PDA

View Full Version : New to AK style rifles - just a few questions

eclipse
09-22-2011, 2:11 PM
I have recently gotten the urge for an AK pattern rifle. I am completely new to this type of rifle as the only rifles I own now are AR15 style rifles.

I do not want to spend much money and have read good reviews about the Saiga 7.62x39 rifles. It also sounds like it could be fun to do the AK conversion on it. My question is about pricing on these rifles. What do the Saiga's usually sell for new/used? I have tried searching old sales on calguns but most users delete the sale price after a completed sale (which I don't understand why). Rifle Gear has a Saiga rifle for $409, is this a good price? Any other AK style rifles that would be recommended in the $400-$500 price range?

Thanks for the help!

djleisure
09-22-2011, 2:18 PM
I have recently gotten the urge for an AK pattern rifle. I am completely new to this type of rifle as the only rifles I own now are AR15 style rifles.

I do not want to spend much money and have read good reviews about the Saiga 7.62x39 rifles. It also sounds like it could be fun to do the AK conversion on it. My question is about pricing on these rifles. What do the Saiga's usually sell for new/used? I have tried searching old sales on calguns but most users delete the sale price after a completed sale (which I don't understand why). Rifle Gear has a Saiga rifle for $409, is this a good price? Any other AK style rifles that would be recommended in the $400-$500 price range?

Thanks for the help!
Yeah, I don't understand that either and I hate when people do it. $409 is very good price for a 7.62x39 Saiga if you can pick it up locally. You can also keep your eyes on the "firearms for sale" section here and get already converted Saiga's or Romy G's for $550-$750. It depends on what your preference is. Right out of the box, the standard Saiga is s LOT of fun to shoot and if you get bored with it later, you can easily convert it (fun project!)

zfields
09-22-2011, 2:31 PM
You can find new saigas for 319 at the moment, add in your transfer fee and your about the same price as local ( if you find a non gouging dealer ).

I wouldnt pay much for a used one. Even at normal internet price of 350.

If I was buying a converted, I personally wouldnt pay more then 400-420, since I know I would be tearing it down and checking there work.

M.C.
09-22-2011, 2:33 PM
Call up Red Jacket... they can invent one for you.

:rofl:

Actually, Atlantic has the Interarms IAC47/74 for cheaper than a saiga convert. I bought one, and I am pleased with my purchase.

pacifico23
09-22-2011, 2:34 PM

Thanks for the help!

I just picked up a Saiga 7.62 from rifle gear in fountain valley. Including gas, it was cheaper for me to get it from them than to get it online (cheapest Ive seen is 349.00). If you in the LA/OC area I would recommend going to Rifle gear.

zfields
09-22-2011, 2:36 PM
http://classicarms.us/semi-auto%20rifles.htm

In there email specials, they have the 762x39 at 319 at the moment.

djleisure
09-22-2011, 2:45 PM
http://classicarms.us/semi-auto%20rifles.htm

In there email specials, they have the 762x39 at 319 at the moment.
That would be nice if that was the reality. The reality is, Classic Arms will NOT ship to CA. After all the fees to get it here it would be quite a bit more that that. ;)

zfields
09-22-2011, 2:51 PM
That would be nice if that was the reality. The reality is, Classic Arms will NOT ship to CA. After all the fees to get it here it would be quite a bit more that that. ;)

then you call up arms of america, who price matches any online retailer :)

djleisure
09-22-2011, 2:59 PM
then you call up arms of america, who price matches any online retailer :)
Well there ya have it! I wasn't even aware of that CA friendly dealer. Nice! :)

zfields
09-22-2011, 3:01 PM
Well there ya have it! I wasn't even aware of that CA friendly dealer. Nice! :)

Arms of america is awesome. They matched an expired price from another website on the Saiga 16", even though I wanted a 20". Let me put down 1/2 on there last 20" rifle and payed off the rest a month later.

And just very cool people to deal with.

Dark Mod
09-22-2011, 3:06 PM
I ended up selling mine for $350, not a big fan of the AK platform, but for the platform the Saiga is great. Made at the same izmash factory that the russian AK's are. $409 is a great price at Riflegear, any cheaper than that and your getting into WASR territory and you really dont want to go there.