PDA

View Full Version : Please help me figuring out Gun info

Evil Quint
09-22-2011, 7:57 AM
I inherited an old Colt? 1911. I shot it and love it and have no intention of selling. I can't seem to figure out the actual manufacturer. I posted some pics and can post more if needed or if you can point me in the right direction that would be great. I already contact Colt and below is there response. Thanks in advance

eMail from Colt:

After Reviewing the photos, I can say with a good degree of certainty that the firearm pictured is not a Colt.

The “NO.” before theserial number is not done in any style Colt’s has used. Ours had a capitol “N” followed by a lower-case “o” with a line under it and should look, roughly, like this: “No.”

After WWII a few companies popped-up who used surplus Colt 1911 parts and put them in and on their frames. Your firearm is likely one of those. Sorry for the bad news, but there’s no reason to not still enjoy your 1911.

Happy shooting!
Colt's Manufacturing Company LLC.
Customer Service Department

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc386/Evil_Quint/Markings1Medium.jpg

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc386/Evil_Quint/IMG_1149Medium-1.jpg

Black_Talon
09-22-2011, 5:05 PM
It's certainly a Colt slide on an aftermarket frame. From your pics, the frame looks like it's cast aluminum. Many. many aftermarket 1911 frames were made during the '60's, 70's and '80's.

Evil Quint
09-23-2011, 9:36 AM
Thanks for the response. Colt did confirm its not a colt frame so any ideas on where I should start to trace the origins of this gun? I suppose I could just take it to a shop. I live in san diego so if anybody knows the best shop to take it to in that area let me know.

Its a great shooter so I suppose it really doesn't matter but I enjoy knowing everything about my guns so this is a fun treaure hunt for me. Maybe I should post to a 1911 forum. Any recommendations on which one is the most popular?

wamphyri13
09-23-2011, 9:53 AM
1911forum.com
m1911.org
Ryan