PDA

View Full Version : Kids at War

Bogart
09-22-2011, 7:08 AM
While I played war when I was a kid (don't think kids do that much these days), this looks a little different...

http://www.webpark.ru/comment/80565

*Some nsfw pics in ads on page.

Bogart
09-22-2011, 7:14 AM
That brings up another question. How many here ran around with toy guns in their front yards growing up, and how many would/have let their kids do that today.

HK Dave
09-22-2011, 7:16 AM
I still fondly remember running around the neighborhood with my laser tag gun and wearing the laser tag sensor.... yah i'll let me kids do that, just have to make sure i'm living in the right neighborhood. :)

zfields
09-22-2011, 7:17 AM
Hell, even my daycare place when I was young had an arsenal worth of toy guns that we played with

CK_32
09-22-2011, 7:22 AM
That looks kinda like what we have known as sea cadets and little marines. I forgot what they call the marine and army kids.

I doubt those kids actually fought I hope not. But still cool link. Thanks for sharing.

I remember when me and my cousin use to make anything the shape of a 2x4 into a gun lol and legos were all used to make rubber band Lego guns.

Good times.

coyotebait
09-22-2011, 7:26 AM
That brings up another question. How many here ran around with toy guns in their front yards growing up, and how many would/have let their kids do that today.

We had the full camouflage fatigues, the helmet with the steel pot and the camo cover, Grannie lived in 29 Palms, we'd go to the dump (I know that doesn't sound right) The Marine Corp would throw out brand new stuff just before they would get a new budget (I guess) we even had the old backpack, shovel scabbard, pretty much whatever you could think of as far as gear, we had. My kids run around our block killing zombies, or clone troopers or whatever it is these days.

Bogart
09-22-2011, 7:29 AM
I remember digging fox holes in the field behind us, complete with shelves to hold dirt balls. Making blowguns out of PVC pipe, and crossbows out of old fishing poles. Shooting green pyracantha berries at eachother through straws. Not to mention lots of toy guns.

pacifico23
09-22-2011, 7:30 AM
That looks kinda like what we have known as sea cadets and little marines. I forgot what they call the marine and army kids.

I doubt those kids actually fought I hope not. But still cool link. Thanks for sharing.

I remember when me and my cousin use to make anything the shape of a 2x4 into a gun lol and legos were all used to make rubber band Lego guns.

Good times.

That was Hitler Youth. And yes they did fight. The leader of the defense of Berlin called up the Hitler Youth when the allies were encircling, and the Russians crossed the Rhine. Many of the Generals were very mad that the Hitler Youth was called up. They fought alongside senior citizens and world war 1 vets and diabled vets from the eastern and western front. Ironically, The soviets say the Hitler youth gave them the hardest time between what was left of the Werchmact defending the capital and the Old citizens forced to fight.

Hitler youth have been ingrained to fight for Germany since they were born. So they were very commmitted.

When I was a kid, airsoft was just starting up. We played alll them time. This was before they had the mandatory orange front cap to make sure it looked like a toy. My friends KWC glock looks EXACTLY like a glock 17. Except the lettering, I swear you put them up next to eachother there is like no difference in looks.

peter95
09-22-2011, 7:38 AM
That was Hitler Youth. And yes they did fight. The leader of the defense of Berlin called up the Hitler Youth when the allies were encircling, and the Russians crossed the Rhine. Many of the Generals were very mad that the Hitler Youth was called up. They fought alongside senior citizens and world war 1 vets and diabled vets from the eastern and western front. Ironically, The soviets say the Hitler youth gave them the hardest time between what was left of the Werchmact defending the capital and the Old citizens forced to fight.

Hitler youth have been ingrained to fight for Germany since they were born. So they were very commmitted.

When I was a kid, airsoft was just starting up. We played alll them time. This was before they had the mandatory orange front cap to make sure it looked like a toy. My friends KWC glock looks EXACTLY like a glock 17. Except the lettering, I swear you put them up next to eachother there is like no difference in looks.

I can imagine..... These kids probably ran around shooting with no fear. Can you imagine being brainwashed at that age?

pacifico23
09-22-2011, 7:41 AM
I can imagine..... These kids probably ran around shooting with no fear. Can you imagine being brainwashed at that age?

Oh absolutely. Ide imagine any group of kids can do havoc on a regular army. Kids think completely outside the box, always assumed innocent, despite if they are wearing a uniform or not. It would be sabatoge heaven from kids, if supplied with the right tools, weapons, and intel.

Bogart
09-22-2011, 7:43 AM

I don't think it takes much brainwashing when enemy troops are in your backyard. I would have fought any invading forces (Red Dawn/Insurgent style) when I was younger too.

Nathan Krynn
09-22-2011, 7:48 AM
My brother and I ran around bases growing up with a M1 carbine and played army. His father said it was de-milled and once a MP took it from us and looked at it and said its fine.

When we were teenagers we took it apart and the only thing wrong was a broken firing pin.

socalphoto
09-22-2011, 7:56 AM
NSFW warning....The photo's are interesting and historic. The photo's on the ad's on the side are gonna get me fired hahahaha.

Uriah02
09-22-2011, 8:00 AM
Playing war as a kid is just as normal for boys as it is for girls to play house. Oh wait, are we aloud to say that here?

Rekrab
09-22-2011, 8:41 AM
The next time someone complains about the recoil of a Mosin I'm going to use this picture to illustrate why the recoil is really not that bad.

http://www.webpark.ru/uploads54/110922/War_Childs_12.jpg

Droppin Deuces
09-22-2011, 9:03 AM
I'm going to go play tennis.

Dreaded Claymore
09-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Yes, I played with toy guns in the front yard all the time when I was little.

Doheny
09-22-2011, 12:19 PM
This would be me: (the crying part)

http://www.webpark.ru/uploads54/110922/War_Childs_05.jpg

bballwizard05
09-22-2011, 12:23 PM
I'm going to go play tennis.

haha, hard not to notice that one...

coyotebait
09-22-2011, 12:25 PM
My Grandfather brought back a "Hitler Youth" training rifle. A Mauser single shot .22.

wjc
09-22-2011, 2:24 PM
This would be me:

Those are Luftwaffe Flieger insignia he's wearing. Wish I could see what color the tabs were to get the unit.

Droppin Deuces
09-22-2011, 2:31 PM
haha, hard not to notice that one...

Funny thing is I was really just about to leave to go play when I posted that.

MrPlink
09-22-2011, 2:57 PM
proof my MP40 mags are "pre-ban" ;)
http://www.webpark.ru/uploads54/110922/War_Childs_07.jpg

p.s. I didnt know any better back then so please criticize me on where my trigger finger is in the pic :p

Fate
09-22-2011, 3:04 PM
Yeah we played army. Used our fathers' helmets, e-tools, fatigue shirts too. We built tree forts in the woods, dug foxholes and full on trenches. Dirt clods for grenades and had various toy guns (including a Mattel M-16 I wish I still had).

We'd belly crawl thru the deep woods, damn the poison ivy or cottonmouth snakes. During the winter I remember re-enacting the Battle of the Bulge with my friends and sitting outside in the cold and snow all day just to suffer. We'd sing the Marine Hymn or cadences and march up and down the street with rifles on our shoulders.

Funny thing is my young son is starting to do the same stuff...

MasterYong
09-22-2011, 3:08 PM
Centerfire Rifles?

REALLY?

wjc
09-22-2011, 3:43 PM
proof my MP40 mags are "pre-ban" ;)
http://www.webpark.ru/uploads54/110922/War_Childs_07.jpg

p.s. I didnt know any better back then so please criticize me on where my trigger finger is in the pic :p

I'd be more worried about that grenade in your boot. :p

MrPlink
09-22-2011, 4:24 PM

meh, I used to keep a panzerfaust in there, it was fine!

SanPedroShooter
09-22-2011, 6:40 PM
http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad189/brentx39/hitleryouth.jpg

Classic pic of Hitler sending children to fight for the father land as the war started to go badly. I wonder where those kids are now? They must be in their eighties.

MrExel17
09-22-2011, 7:30 PM
Wow, nice post this brings back a lot of memorizes, I'll tell you this much in the 3rd pix with the kid holding the rocket launcher, I want him in my team..lol

I still play and run around playing war with my two boys Nerf of course. When I was younger we didn't have enough money for toy guys so my cousins and I hand to use what we had and make things. But we did have a Huge backyard (more like a lot) filled with Pin Trees which we used Pine Cones for Grenades.

And Yes we threw them at each other. Only rule was no beaming/lasers throws just lobbing ones, distance from fort to fort was about 20-30 yards so you can only imagine out big the lot was. This play time didn't last long becuase one day and in a the heat of battle my cousins older sister was calling for us to dinner and you guested it a pine cone to the face hahahah...sorry but that was some funny S&$#t, Man thoughs were the days!

Che762x39
09-22-2011, 8:36 PM

They have boys 12 years old running around with AKs in Africa, South America and Burma.

smle-man
09-22-2011, 9:08 PM

Classic pic of Hitler sending children to fight for the father land as the war started to go badly. I wonder where those kids are now? They must be in their eighties.

Most were probably dead 6 months later. The Soviets didn't care how young the kid was holding the rifle, they shot to kill.

smle-man
09-22-2011, 9:15 PM
http://images.forum-auto.com/mesimages/52606/img226.jpg

If they were smart this is what they did as soon as they could.

NYY
09-22-2011, 9:52 PM
those were some HARDcore kids

zfields
09-22-2011, 9:54 PM
Most were probably dead 6 months later. The Soviets didn't care how young the kid was holding the rifle, they shot to kill.

Didnt the Soviets have a similar thing going on with child soldiers. Could have sworn I saw something on the history channel about it.

RONIN.
09-22-2011, 10:09 PM
They have boys 12 years old running around with AKs in Africa, South America and Burma.

you forgot to mention iraq, afghanistan..

as a young boy my step father told me stories they had young boys running and gunnin too.. in vietnam

when old enough i joined the corps went to iraq.. got fired on upon kids.. went to afghanistan.. got fired on upon by kids.. left the corp.. went back to iraq.. got fired upon by kids.. went to afghanistan guess what.. are suburban got fired on by a bunch of kids..

see a trend.. kids will always end up gettin used in wars..

and yes as a kid i played "war" ran around with cap guns, painted water guns

christmas was my favorite time of the year.. not for the presents.. well yes.. but so i got to go to my step dads families ranch in texas.. and run around the ranch and play war.. and get to shoot real guns..

ronin.

wjc
09-23-2011, 12:51 PM
meh, I used to keep a panzerfaust in there, it was fine!

You get a lot of Sherman's up in the city, do ya? :D

richzmn
09-23-2011, 3:35 PM
The Chinese aren't afraid of toy guns.

p1pyniGF_m0

SJgunguy24
09-23-2011, 4:12 PM

I have a freind from Nicaragua and hearing some of what he was forced to do gave me a new respect for how well we really have it here in the US. At 11 years old he was told to fight or they would kill his family, then he would still have to fight or he was next.

timdps
09-23-2011, 5:10 PM
Those are Luftwaffe Flieger insignia he's wearing. Wish I could see what color the tabs were to get the unit.

Red photographs dark and yellow photographs very light, so I don't think they are yellow.

Red is artillery (includes flak?), so perhaps Flakhilfer?

timdps
09-23-2011, 5:15 PM

I would be too. Its a Russian RDG33 stick grenade with the most complicated arming mechanism known to man. Not real hard to arm if you don't know what you are doing...

Tim

Sonic_mike
09-23-2011, 5:29 PM
the right team won
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ggMXqJ8h3Dw/TcGskLEvxgI/AAAAAAAAE2c/EI8OTiR26bw/s1600/Poster_WPbig.jpg

Warrior King
09-23-2011, 5:34 PM

I met one of them. He was trained as a paratrooper. He told me before he went into the battle of Berlin he could hear the Russian soldiers raping German women, and their screams all night.

He loves America because after the war the G.I.s at an American base more or less adopted him, and the food they gave him helped his family survive.

Hoop
09-23-2011, 5:39 PM
I doubt those kids actually fought

They did. I've seen these pics before, english russia had a page about it awhile back with some 100+ photos.

Hoop
09-23-2011, 5:42 PM
I met one of them.

A friend of my father's was a child in berlin at that time and he has some similar stories. His family escaped from E.Berlin before the wall was built. He eventually moved to America (California) in the 60's because he was a Beach Boys fan and wanted to learn how to surf.

smle-man
09-24-2011, 7:51 AM
The guy who ran the Rod and Gun club at the Kaserne in Germany that I was based at was a 16 year old Volkstrum soldier in '45. He told me that his friend was shot by the British when he surrendered because he was wearing some British military socks that he got in trade. The guy telling me the story still had a fierce hatred of the Brits. His sister was killed when the town was bombed by the USAAF. He professed to like Americans but it could have been because we were paying his salary. he said that he surrendered to the first Americans he saw and thanked God that the U.S. and not the Soviets captured him and his town. The American unit gave him food which was the best he had eaten in several years. He said that the Brit occupation in the north was very heavy handed but after several months the U.S. soldiers were great and nice especially to the young women.

Donk310
09-24-2011, 9:53 AM
Playing war as a kid is just as normal for boys as it is for girls to play house. Oh wait, are we aloud to say that here?

Things have changed. Now-a-days there are groups that say it's "normal" for boys to play house. Whatever….

captbilly
09-24-2011, 10:12 AM

Most of those child soldiers died within days of the picture being taken. The Russians invading Berlin had watched as over 10,000,000 of their friends had died in battles with the Germans. In addition, the Germans committed horrible attrocities on both Soviet civilians and POWs (only a tiny percentage of Soviet POWs survived captivity by Germans. In fact, I believe that a prisoner in a concentration camp had a slightly better chance of surviving that a Soviet in a German POW camp. The point is that by the time they reached Berlin, the soviet troops were crazy with anger towards the Germans. They not only killed every German soldier they came across, they also killed and raped millions of civilians as theyworked their way into Germany. Hitler knew the war was unwinable as early 1943 yet he continued to sacrifice his population in order to protect his fantasy (sounds a bit like Sadam, Qadaffi, Amin, and every other dictator).

But more directly to the point,my kids played with airsoft guns all over the neighborhood. I live in a fairly affluent area of Norcal, and i can't remember anyone batting an eye at the kids runningnaround with toy guns

acaligunner
09-24-2011, 10:12 AM
In Viet Nam my brother told me he did not like kids. Said they would run supplies to enemy NVA troops.

Also said they would be on the outskirts of the village, and count how many American troops went into the jungle, and which direction the troopers went.

Also said Kids as well as Women where caught shooting weapons at them.

He did a couple of combat tours in Viet Nam, and by the time he came home, he didn't trust anything that had to do with that war.

He would kill the dogs as well, as it was a give-a-way to enemy NVA soldiers that American troops where in the area.

War affects even the innocents.

acaligunner

Anchors
09-24-2011, 10:22 AM
My friends and I used to play with toy guns and shoot each other with Nerf guns. Dirt grenades. Etc.
I also played house with the girls in my house growing up. Nothing wrong with being well rounded haha.

I'm only 22.
Kids haven't changed haha. Even kids with "no toy guns" parents would just come over to our houses where they were allowed.
The parents change, but the kids will still be kids.

Mssr. Eleganté
09-24-2011, 1:11 PM
OK, a centerfire rifle question...

What rifle is slung over the shoulder of the MP on the right?

http://www.webpark.ru/uploads54/110922/War_Childs_10.jpg

proclone1
09-24-2011, 1:31 PM

As i recall from my history classes in college days (majored in history and chose most of my classes having to do w/ europe/asia during the great patriotic war) the kids were pretty damn scared. There's a story of one kid after spending a day in a foxhole with a bunch of panzerfausts, the next day his hair had turned bone white from stress.

My dad plays tennis at a club, and there's an old German gentleman who he occasionally plays bridge with. Anyways, that man and his brother were both about 10 and 13yrs old in Berlin, and they were given a rifle each and a 100rd bandoleer of ammo and told to kill some russians. Well his older brother was wounded in the stomach and clearly needed surgery, so the man threw away his rifle, put his brother into a wheelbarrow, and carted him like crazy through the russian front lines (where the russians couldnt be bothered to shoot such a sight) to a russian field hospital where again, amazingly the russians agreed to treat his older german brother.

Afterwards during the immediate soviet occupation, the man would go out every day foraging for food (garbage, rats, etc) in the berlin wasteland armed with a bayonet for the primary purpose of defending himself against other german boys doing the exact same thing.

At least, that's the story as he related it to my dad!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

olhunter
09-24-2011, 1:46 PM
Yeah, we played with toy guns when we were kids. All the time. I even went to school once or twice with my chrome cowboy cap guns strapped on. When we got a little older, we started having massive bb gun wars.

And back in the day, when the shooting galleries at Disneyland shot actual lead pellets, they also sold nice toy rifles in the gift shop. Real wood stocks and everything. Our parents would drop us off on Tom Sawyers island and we would spend hours there 'shooting' everybody that dared assault 'our' fort. Then we would carry our rifles around Disneyland the rest of the day.

... Shooting green pyracantha berries at eachother through straws.

lol...man, that brings back memories too. Our street was lined with oak trees and during what we called 'acorn army season' we would fill shoe boxes with acorns and have sling-shot acorn wars. Hurt like a mother too.

smle-man
09-24-2011, 1:53 PM
OK, a centerfire rifle question...

What rifle is slung over the shoulder of the MP on the right?

http://www.webpark.ru/uploads54/110922/War_Childs_10.jpg

It is an M1 rifle with the bayonet attached.

Mssr. Eleganté
09-24-2011, 2:04 PM
It is an M1 rifle with the bayonet attached.

LOL

Now I see it! It looked almost like an FN FAL at first, which would of course be impossible in 1945. What I thought was the barrel is actually the bayonet.

MrPlink
09-24-2011, 3:10 PM
You get a lot of Sherman's up in the city, do ya? :D

Ive got a lot of friends that do re-enactments as 2nd Armored, so I could probably find a few :43:

and back to the topic:

A good friend of mine (whom is a fellow gun nut) has a 3 year old son. Now his wife is a big anti, and wont allow their son to have any toy guns, or anything "violent" in nature.
Despite the attempted sheltering, the kid still "plays war" and will pick up just about anything and pretend it is a gun, much to his mothers disgust.

Cant wait for him to get a little bigger, me and his dad are going to take him out and let his use the real things since he has been deprived of just the toy versions!

InGrAM
09-24-2011, 3:13 PM
I used to play war with my BB gun.

SanPedroShooter
09-24-2011, 3:45 PM
My mother in Law was born in W germany right after the war, and her father and his brother served in the German Army. He had some trouble getting into the US, i'll come back to that. They were engineers of some sort, and they worked in a factory some where neat the eastern front during the war. He was captured (and his whole factory) by the soviets and spent a couple years in a kind of POW/work camp, but they kept him and the factory in tact and maintained production. He and his brother almost starved to death many times, but they could get a bit of contraband food after the war and they ran a still to make money. Sometime during the Berlin airlift, they got their wives, both pregnant, and bribed their way across the border. The soviets were going to move the entire factory, workers and all, into soviet russia, and they knew it was a death sentence.

My MIL was born in W berlin, and they emigrated to North America during the soviet blockade. They tried the USA first, but as they had both served in the Werhmacht (sp?) they had a hard time getting visa's, so they went to Canada to wait for a while. They eventually made it.

She told me that she went back to the town in E germany to visit relatives before the wall came down, and the factory was still there, albeit in rubble, and guarding this pile of wreckage was a lone teenage sentry with a rifle.... That is my vision of communism, a lone conscripted soldier, standing guard over a pile of worthless wreckage.

SanPedroShooter
09-24-2011, 3:56 PM
I also worked for a Danish man who was our equivalent of a Navy SEAL after the war in the late fifties. His job was to clear live ordinance out of the harbors around the country. An extremely dangerous job back then, and today too I suppose. He told me he trained with a Garand, which he pronounced Gare-rand (correctly I understand), but also with all kinds of explosives and stuff too. He was a bad ***.

Anyway, when the Netherlands were invaded by the Germans, he was just a little boy, but his father was involved in the resistance, which there was a lot of. He ended up assaulting a sentry and was shot in the ***... But he got away, and his comrades dragged him to the hospital. He knew he couldnt go home, because he was known, but the nurses patched him up and hid him, and eventually smuggled him to the UK I think he said. But in the meantime the Germans knew where he lived, and the guy was telling me that he remembers soldiers coming to his house and putting a gun to his mothers head and threating her. After the war his father came home.

matticus
09-24-2011, 8:38 PM
Before He shot the Mosin

After he shot the mosin

I shot one for the first time few weeks ago, and it feels like getting hit by a 2x4

MrPlink
09-24-2011, 9:05 PM
I shot one for the first time few weeks ago, and it feels like getting hit by a 2x4

sounds like girly man AR15 fanboy speak to me :p
http://www.mullerover.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Hanz-and-Franz.jpg

resident-shooter
09-25-2011, 1:15 AM
Didnt the Soviets have a similar thing going on with child soldiers. Could have sworn I saw something on the history channel about it.

They did in fact, but only in the early stages of the war when things were going baaaaad. Once the tide turned and Siberian troops were summoned to defend Moscow, they had plenty to work with.

locosway
09-25-2011, 7:28 AM

I had several toy guns as a kid, but no toy guns for my kids. I did buy them some nerf rifles for inside, but I figured out quickly that they didn't lend to good shooting habits. A BB gun in the yard seems to do much more for their learning.

JJ1911
09-25-2011, 8:54 AM
The next time someone complains about the recoil of a Mosin I'm going to use this picture to illustrate why the recoil is really not that bad.

My sister shot a .44 magnum revolver at the age of 10 and thought it was the most fun thing in the world. To this day she can handle recoil better than most of my buddies, and she's probably half their size.