PDA

View Full Version : Magpul B.A.D. Lever

Yodax109
09-22-2011, 4:17 PM
Tried searching for this, but met with no luck. I'm assuming I just didn't look in the right place, so if you could provide me with a link it would be appreciated!

What are your thoughts on it- good/bad? I've heard it's caused some rifles to go into battery prematurely, has anyone else had that experience?

Merc1138
09-22-2011, 4:29 PM
http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Acalguns.net+magpul+bad+lever

joshxcuh1
09-22-2011, 4:30 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=b.a.d+lever+reviews+calguns

SDRider858
09-22-2011, 4:34 PM
BAD lever came highly recommended to me, and IMO definitley makes a difference when your manipulating the action on the gun. I havent had any issue with accidental releases.

zfields
09-22-2011, 4:34 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=b.a.d+lever+reviews+calguns

The sarcastic LMGTFY links are so much better when you imbed them instead of just posting the HTML

Like this (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+make+a+link+on+a+forum)

That way they know you arent just being a douche off the bat.

CK_32
09-22-2011, 4:35 PM
Try magpul.com

I think it's one of their useless fixes to somethin that wasn't a problem in the first place. I think it's a useless toy some thing its the hand of god. I say save your money and get something more useful with it but like I said some people love it.

Norcal Industries
09-22-2011, 4:39 PM
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MAG980.aspx nice accessory, cant go wrong for $30. gotta be more useful than a laker jersey.....

shafferds
09-22-2011, 4:52 PM
It works great if your a lefty.

Tinfoil_Hat
09-22-2011, 4:53 PM
I like it on my range/plinking AR15 for the convenience factor, but be advised that if you put it on something you'll carry around or take classes with, you'll have to train with it to avoid accidental release. It's definitely a "nice to have" piece for bench/stationary range sessions but I don't think I would put one on something I would train/move around with.

Clutch-n-Throttle
09-22-2011, 4:59 PM
+1. Went to the range today. It was nice to pop the BB with the tool attached to the mag, drop the empty, slam in the new mag and hit the BAD lever. All with one hand

09-22-2011, 4:59 PM
What are your thoughts on it- good/bad?

Good.

I've heard it's caused some rifles to go into battery prematurely, has anyone else had that experience?

I've not had one malfunction due to the B.A.D..

h0use
09-22-2011, 5:00 PM
i own the bad lever and the one TROY makes. i like the one from TROY a little bit better

sevensix2x51
09-22-2011, 5:02 PM
I love it. I wouldn't run my carbines without it. It is only like a half second faster during a reload, but for clearing malfunctions and actually operating the bolt in a 2pt sling, it is worth its weight in gold.

JMHO.

djleisure
09-22-2011, 5:02 PM
I have them on all my AR's (including my AR pistol) not because they are essential (they aren't) they just enhance a feature that is somewhat lacking on an AR (especially when clearing malfunctions.) If it breaks or falls off, so what? I can still use the regular ol' bolt catch.

mlevans66
09-22-2011, 5:31 PM
I got'em and love'em. Here's a REAL link that has them on sale.

http://www.aresarmor.com/install/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=MAG980

andrewj
09-22-2011, 5:57 PM
I used to have one on my carbine and loved it. I would still be using it if I didn't revert back to a KISS rifle.

Speaking of which:

Anybody using a B.A.D. and an A2 grip? Do you have to re-arrange you grip to use it? When I ditched my MIAD grip and went back to an A2 grip, the B.A.D. lever had become very difficult to use. The tip of my index finger over reached the B.A.D. lever and at that point, it just became a hindrance.

rromeo
09-22-2011, 6:41 PM
I would use Magpul toothpaste if could find it. I had a B.A.D. lever on my AR, but I found myself still just pressing the release in the normal place, so I removed it. It's not bad, just that habits are hard to break after 17 years.

triggs75
09-22-2011, 7:11 PM

+2 Lefty here and they work great

Chad

NYY
09-22-2011, 7:18 PM
dude i love it a lot. helps a crap load

Low-Pressure
09-22-2011, 7:40 PM

^^^Agreed^^^

WW2Buff
09-22-2011, 7:59 PM
I tried a BAD on my first AR and thought it was cool and handy but didn't realize how much I appreciated it until I got a second AR. The minute I started using them without one I realized how much of a great accessory it is, and for cheap too! Go for it!

MrExel17
09-22-2011, 8:10 PM
I like the BAD Lever! Just checked out Magpul.com and its there

http://store.magpul.com/prod_detail_list/116

As the other member mentioned the TROY looks good too, thats on the next build.

If I may, look into Phase 5 I got one setup on my AR and it looks sick

http://www.phase5tactical.com/products/ar15-m16/ebrv2-

Good luck!

Patrick Aherne
09-22-2011, 8:17 PM
Fine for a competition gun but not a tool for a fighting rifle.

Write Winger
09-22-2011, 8:42 PM
Lefty here too. I dont have one installed yet. I run a featureless build, and I've watched other lefties change mags and push the BAD arm with their thumb, and be ready to rock and roll.

ohlone
09-22-2011, 8:52 PM
agree, i love it coz i am a lefty.

i am not sure it helps for right handers or not, since the BB is there.....

its also great for featureless builds..

tango5
09-22-2011, 9:30 PM
I had my own version of the BAD lever before Magpul went into production with what is on the market today. As of now i run the BAD on my rifle, and i wouldnt change it for anything. If your open minded about reducing the amount of steps in the motions of clearing a jam, checking the chamber, changing mags etc... this is something you should consider trying out. A lot of people say "if it aint broke dont fix it", "its just a toy and isnt for a fighting rifle". Some people just dont like change or have a hard on for disliking Magpul, either way, to each their own.

oni
09-22-2011, 9:38 PM
Like anything that you can put on your rifle its useless if you don't train with it and train on how to use it properly.

Its primary purpose is not for faster reloads but to help you manipulate the bolt faster when you have a malfunction of the rifle.

If you put it on your rifle then train with it. If you don't train you will find yourself releasing the bolt when you don't want to.

I have heard of bolts not locking back because of having it on there. I have not seen it happen but have heard about it.

With all that said I have one on my rifle and I train to use it. I find it very useful tool.

locosway
09-22-2011, 10:06 PM
Try magpul.com

I think it's one of their useless fixes to somethin that wasn't a problem in the first place. I think it's a useless toy some thing its the hand of god. I say save your money and get something more useful with it but like I said some people love it.

I guess you're one of the people who hasn't tried it yet. Everyone I know who runs one loves it. It makes reloading easier, and malfunction drills are far quicker too.

Lets face it, the ergos on the AR platform royally suck. Small improvements like the BAD lever are welcome imo.

jkast003
09-22-2011, 10:18 PM
Here's a good review from a (banned?)member here:

h2dNTRuTlSc

fmunk
09-22-2011, 10:39 PM
It's not a must have. It's a nice to have. If you don't find yourself wishing you had one now, chances are you don't need it.

fmunk
09-22-2011, 10:40 PM
And... It's not an expensive item. Try one if you are curious. Try not to over think it.

zfields
09-22-2011, 10:44 PM
Not a fan of something that you train to use when S___ goes wrong, but is not found on every AR pattern rifle.

Thats just my view on it, take it for what it is.

NYY
09-22-2011, 10:46 PM
it just seems so much faster. the final to steps for firing, your finger is in the same area. (pressing the lever, then firing)

Redlinegts
09-22-2011, 11:08 PM
All of my ARs have BAD levers on them, I can reload just as fast with and without it. The real benefit is that you can keep your hand on fire control the entire time and manipulate the bolt catch(i.e lock it back, releasing...) especially for solving double feed malfunctions. This kind of goes into the Magpul Dynamics theories of efficiency and always being ready for a threat to come out at any time, which is why they created products like this as part of their "theory based products". Doesn't have to work for everyone, but it does come in handy.

RONIN.
09-22-2011, 11:13 PM
All of my bad levers have ar's attached to them.. yes i like it.. yes you got to train with it.. it is a tool.. as is your weapon.. tools you must use to get skills with them.. as with all things.. install any accessories to your ar.. if you want know how to use them.. you must train with them..

ronin.

carnelianbay
09-23-2011, 12:09 AM
If you initially trained without it then I wouldn’t suggest it.

Now imagine being in the field, having to pick up another rifle, and it’s not there. If you choose to train with it then you’ll also need to train without it just in case.

Fate
09-23-2011, 6:19 PM
I prefer the Phase 5v2, but yeah, I'm a fan of these in general.

SIGSHOOTR
09-23-2011, 10:12 PM
Best $30 bucks I spent for my M4.

nbkvig2
09-23-2011, 10:16 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Magpul-Lever-Battery-Assist-Device/dp/B0043XCJHW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316841369&sr=8-1

$25 bucks shipped ;)

MrPlink
09-23-2011, 10:28 PM
mag locked with 10rd mags... you have bigger concerns than hitting your BHO as fast as possible..

If running featureless/raw with pre-bans makes a bit more sense I suppose, but I agree with CK_32, its fixing something that isnt exactly broken...

Lets face it, the ergos on the AR platform royally suck. Small improvements like the BAD lever are welcome imo.

Im openly not the biggest AR fan in the word (despite owning a few) but Id have to say its ergos are probably one of its best features over all.
What would you consider to be even just marginally superior that is of common use?

Murderface
09-24-2011, 2:52 PM
I have heard of bolts not locking back because of having it on there. I have not seen it happen but have heard about it.

I have the above issue only with 10/20 mags, any brand. Lever works fine with 10/30s though.

Seems like the added weight on the bolt catch and the lighter tension on the mag springs in the 10/20s is what is causing my problems.

Not really a big deal to me though. I really like being able to lock my bolt back without having to switch hands.

CK_32
09-24-2011, 3:43 PM
It's not a must have. It's a nice to have. If you don't find yourself wishing you had one now, chances are you don't need it.

Not a fan of something that you train to use when S___ goes wrong, but is not found on every AR pattern rifle.

Thats just my view on it, take it for what it is.

:iagree:

infernl
09-24-2011, 4:20 PM
I've got a B.A.D. lever on my current AR, and will use one on the follow up AR I'm building. For me, there was no learning curve to begin using it - and it just smooths out the general operation of the rifle in general.

Where's my Kool-Aid???

mrvash
09-24-2011, 5:01 PM
I'm left-handed and I love my BAD lever.

fmunk
09-24-2011, 5:14 PM
25 bucks from amazon. Get it, try it, don't stress over it.

BigFatPanda
09-24-2011, 7:17 PM
Really liking the BAD lever. Greatly improves usability. Sadly now that I am use to it I find it hard to use another AR. My finger naturally reaches for the BAD lever only to realize it isn't there. That would be the only downside of having one.

nicoroshi
09-24-2011, 7:44 PM
I have tango5's version still on my ARs (bought them before magpul put out the 'BAD lever').
I am right handed, and love them.

Dreaded Claymore
09-24-2011, 9:05 PM
Here's a good review from a (banned?)member here:

h2dNTRuTlSc

Nah, Booshanky's not banned, he's just sick of being yelled at for being liberal like me. :cool:

Kingpin.SC
09-24-2011, 11:50 PM
Whereas it isn't a necessary mod, here is my opinion:

Buy one... don't look back. I love mine, and will be using one on every AR I build in the future.

secret.asian.man
09-25-2011, 10:02 AM
does it interfere with KNS pins?

fmunk
09-25-2011, 10:07 AM
Don't know. Didn't waste money on those pins.

Dark Mod
09-25-2011, 10:15 AM
meh... This is from the same guys who tell you not to use the slide release on your pistol anymore. Its more important to look "tactical" and release the slide by pulling it back with your weak hand

fmunk
09-25-2011, 10:37 AM
^ You are on confused individual.

There is really no need to have non-rotating pins in a semi-auto as pin walk isn't an issue.

Anyway, staying on topic, The BAD shouldn't interfer as there is some clearance between the lever and receiver.