PDA

View Full Version : Yes another 'From AZ to CA' laws Question

DrGonzo615
09-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Ok, so ive done a bit of googling but still cant find an answer for my specific question.

I have an ID in both California and AZ. Now I know with my FFL03 that I can buy a C&R handgun in AZ and bring it back to CA as long as I register it within 5 days. But what about non C&R handguns? Also does AZ require that you have the Handgun Safety Cert? (just out of curiosity, planning on going to turners this weekend and taking the test)

junkit_boy
09-22-2011, 12:56 PM
http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

zfields
09-22-2011, 1:25 PM
wierd. I had to turn in my ID when I got my TX DL.

morrcarr67
09-22-2011, 1:29 PM
AZ doesn't require a HSC.

If you are a legal resident of AZ and have an AZ ID you can buy anything you want in AZ. You may bring most anything back to CA with you; no AW. You would need to fill out the personal handgun inporter form and pay the fees.

morrcarr67
09-22-2011, 1:31 PM
Zfield - You can have only one DL but you may have a DL and an ID. Keep a DL in the state you live most of the time and an ID in the state of your second residence.

zfields
09-22-2011, 1:34 PM
Zfield - You can have only one DL but you may have a DL and an ID. Keep a DL in the state you live most of the time and an ID in the state of your second residence.

Ah ok.

DrGonzo615
09-22-2011, 3:26 PM
AZ doesn't require a HSC.

If you are a legal resident of AZ and have an AZ ID you can buy anything you want in AZ. You may bring most anything back to CA with you; no AW. You would need to fill out the personal handgun inporter form and pay the fees.

so basically its the same as bringing back a C&R handgun?

morrcarr67
09-22-2011, 3:39 PM
so basically its the same as bringing back a C&R handgun?

Yes, but different form. For C&R's you would use the C&R form. In this case you would be a "Personal Gun Importer" and use this form: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf

Spirit 1
09-22-2011, 6:30 PM
AZ DL is good for like 13-15 years, Cali DL is good for what, 3 years? Can be better to keep AZ license & get a Cali ID rather than vice versa, depending on your age. This can skirt the issue of seniors having to take complicated tests to drive a car in Cali and it's fairly legal. I say fairly cause Cali wants you to sell out to them within a few months at most, but LEO's don't make a big deal about AZ license & no problems with insurance either.

DrGonzo615
09-23-2011, 12:06 AM
sorry I should have specified..I have a CA DL and an AZ ID

novalondon
09-23-2011, 2:45 PM
AZ DL is good for like 13-15 years, Cali DL is good for what, 3 years? Can be better to keep AZ license & get a Cali ID rather than vice versa, depending on your age. This can skirt the issue of seniors having to take complicated tests to drive a car in Cali and it's fairly legal. I say fairly cause Cali wants you to sell out to them within a few months at most, but LEO's don't make a big deal about AZ license & no problems with insurance either.

Just to clarify: Arizona drivers licenses are issued and good to age 60. Once every 12 yrs you are notified to come in and get a new photo taken and if no other problems you good to continue to age 60 or another 12 yrs for a reshoot of of your mug.
My daughter got her DL at 16 and thought she could have the same pic on the license at age 59...She thought it would be funny to hand it over on a traffic stop....young mug on a late middle aged women....shot her down when I told her of the 12 yr thing for picture retakes...
Just sayin..:cool: