PDA

View Full Version : My 1st AR Build

mcisniper
09-22-2011, 6:42 PM
Since I drive by JD Machine ( http://jdmachinetech.com/ ) EVERY day to and from work, I decided to stop by and drool. I ended up walking out with a upper and my lower is in jail (for now).

I have a few questions. I understand opinions and have used the (search function) but still have a few questions. All of my experience has been with Marine issued A2's, A4's and M4's.

1. What is the difference in bolts? As long as it meets HPT and MPI and the gas key is staked is there a difference between standard bolts? I understand the coatings are for friction reduction/looks/cleanliness.

2. What is the difference between SS barrels and chrome lined?

3. Is a 223. Wylde barrel worth it or is a 5.56 one fine for zombies?

Thanks

Michael

mlevans66
09-22-2011, 7:02 PM
Since I drive by JD Machine ( http://jdmachinetech.com/ ) EVERY day to and from work, I decided to stop by and drool. I ended up walking out with a upper and my lower is in jail (for now).

I have a few questions. I understand opinions and have used the (search function) but still have a few questions. All of my experience has been with Marine issued A2's, A4's and M4's.

1. What is the difference in bolts? As long as it meets HPT and MPI and the gas key is staked is there a difference between standard bolts? I understand the coatings are for friction reduction/looks/cleanliness.
Just get a BCG from Stag, BCM or somebody and you'll be fine.
2. What is the difference between SS barrels and chrome lined?
Chrome protects better but some what effect accuracy
3. Is a 223. Wylde barrel worth it or is a 5.56 one fine for zombies?
Stop with the zombies and look into the twist rate. What does your upper say?
Thanks
Michael

Answers in bold but I'm sure other will chime in. Post pics

mcisniper
09-22-2011, 7:27 PM
Thanks, the upper says 5.56. So, that means i need a 5.56mm barrel.

I thought the milspec barrels are chrome lined. I shot matches one year with my standard A2, the one I humped around the desert and shot many a range with for a year. No accuracy issues; it was usually the dope behind the rifle not the dope on the rifle.

I'm not looking to keyhole shots at 50yds. I want something that will last and allow me to reach out and touch some... thing.

Thanks,
Michael

shooterfpga
09-22-2011, 7:40 PM
chrome lined is what you want. SS is for those that are either into shiny, or into trying to squeeze the butt hair of extra accuracy out of it. im guessing you have a stripped upper as part of a matched set from jd. whatever barrel you get, if you get a .223 make sure its wylde, otherwise you will not be able to shoot 5.56 out of it. the bolt doesnt matter, just buy one from bcm.

MrExel17
09-22-2011, 8:15 PM
Walk in to "JUST" look/drool then walk out with products....:kest::clap::rofl:

mcisniper trust me I am not laughing at you, I do the same thing, cheers and congrats on the purchase. I agreed with the comments above.

Keep us posted on the final product, and thanks for sharing!

mcisniper
09-22-2011, 9:23 PM
Thanks MrExel. JD is a 1st class operation. I will keep everyone posted.

October
09-22-2011, 9:25 PM
i have a jd upper and lower. great work from them