View Full Version : Eotech + Magnifier or Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24

09-23-2011, 8:46 AM
Sup Guys!

I wanted to update my optics on my 16" AR-15 and was wondering if any of u guys could give me some pros and cons. I want to get some tighter groups at 100 yards and beyond. I thought the Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 is a good place to start due to some good reviews and what u get for the money. I've had some range time with a Eotech at 50 yards but never thru a magnifier. I was thinking maybe a Eotech + Lucid 2x- 5x Variable Magnifier or a Primary Arms Magnifier. I am open to other brands as well but I'm not willing to spend more than $1000. Thanks!

09-23-2011, 8:59 AM
Viper all the way.
Very impressive optic for the money!
If you are near Thousand Oaks, you are more than welcome to look through mine.

09-23-2011, 9:05 AM
I have the EOTech + Lucid 2-5X combo nd it's very good for contact distance out to 400-500Y for COM shots. But if you're looking to make tiny holes at 100Y, get a dedicated scope.

09-23-2011, 9:05 AM
If you really want to get the groups tighter, the Viper PST would probably be the best choice. A solid variable optic with a thin subtension reticle center would be ideal for you. I have used both, I do love the MPO's from EOTech and they work great. Perfect for me when i was punching 5'' plates from 50-300 yards, but I would tip my hat to the PST if you really want to focus on getting a tigher group.

Trevor B

09-23-2011, 9:22 AM
Well I guess I'll look into the Viper then unless u guys recommend any other brands in that price range. Thanks!

HK Dave
09-23-2011, 9:35 AM
For a tighter group, the Viper would probably be better.

For CQB, the Eotech would probably be better.

Keep in mind, the Vipers illumination isn't anywhere near as bright as the Eotech, nor as easy to pick up with the fact that you have eye relief to deal with.

You should also take a look at SWFA SS 1-4x with Donut Reticle.

09-25-2011, 6:57 AM
The SWFA SS 1-4x with Donut Reticle looks really nice. But after staring at both the Vortex and SWFA reticule in pictures I found online, I seem to like the Vortex one better. The SWFA reticule seems too busy....maybe its just me.

HK Dave
09-25-2011, 7:27 AM
Personally I like the swfa 1-4 t reticle. I think it's the least busy of the bunch. It's also very bright when lit so could act as a guide like a red dot.

09-25-2011, 8:00 AM
I just looked and saw that ur from Rowland. I'm up North now and I really miss the food there. I'll look into them both some more. Theres a optic place near my place that stocks them...I'll give them a try and see what they look like .

HK Dave
09-26-2011, 6:41 AM
The food here is unbelievable... but it's gotten too busy... it doesn't feel like a suburb anymore but more like busy downtown.

10-23-2011, 11:45 AM
I had a 3x Vortex magnifier with a Larue FTS mount on my AR-15 with a 512 Eotech. I ended up getting rid of the magnifier and fts mount and just left the Eotech on there. With a magnifier, you add a bunch of extra weight and get very little extra benefit. I found that what I could do with the 3x magnification, I could just as easily do with the Eotech alone. Plus I needed a scope for my .308 AR so I got the Vortex PST 1-4x24. Now that I have both, i'd MUCH rather have the 1-4x24 over the magnifier+Eotech combo. Sure the brightness is not the same, but the eye relief is sooooo much better with the 1-4x24, better field of view and much better glass clarity (fewer panes of glass to look through = better, clearer light transmission).

So in conclusion, I would either go with an Eotech alone, or go with the 1-4x24. I just didnt get that much of a benefit with the 3x magnifier.

10-23-2011, 11:51 AM
I use a Burris 332 Prism and I can put all 5 sometimes just 4 at 500 yards on a shoot and see target that about 8" across Using handloads and M-193 F
It's accurate! The Primary Arms 3X is nice to but the cross hairs cover up the target.