PDA

View Full Version : Fixed sights on target 1911s?

Can't buy anything here
09-22-2011, 7:42 AM
I have Novaks on my Kimber Custom 2...but I kind of regret not getting target sights since I don't carry this gun...I wonder why so many of us get the fixed sights on a high end range gun...for me, I guess I just liked the way it looked...what say you guys?

himurax13
09-22-2011, 10:15 AM
Personally I prefer fixed sights (that are properly sighted in), especially on 1911's. That way I can use the fixed sights to rack the slide or unjam an out of spec round. With Target sights, that kind of thing would probably ruin them. Most target sights have sharp edges which can be a pain while powerstroking them.

Paradiddle
09-22-2011, 10:17 AM
I have both and they all work fine. While I've put Bomars on my last two builds, the 10-8 fixed I had worked just as good and they were worry free. Any time I've experienced a FTF while competing (which only happened one time) I've used the slide to rack the gun. If you properly "bury" a fixed sight into the slide you don't have a whole lot to grab onto.

That said if you had a specific drill where you had to one hand rack the gun I supposed it would be nice to use the fixed sight blades as opposed to an adjustable sight that could break. I will not be rubbing my 1911s on a table top to rack the gun so it's not a concern to me.

BamBam-31
09-22-2011, 10:51 AM
I love adjustable sights on my range guns, especially 1911's. I hate having to file, drift, etc., especially when you're shooting different loads with different POI's. I also like the way Bomars and their clones look (other adjustables not so much).

That said, I have Glocks and M&P's with Heinie Ledge sights for one-handed manipulations. Different guns for different purposes, I guess. :shrug:

DArBad
09-22-2011, 12:40 PM
I have Novaks on my Kimber Custom 2...but I kind of regret not getting target sights since I don't carry this gun...I wonder why so many of us get the fixed sights on a high end range gun...for me, I guess I just liked the way it looked...what say you guys?

I am in the same predicament as you. I guess, some compeling reasons why we buy the fixed-sighted guns are: they are cheaper to buy, more widely available, and less complicated to use (well, for me, at least).

Now, i am getting interested and more appreciative of the " adaptability " of the adjustables. BUT, like anything else in life, there is always a trade off somewhere. That being said, my next handgun purchase, whatever brand and model that'll be, will have adjustable-sights on it.:)

hkdad
09-22-2011, 12:59 PM
adjustable is the way to go. i like fooling around with the POI with different loads.

Target gun or match gun = Adjustable sights
Combat or SD gun = fixed sights

jeffrice6
09-22-2011, 1:29 PM
Just ordered my first and most likely only higher-end 1911. I knew I wanted a Les Baer PII but couldn't decide on Fixed or adj. I know it may sound trivial to some, but I went round & round for weeks weighing the pro's & cons. Yes it will be a range gun, no it will never be carried... It screamed to be an Adj pistol, but in the end I went with the fixed.
My justification: If I ever wanted to carry I could, Fixed sights aren't going to break or get "bumped" out of position, The fixed guns seem to have a higher resale value, They make small ADj's for the Novak cut (if I ever wanted) & for me, fixed are more aesthetically pleasing.

On a side note, I'm not a fan of Novak's. Once I take possession I will be installing either 10-8's or the Henie Ledge rear sights. Just one more frickin decision I have to make! :)

junkit_boy
09-22-2011, 5:19 PM
+1 on Fixed sights.

InGrAM
09-22-2011, 6:30 PM
If you don't carry it, then target sights are wonderful on a 1911. Nothing beats the look of a great looking 1911 with adjustable sights :drool5:

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/3889/coltgovernment.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/220/coltgovernment.jpg/)

elsolo
09-22-2011, 8:06 PM
How often you guys really adjust your sights "for different loads" ?

Unless you routinely shoot 50yds+ and switch around loads drastically, the POI doesn't change much.

In my experiences, adjustable rear sights "move around" more than the POI does. I went through a couple sets on my IPSC pistols, but ended up back with fixed sights than have been dialed in. We are aiming these things with a 5" sight radius, they aren't varmint rifles.

Voo
09-22-2011, 8:38 PM
Im not very accurate with my pistols so I tend not to worry about having adjustables.. So long as they're "close" then I'm fine with it.. The only gun I have that is radically off from POA/POI is my P226. But I've learned to live with it.. All my other guns are fixed and for the most part, they're all adequate in terms of POA/POI..

I think if you were into bullseye competitions or changed out loads often, adjustables would be a good choice.. Other than that, if the gun is pretty spot on, most people really wouldn't see the benefit of adjustable sights anyways..

InGrAM
09-22-2011, 11:43 PM
I hardly ever adjust my adjustable sights, it is more of a cosmetic appeal for me. I like the cosmetic appeal of adjustable sights on a 1911 (call me crazy) but If it's a range toy, then why not make it as cosmetically appealing as possible?

Can't buy anything here
09-23-2011, 7:53 AM
That's a real nice GM Ingram...:)

-hanko
09-23-2011, 7:58 AM

Unless you routinely shoot 50yds+ and switch around loads drastically, the POI doesn't change much.

In my experiences, adjustable rear sights "move around" more than the POI does. I went through a couple sets on my IPSC pistols, but ended up back with fixed sights than have been dialed in. We are aiming these things with a 5" sight radius, they aren't varmint rifles.
/thread. ;)

-hanko

hkfooey
09-23-2011, 10:49 AM
I have a old Custom Eclipse II and looking at the Henie rear to replace the adj site.

I don't like adj because it "move" (at least to me) - I changed most of pistol to fix with night site.

Any recommendation to get a good price (or cheap) Henie?

elsolo
09-23-2011, 12:39 PM
I hardly ever adjust my adjustable sights, it is more of a cosmetic appeal for me. I like the cosmetic appeal of adjustable sights on a 1911 (call me crazy) but If it's a range toy, then why not make it as cosmetically appealing as possible?

Nothing wrong with that at all; half of all gun customizing is for aesthetics.

sfbay
09-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Personally, I prefer fixed sights on my handguns. I use to have a Les Baer with target sights and about 200 rounds into it, a pin from the adjustable rear sight popped out. I subsequently got rid of that Baer.

Love my fixed sights for the reasons above.

helpme
09-23-2011, 12:58 PM

Well put :cool:

BamBam-31
09-23-2011, 2:14 PM

I routinely shoot 50 yds.+ at ASR's pistol silhouettes, and I do notice variations in POI with different bullet weights, even bullet makes (say Zero JHP's vs. Montana Gold JHP's). It is indeed slight, but when you're shooting 100 yds., it's nice to be able to turn a few clicks and get a proper sight picture than to Kentucky windage everything.

I'm probably in the minority, though.

ZX-10R
09-23-2011, 5:02 PM
If you don't carry it, then target sights are wonderful on a 1911. Nothing beats the look of a great looking 1911 with adjustable sights :drool5:

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/3889/coltgovernment.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/220/coltgovernment.jpg/)

Nice!