PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Custom 1911

junkit_boy
09-22-2011, 2:07 PM
I know they are all great, but if you had get one for Christmas, which one would get like in the stocking

esartori
09-22-2011, 2:25 PM
I love the Les Baers. If I only had the money.

dls
09-22-2011, 2:29 PM
I have a Les Baer now,When I get another 1911 I think I'll need a Wilson.

Although I would be very happy with any of those listed,they're the only ones I would consider anyway.

agent.5
09-22-2011, 2:32 PM
How come STI and SVI are not included in the poll?

wash
09-22-2011, 2:36 PM
What about Valtro?

Fail.

junkit_boy
09-22-2011, 2:38 PM
I love Brown and Les Baer. I want a SRP next. I think the design is very classy. I could have done a longer list, with Fusion Firearms, Rock River Arms and STI, but I did a quick 4.
I just love a simple 1911 with Govt Specs. Les Baer is next on the list.
I haven't shot a Nighthawk, but if I were to get one, I would get the GRP

I had a CZ Dan Wesson Bobtail and although I love CZ, I had to send the gun back twice for them to fix it. The first time the metal inside the slide needed to be shaved down. It didnt have bilateral symmetry when you looked at it. (FIRST RED FLAG) and the second time I had to send it back because the barrel wouldn't come out of the slide. It was stuck permanently. (SECOND RED FLAG) Dont ask me how this happened. So, you would figure they would just replace the gun, but they didn't. So, when I got it back from CZ, I sold it..

unusedusername
09-22-2011, 2:52 PM
None of those are really "custom" 1911s... they are all high-end production 1911s.

Q619
09-22-2011, 3:23 PM
Haven't had a NH but of the other 3 my personal fav is Brown by a slight margin over Wilson. Baers are great guns but I'll take one of the aforementioned over one any day.

BamBam-31
09-22-2011, 3:39 PM
My friends and I own several Les Baers, and every one of them is a tack driver. They're built like every dollar goes to making the gun tighter and more accurate. Simply awesome shooting machines.

I do like the look of the Browns, however. I think they're the purdiest of the semi-customs out there. Never shot one, however.

Just from handling a few Wilsons at Turners, they're a bit looser than I'd expect for the pricetag. Never shot one of those, either, but I doubt I'd lay down the cash for one after seeing how bank vault tight the Baers are.

Just got my STI Trojan in 9mm, and it's no slouch, either. Will bring it to the range this weekend and shoot it before forming a final opinion, but so far it's looking pretty damn good.

jak77
09-22-2011, 3:41 PM
SA Professional for me, if were talking about high end production guns. A complete custom from someone like Hoag or another of his caliber would be pretty darn sweet as well.

hkdad
09-22-2011, 3:44 PM
SVI Infinity if we are talking about full custom!;)

Cyc Wid It
09-22-2011, 3:47 PM
Baer is the best value of the bunch. If you're spending around $3k+ you might as well go true custom.

HighLander51
09-22-2011, 4:53 PM
from the Springfield Custom shop, Robs own 1911, the TGO # 1, even though I only run it like twice a year, it's extremely difficult to transition from the Glock platform running every week.

http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image34395.jpg

InGrAM
09-22-2011, 5:12 PM
from the Springfield Custom shop, Robs own 1911, the TGO # 1, even though I only run it like twice a year, it's extremely difficult to transition from the Glock platform running every week.

http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image34395.jpg

That is very nice :tt1: To bad it doesn't have a squared trigger guard :rolleyes: though

The custom Springer from Se7en. :drool5:
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/3175/se7enspringer.jpg (http://imageshack.us//my-images/37/se7enspringer.jpg/)

richie3888
09-22-2011, 5:14 PM
ed brown ftw

fennecfrank
09-22-2011, 5:15 PM
to OP: you're missing quite a few good ones:

STI

SVI

Guncrafter Industries

PRCABR4Christ
09-22-2011, 6:33 PM
I chose Nighthawk, but in reality, all of those choices are good "semi" customs...true customs are much more, one day if I find myself with a pile of money, I'll be getting a custom from Heirloom Precision (Ted Yost, Steve Bailey, Jason Burton), Chuck Rogers, Bob Rodgers, and Joe Chambers, they build awesome custom guns! FWIW I'll be ordering a Nighthawk next month, after I get it I'll be sending my current carry gun to Joe Chambers for some retro work

PRCABR4Christ
09-22-2011, 6:34 PM
None of those are really "custom" 1911s... they are all high-end production 1911s.

that's an afirmative

Brian1979
09-22-2011, 8:18 PM
My friends and I own several Les Baers, and every one of them is a tack driver. They're built like every dollar goes to making the gun tighter and more accurate. Simply awesome shooting machines.

I do like the look of the Browns, however. I think they're the purdiest of the semi-customs out there. Never shot one, however.

Just from handling a few Wilsons at Turners, they're a bit looser than I'd expect for the pricetag. Never shot one of those, either, but I doubt I'd lay down the cash for one after seeing how bank vault tight the Baers are.

Just got my STI Trojan in 9mm, and it's no slouch, either. Will bring it to the range this weekend and shoot it before forming a final opinion, but so far it's looking pretty damn good.

I own a Custom Carry and a Super Tack from Les Baer both with the 1.5 guarantee. I thought they were the smoothest cycling 1911 out there with the best trigger until I got my CQB. I have on order a Tactical Super Grade from Wilson but I did get to play with one at the range one day. The Supergrade took the cake all the way and I would hope so for a $4k+ price tag.

Point here is that the bushing on my Wilson falls off the barrel and the one on my Baer is so damn tight I have to pull it off when the gun is disassembled. Both guns shoot same for accuracy and the Wilson undeniably feels better in every aspect. I love my Baer's and I carry one daily but I was shocked when I got my first Wilson.

In the end the looser gun that shoots the same for accuracy is now what I think is the best option for CCW. The tightness in my Baer's is what I held to be the standard in a 1911 but it has become very obvious to me now that this doesnt equate to accuracy vs a "well" fit 1911. I think it is Brown that coined the phrase, "right not tight".

Something to consider beyond just the gun is the customer service. I dont think many are going to beat Wilson on this.

shipwreck
09-22-2011, 8:37 PM
Brown out of those choices - but look at the Springfield Custom Shop

Redlinegts
09-22-2011, 10:58 PM
Nighthawk Custom hands down