09-23-2011, 9:27 AM
I'm sure I'm not the 1st to think of this, but I wanted to get reactions from people actually doing this job already. My concept is a spin of the "Community Service Officer" Position.

The Idea would be for Local PD's to employ someone who's primary function is to enforce quality of life statues, like Jaywalking, boom cars, loitering, smoking in car with kids... Basically the laws intended to make a community a nicer place, but that regular officers haven't got the time to enforce.

My original idea was that the officer's position could be funded through the citation revenue, but a Sworn Officer I know here in the Bay Area informed me this morning that the county gets most of the citation revenue that is written by Local PD.

If the revenue stream could be fixed (in a perfect world) do you guys think this would have a positive impact on a community? If the revenue issue were fixed I suppose you could hire a regular officer as well and just detail one to this function everyday...?

mej16489
09-23-2011, 9:35 AM
That sounds like a new reality tv show ... Nanny-Cop! :)

If the revenue stream could be fixed (in a perfect world) do you guys think this would have a positive impact on a community? If the revenue issue were fixed I suppose you could hire a regular officer as well and just detail one to this function everyday...?

Personally I think if these sorts of laws (generally victim-less) are regularly enforced - all it will do is create an increased level of anti-LEO sentiment. So, although it might in theory make the community a better place, its may also have the unintended effect of making the local nice community hate the local LEOs.

415dog!
09-23-2011, 9:37 AM
Most municipal agencies already have similar details. Ours is called COPPS. I find that those details cater to the main complainants of the city. But when its done right and cits work with the unit their QOL improves

sfpcservice
09-23-2011, 9:43 AM
That sounds like a new reality tv show ... Nanny-Cop! :)

Personally I think if these sorts of laws (generally victim-less) are regularly enforced - all it will do is create an increased level of anti-LEO sentiment. So, although it might in theory make the community a better place, its may also have the unintended effect of making the local nice community hate the local LEOs.

I get what you're saying. But I think a lot of the people this would end up targeting already have a deep seated hate for LEO.

TheExpertish
09-23-2011, 3:04 PM
I get what you're saying. But I think a lot of the people this would end up targeting already have a deep seated hate for LEO.

I get what you're saying, but then you're asking to target "those people" who are specifically making the situation worse with what I see will likely be little improvement. People with that kind of contempt for simple laws will always have that contempt. Building on that, the PC you cite for the "usual suspects" is what I want to pull them over or get in their pockets for an arrest stat. What you suggest looks like to me is a powder keg for a CSO to get in over their head. 415dog! described is COPPS, or Community Oriented Policing and Problem Solving, which does pretty much what you want but using a sworn officer. The program is fairly successful in the cities it's used. Read up on it and see if you think it fits what you were wanting.