PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with AK47 Safety Lever!

Mamluke
09-22-2011, 10:38 AM
I need help with my AK47 safety lever:

while shooting the rifle, the lever tend to slowly creep upward!
The movement increases with outside temperature; the hotter the climate, the faster the upward movement!

I realize my Polish underfolder is not the best quality out there, although I have not had a single issue with jamming, FTF's or FTE's, 800 rounds & counting.

This is bothering me though, and any feedback on fixes is greatly appreciated.

In this video, which I shot early morning in the cool desert, note the lever creeping up, note its relation to the mag dimple in the receiver & you can see its upward movement!

lXzvSbtNXZU

ns3v3n
09-22-2011, 10:42 AM
What about taking the lever out and bend it slightly inward so it exert more pressure against the receiver???

zfields
09-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Does your selector lever not have a dedent to lock it in place?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-4kImsUv9wls/TnuEQHN5KSI/AAAAAAAAAh4/vJtH78Uwtik/s640/DSC00614.jpg

Mamluke
09-22-2011, 10:57 AM

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-4kImsUv9wls/TnuEQHN5KSI/AAAAAAAAAh4/vJtH78Uwtik/s640/DSC00614.jpg

It doesn't have a detent to look it in place! And gosh, I'd hate to bend that thing only to find out it did not help!

Thanks

zfields
09-22-2011, 10:59 AM
might want to take a punch to the lever and make one then. Be sure you do it low enough where it locks it below the receiver.

Im surprised, its also what keeps it locked into the safe position.

Mamluke
09-22-2011, 11:13 AM
might want to take a punch to the lever and make one then. Be sure you do it low enough where it locks it below the receiver.

Im surprised, its also what keeps it locked into the safe position.

So sorry, I miss understood you, YES, there is a detent in the lever, but NOT in the receiver to hold the lever in place!
My bad...

I'm thinking to drill a tiny hole in the receiver for that lever detent...should I take it to a gunsmith?

zfields
09-22-2011, 11:17 AM
So sorry, I miss understood you, YES, there is a detent in the lever, but NOT in the receiver to hold the lever in place!
My bad...

I'm thinking to drill a tiny hole in the receiver for that lever detent...should I take it to a gunsmith?

Mine doesnt have any detent in the reciever, just on the lever, it locks in basically where the receiver curves.

Doesnt your lever go to the same point or does it stay on the flat?

Mamluke
09-22-2011, 11:21 AM
Mine doesnt have any detent in the reciever, just on the lever, it locks in basically where the receiver curves.

Doesnt your lever go to the same point or does it stay on the flat?

That's it, it stays on the flat part...won't go down any further...freaking weird! I love the rifle, when I shot yesterday at the desert, it was bloody hot & had to push the lever down every 3 shots...annoying!!!!!

zfields
09-22-2011, 11:24 AM
That's it, it stays on the flat part...won't go down any further...freaking weird! I love the rifle, when I shot yesterday at the desert, it was bloody hot & had to push the lever down every 3 shots...annoying!!!!!

thats odd. Im not an AK expert, but Ive handled and shot quite a few. Never noticed that issue before.

chead
09-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Just bend the lever inward toward the receiver a LITTLE bit. It shouldn't need much for friction against the lower edge. It's an extremely inexpensive part.

Arisaka
09-22-2011, 11:52 AM
If you are feeling ballsy, take a Dremel with a cutoff wheel and lightly cut a notch on your reciever in the "fire" position. Looks legit if you are careful.

Mamluke
09-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Just bend the lever inward toward the receiver a LITTLE bit. It shouldn't need much for friction against the lower edge. It's an extremely inexpensive part.

Rifle still under warranty! Is this a warranty issue?! I think it should
If not, then I'd like to take it to a gunsmith, or trying out a different lever.

zfields
09-22-2011, 11:56 AM
If you are feeling ballsy, take a Dremel with a cutoff wheel and lightly cut a notch on your reciever in the "fire" position. Looks legit if you are careful.

Yikes, I'd rather take a punch to it.

Blade
09-22-2011, 12:13 PM
The levers been bent out so it wont scrape the receiver, either bend it back or buy another one. It is <$30 part and can easily be replaced when you clean the receiver ( no screws or nothing). If you really want a fancy one get the $60 Krebs one that has the bolt hold open cut out. I would not dremmel but just use a awl punch pin and gently dimple it, then a touch of paint/nail polish.

Mamluke
09-22-2011, 12:31 PM
The levers been bent out so it wont scrape the receiver, either bend it back or buy another one. It is <$30 part and can easily be replaced when you clean the receiver ( no screws or nothing). If you really want a fancy one get the $60 Krebs one that has the bolt hold open cut out. I would not dremmel but just use a awl punch pin and gently dimple it, then a touch of paint/nail polish.

This sounds good, especially the Krebs one as it might come in handy at the range (bolt open for inspection)...I would not be able to see if the notch on the lever goes under the receiver and catch though!!!!

zfields
09-22-2011, 1:13 PM
This sounds good, especially the Krebs one as it might come in handy at the range (bolt open for inspection)...I would not be able to see if the notch on the lever goes under the receiver and catch though!!!!

Im cheap, I use a shotgun hull : )

Mamluke
09-22-2011, 1:19 PM
Im cheap, I use a shotgun hull : )

YOU ARE! :eek:

Came across this while doing online research.... what daya think?

icpHeWESPbY

zfields
09-22-2011, 1:29 PM

icpHeWESPbY

Im actually trying to find a bolt carrier to fit my saiga so I can do that mod myself.

200+ bucks for a bolt carrier with a second handle welded on.....pfft.

cmace22
09-22-2011, 1:41 PM
Bend it. I adjust seletor tension on all my AK's this way. If need be you can also notch the receiver like most all countries do on there AKM's.

Mamluke
09-22-2011, 2:33 PM
Bend it. I adjust seletor tension on all my AK's this way. If need be you can also notch the receiver like most all countries do on there AKM's.

I don't wanna bend it cause may require more force to take down. I think putting a notch on the receiver is the most efficient & effective way of fixing the problem! I don't have the proper tools, so now gotta find a gunsmith that will do the job properly.

Thanks guys!

21SF
09-22-2011, 2:45 PM
You flinched when you pulled on empty, just fyi.

RustyMacHine
09-22-2011, 3:11 PM
This and
this

EDIT: Nevermind=I just read your other posts.

chead
09-22-2011, 3:24 PM

icpHeWESPbY

I don't get it, I can manipulate the safety with my index finger without moving my hand from the grip.. It looks like a solution in search of a problem.

zfields
09-22-2011, 3:25 PM
I don't get it, I can manipulate the safety with my index finger without moving my hand from the grip.. It looks like a solution in search of a problem.

Doh, I thought that was the lightning charging handle when i posted, not the dumb lever.

Mamluke
09-22-2011, 3:33 PM
You flinched when you pulled on empty, just fyi.

Yes, I'm working on it! Good observation...;)

SJgunguy24
09-22-2011, 4:10 PM

icpHeWESPbY

A bunch of money for something that anybody with a TIG machine, tin snips and a grinder can do.

Mamluke
09-22-2011, 4:12 PM
A bunch of money for something that anybody with a TIG machine, tin snips and a grinder can do.

+1....

crazy
09-22-2011, 6:57 PM
My Saiga doesn't have a detent in the receiver but the safety lever goes all the way to the end of the receiver. My Arsenal does have a detent in the receiver and that is where the lever stops. The nipple (I like that word) is in different places on both levers. Maybe you don't have the right lever for your model of AK. I'm just guessing. I will try to post pictures when I get to a computer to show the difference.

Mamluke
09-22-2011, 7:10 PM
My Saiga doesn't have a detent in the receiver but the safety lever goes all the way to the end of the receiver. My Arsenal does have a detent in the receiver and that is where the lever stops. The nipple (I like that word) is in different places on both levers. Maybe you don't have the right lever for your model of AK. I'm just guessing. I will try to post pictures when I get to a computer to show the difference.

My sentiment exactly, I have the wrong bloody lever for that receiver!
Sending it back to the factory & waiting for it to come back will take a long time, so finding a gunsmith that will implant a detent in the receiver part would be ideal in my situation!

.... I will post pics tomorrow...
thanks again.

G38xOC
09-22-2011, 7:22 PM
wrong part for ur AK ? where did u buy ur AK at

tujungatoes
09-22-2011, 7:55 PM
:facepalm:...Dude...stop being such a weiner and just tweak the lever.

It's not the wrong part, and I doubt very much you'll destroy anything bending it. This isn't rocket science. It's just sheetmetal.

1. Remove top cover.
2. Rotate lever vertical.
3. Grasp end of lever with hand and bend inward slightly.
4. Repeat step 3 as needed until you're satisfied with lever tension.

CSACANNONEER
09-22-2011, 8:20 PM
Please explain why you think that your bent part is not "the right part". I'll bet you it is the correct part and just needs a minor adjustment to bring it back to spec. Just BEND IT! and quit beaching like a little girl. If you actually break it by accident, I promise that I'll send you a new one for FREE and even cover postage. But, if I do, I'm reserving the right to get your broken one in return and publicly laugh at you if it's obviously broken due to complete stupidity.

nicoroshi
09-22-2011, 8:23 PM

This^^^
I do it to all my builds.
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/3831/img0421j.jpg

Nothing like the nice click sound of it popping into the fire position.
Never had one move when it wasn't supposed to either.

Dhena81
09-22-2011, 8:27 PM
You can do it this is as easy as field stripping your AK it just pops out after you rotate it. I really like the Krebs safety BTW.

luckystrike
09-22-2011, 8:30 PM
Gunsmith for a notch? Sometimes I wish I were a gunsmith....

RustyMacHine
09-22-2011, 8:31 PM
If you actually break it by accident, I promise that I'll send you a new one for FREE and even cover postage

^^This is almost impossible.

crazy
09-22-2011, 9:45 PM

That is like the lever on my Saiga. The nipple(I like that word) goes over the edge of the receiver. On the Arsenal, the nipple(I like that word) is a little farther back and drops into the detent on the side of the receiver to stay in the fire position.

zfields
09-22-2011, 9:49 PM
That is like the lever on my Saiga. The nipple(I like that word) goes over the edge of the receiver. On the Arsenal, the nipple(I like that word) is a little farther back and drops into the detent on the side of the receiver to stay in the fire position.

nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple nipple

G38xOC
09-22-2011, 9:58 PM
what is the purpose of being two cut out ? isnt one enough ?

im getting my polish soon n i might have to do this mod if it moves

RustyMacHine
09-22-2011, 10:06 PM
what is the purpose of being two cut out ? isnt one enough ?

im getting my polish soon n i might have to do this mod if it moves

Aesthetics.

RustyMacHine
09-22-2011, 10:07 PM
.... I will post pics tomorrow...
thanks again.

No need for that I can see it in your other videos on your youtube channel.:facepalm:

It does ride up after every shot

and you can't fold that underfolder without a permanent muzzle extension to have an OAL of "30.

EDIT- Videos removed.

crazy
09-22-2011, 10:51 PM
This^^^
I do it to all my builds.
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/3831/img0421j.jpg

Nothing like the nice click sound of it popping into the fire position.
Never had one move when it wasn't supposed to either.

This is like the lever on my Arsenal.

Where can I get a spare lever cheap? How about a bolt carrier for a Saiga?

zfields
09-22-2011, 10:53 PM
This is like the lever on my Arsenal.

Where can I get a spare lever cheap? How about a bolt carrier for a Saiga?

Crazy, Ive been trying to source a cheap saiga carrier for the last week.

Best ive found is about 80 bucks. Talked to two smiths about it, one being the most awesome SJgunguy24, and found out that its an AK74 style, which seem to be a bit of a B*tch to find for less then 80 bucks.

For the safety, Ive seen them around for about 20 bucks, cant remember the website for the life of me at the moment.

SJgunguy24
09-23-2011, 12:38 AM
No need for that I can see it in your other videos on your youtube channel.:facepalm:

and you can't fold that underfolder without a permanent muzzle extension to have an OAL of "30.

In bold....wrong, no permanence required for any muzzle extension other then to meet the federal minimum barrel length of 16". You could use a bayonet to meet the state minimum length, if a cop decides to fold the stock, guess who just manufactured an AW?

chead
09-23-2011, 2:20 AM
You could use a bayonet to meet the state minimum length,

I've always wanted to try a cardboard tube.

Mamluke
09-23-2011, 8:14 AM
Please explain why you think that your bent part is not "the right part". I'll bet you it is the correct part and just needs a minor adjustment to bring it back to spec. Just BEND IT! and quit beaching like a little girl. If you actually break it by accident, I promise that I'll send you a new one for FREE and even cover postage. But, if I do, I'm reserving the right to get your broken one in return and publicly laugh at you if it's obviously broken due to complete stupidity.

I broke it!!!! SO SEND ME A FREE ONE :43:
My address:
762 Rhyming st.
Loathing Creek, Ca 90207

.....JK, I like your rhyming... well, upon further inspection, the lever will go all the way down to the lower edge of the receiver, but its motion is blocked by the base structure of the mag release button! So I can file it down a bit...or...

Oh WTF, I'm just gonna bend it!

Thank you all for your contribution

ns3v3n
09-23-2011, 8:21 AM
the base structure of the mag release button! So I can file it down a bit...or...

Finally LOL.

Mamluke
09-23-2011, 8:21 AM

got a muzzle extension for 30inch rule, I was just demonstrating the rifle...but clad you noticed the lever was creeping up badly; it was really hot (88 degrees) and that makes it wanna creep up every other shot...very annoyed!!!!

Thanks again

RustyMacHine
09-23-2011, 9:33 AM
...and you can't fold that underfolder without a permanent muzzle extension to have an OAL of "30.

I just got the correction from Mike. He's right, permanance is not a requirement.

In bold....wrong, no permanence required for any muzzle extension other then to meet the federal minimum barrel length of 16". You could use a bayonet to meet the state minimum length

I've seen the bayonet extensions at your shop.

if a cop decides to fold the stock, guess who just manufactured an AW?

I just don't want to risk this... that's just me.

got a muzzle extension for 30inch rule, I was just demonstrating the rifle...but clad you noticed the lever was creeping up badly; it was really hot (88 degrees) and that makes it wanna creep up every other shot...very annoyed!!!!

I'm sorry for my ignorance. I know it's a MYOB situation.;)

Yes, I can see you fiddling with the selector every 3-4 shots. It's really an easy fix. If you met Mike aka SJgunguy and brought your rifle in to the shop with that problem. I'm sure he'll say "it's an AK." and he'll bend that selector right then and there.
It's really an easy fix and the solution has been posted in this thread.

THE END

crazy
09-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Is that the Egyptian eagle.

Mamluke
09-23-2011, 10:29 AM
Is that the Egyptian eagle.

Egypt & Syria, when they were united back 1957

CSACANNONEER
09-23-2011, 1:55 PM
I broke it!!!! SO SEND ME A FREE ONE :43:
My address:
762 Rhyming st.
Loathing Creek, Ca 90207

.....JK, I like your rhyming... well, upon further inspection, the lever will go all the way down to the lower edge of the receiver, but its motion is blocked by the base structure of the mag release button! So I can file it down a bit...or...

:eek:That's the "selector STOP" and its purpose is to stop the selector lever from further travel. In other words, DO NOT file or grind it down at all. It is doing exactly what it should be doing!

Also, my offer is a serious one. If you break your selector while bending it, I will replace it. I would not be publicly making this offer if I did not intend on keeping my word.

SJgunguy24
09-23-2011, 2:15 PM
:eek:That's the "selector STOP" and its purpose is to stop the selector lever from further travel. In other words, DO NOT file or grind it down at all. It is doing exactly what it should be doing!

Also, my offer is a serious one. If you break your selector while bending it, I will replace it. I would not be publicly making this offer if I did not intend on keeping my word.

Mamluke, trust this man here, I would he's a good guy. If he says he'll do it, it's gonna happen.

chead
09-23-2011, 2:40 PM
This thread is blowing my mind.

Mamluke
09-23-2011, 2:58 PM

My thinking was to file the selector itself so it'll sink deeper, not the selector stop!
No worries there, and I did decide to bend it (FINAL DECISION)

SJgunguy24Mamluke, trust this man here, I would he's a good guy. If he says he'll do it, it's gonna happen.

I wholeheartedly DO!

cheadThis thread is blowing my mind.

Oh dude NOOOOOO...lol

bigbob76
09-23-2011, 3:30 PM
This thread is blowing my mind.

It's like driving by a bad car crash. I know it's going to be ugly but I can't stop myself from looking at it:43:

luckystrike
09-23-2011, 8:27 PM
In bold....wrong, no permanence required for any muzzle extension other then to meet the federal minimum barrel length of 16". You could use a bayonet to meet the state minimum length, if a cop decides to fold the stock, guess who just manufactured an AW?

so if your rifle is under 30 when folded, you can just have the folder open without pinning it open? I thought I remembered the flowchart asking if it can be fired in shourtest config then its an AW.......:confused:

RustyMacHine
09-23-2011, 8:45 PM
so if your rifle is under 30 when folded, you can just have the folder open without pinning it open? I thought I remembered the flowchart asking if it can be fired in shourtest config then its an AW.......:confused:

In case you didn't see what he did there. That is why he said in bold...Permanent muzzle extension permanence re- barrel under "16.
The OAL doesn't specify/mention permanence.

crazy
10-08-2011, 7:27 AM
So if a rifle is over 30" in the folded position, it is legal for the stock to NOT be pinned?

bigbob76
10-08-2011, 10:46 AM
So if a rifle is over 30" in the folded position, it is legal for the stock to NOT be pinned?

Correct, and the muzzle brake or whatever means you use to achieve 30 inches does not need to be pinned/welded.

crazy
10-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Correct, and the muzzle brake or whatever means you use to achieve 30 inches does not need to be pinned/welded.

OK. I have questions about this but I don't want to derail this thread. I will start a new thread and post a link here. I will do this later today. Thanks.