PDA

View Full Version : I want to build a M14 CA Legal around the Sage M14 EBR Stock

Bodyguard123
09-21-2011, 10:35 PM
Just like it states on the title....

I am looking to build a Sage M14 EBR Stock built M14, I dont mind having fixed 10 round magazines however I would really like to build one around this type of platform. (Unless there is a cheaper route)

http://www.topnotchtactical.com/content-product_info/product_id-1946/sage_m_14_ebr_stock.html

On that note.. I am looking for the most cost effective way of building this rifle. I am not against building it, however maybe its cheaper to buy it straight up fully built.

What ideas would you have for recievers etc to go with this to keep the price as low as possible or does anyone know specific places that could build what I am wanting for a fair price?

GW
09-22-2011, 12:08 AM
Building one from parts will be really expensive I suggest you buy a built M1A and tune as necessary.
Personally, I would not give up my being rapidly change 20 rd mags for a cool stock but hey! To each his own.
Good luck

slopoke
09-22-2011, 2:24 AM
If you want to do an M1A on the less expensive side to use with your EBR stock, go with a Springfield Armory standard already built M1A. If you can find a dealer local to you that will sell one to you at around MSRP out the door for one, you can consider that a good deal. If not get one from Buds Guns and find a FFL that will do a transfer. If you spend roughly $200 more you can get a Loaded model that had a match trigger, match medium weight barrel and match rear non hooded sight.

If you are considering accuracy with a Springfield Armory rifle, I have my scoped Scout shooting just a tad over 1" groups at 100 yards with a 168gn Hornady HPBT match bullet with IMR4895 for powder and I don't consider myself to be a good shot. My Loaded scoped rifles are right at 1" with the same bullet and powder.

If you were to do a build, I did a quick price check and with a "parts kit" from Treelinem14.com which has everything you need less receiver with a Criterion barrel will set you back $1295. Add a receiver ranging from $525 from Fulton Armory to $819 from LRB of Long Island (would be my choice). Now add $150 or so to have the barrel installed and headspaced. Your cost for parts and labor without shipping or DROS fees for the receiver or taxes ranges from $1970 to $2264. Building one will cost you money that you could use to offset the price of your stock.

strongpoint
09-22-2011, 3:46 AM
If you are considering accuracy with a Springfield Armory rifle, I have my scoped Scout shooting just a tad over 1" groups at 100 yards with a 168gn Hornady HPBT match bullet with IMR4895 for powder and I don't consider myself to be a good shot. My Loaded scoped rifles are right at 1" with the same bullet and powder.

several months ago, my scout (that's the 18" barrel model; it was less than $1,500 before shipping and DROS) shot a group about that size at 100 yards with german NATO surplus 7.62 mm ammo. i was looking through a scope that cost me about $50, and it was the second time i'd ever shot ANY rifle.

i'm not trying to brag -- it's a testament to the rifle. from an accuracy standpoint, i'd also endorse a springfield as a solid core around which you could build your dream rifle.

sage does make an EBR stock that lacks the pistol grip. absent other evil features, that stock would let you keep the detachable-mag capability, if you're interested in such a compromise.

Your cost for parts and labor without shipping or DROS fees for the receiver or taxes ranges from $1970 to $2264.

note also that fulton armory offers rifles with EBR stocks that START at around $3K.

thai562
09-22-2011, 4:10 AM
The cheapest way is to get a Springfield M1A and drop it in the Sage EBR stock.

But you can also build your own M14/M1A from the ground up, with receiver, barrel, bolt, trigger assembly, op rod and gas system. Than put it all in Sage EBR stock. For some reason, I don't think this is what you want to do when you said "build." To do this will cost you close to $3k.

Kimber
09-22-2011, 4:15 AM
Look here:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=474774

starsnuffer
09-22-2011, 7:30 AM
Building one from parts will be really expensive I suggest you buy a built M1A and tune as necessary.
Personally, I would not give up my being rapidly change 20 rd mags for a cool stock but hey! To each his own.
Good luck

Unless he already has an M1A and has prebans, he's stuck with 10 rounds anyway, in which case going featurless becomes a lot less interesting.

Only those who owned mags before the ban really benefit, not new enthusiasts who don't already own them.

-W

X-NewYawker
09-22-2011, 5:49 PM
Unless he already has an M1A and has prebans, he's stuck with 10 rounds anyway, in which case going featurless becomes a lot less interesting.

Only those who owned mags before the ban really benefit, not new enthusiasts who don't already own them.

-W

It still a neutered rifle if you need a tool to remove that 10 shot clip... And the sage stock is UNcomfortable, but to each his own!

brando
09-22-2011, 6:42 PM
i'm not trying to brag -- it's a testament to the rifle. from an accuracy standpoint, i'd also endorse a springfield as a solid core around which you could build your dream rifle.

I hate to break it to you but that's what's called an anomaly. An M1A Scout that shoots surplus ammo at 1MOA accuracy is pretty much unheard of. My personal experience was closer to 3MOA with surplus and 2MOA with my best hand loads, and that was after a bit of accurizing work too.

jtv3062
09-22-2011, 7:19 PM
I would go with the LRB action. See if Lou would sell a m14 without the stock.

slopoke
09-22-2011, 7:48 PM
I would go with the LRB action. See if Lou would sell a m14 without the stock.

They do sell complete barreled actions for $2059.95

http://www.lrbarms.com/m14receivers.html

jtv3062
09-22-2011, 7:58 PM
Damn, I had mine barreled by Ted Brown. All together I don't think I spent that much. I still wouldn't go the sa inc route if planning to scope it.

slopoke
09-22-2011, 8:12 PM
Damn, I had mine barreled by Ted Brown. All together I don't think I spent that much. I still wouldn't go the sa inc route if planning to scope it.

The OP wants a barreled action at the lowest price and no indication of desired accuracy. With that in mind going with a SAI complete rifle would be the best choice for him. Yes accuracy is hit or miss, but selling the stock with hardware since he's going to use a Sage stock would lower the price of a SAI M1A by about $200 or so considering Brownells sells a SAI walnut stock complete with hardware for $241.99 plus shipping.

jtv3062
09-22-2011, 8:36 PM
I've had problems with my sa inc rifle. One being able to scope the Damn thing, the smith m21 mount that I installed on the rifle will not allow me to get proper windage on the scope, the mount points to the right because of the receiver and not the mount. I also tryed a arms mount and its the same thing. Others have the same problem.
The other problem I have is the internal bolt raceway will not allow a smooth bolt travel but the rifle does function after going back to sa inc. I would not go cheap with the project the op is planning to do.

jtv3062
09-22-2011, 8:40 PM
Or he can buy one of these if he goes the sa inc route and has the same problem that I and others have.
http://sadlak.com/si_inspect_kit.html

Bhobbs
09-22-2011, 8:45 PM
If you want to build a great rifle start with an LRB M14SA receiver and have a gunsmith put it together. M14s are not like ARs where they are assembled like LEGOs. The M14 barrel has to be properly timed and headspaced.

slopoke
09-22-2011, 8:57 PM
I've had problems with my sa inc rifle. One being able to scope the Damn thing, the smith m21 mount that I installed on the rifle will not allow me to get proper windage on the scope, the mount points to the right because of the receiver and not the mount. I also tryed a arms mount and its the same thing. Others have the same problem.
The other problem I have is the internal bolt raceway will not allow a smooth bolt travel but the rifle does function after going back to sa inc. I would not go cheap with the project the op is planning to do.

My Scout receiver is out of spec and with using a Bassett mount, I had to use millet windage adjustable rings because I also ran out of windage adjustment.

The OP is going to use a Sage stock that has a forward upper rail and it uses a rear rail that attaches to the stripper clip guide only, not to the L/H side of the receiver where an out of spec groove will cause mount problems with mounts such as a Bassett, Sadlak, Smith Enterprise, SAI. So for a least expensive option the SAI would be it. For me, my next M1A is going to start off with a M25 LRB receiver with a Krieger barrel.

A-Ron
10-21-2011, 10:06 PM
You may want to consider this:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=491042

thrillhouse700
10-22-2011, 11:47 AM
That is a mighty hefty rifle. If your just benching it you will be good. I would personally take some carbine classes with it. It would be a great workout.

Inquirer
10-22-2011, 3:28 PM
OP, have you looked into the JAE G3 Stocks? They're super ergonomic, start at $599, and they're featureless assuming you don't use the stock M14 flash hider. Might be worth the trade-off of not having a pistol grip. They also boast a very, very good "metal-to-metal" fit so you don't need glass bedding for the stock. They're available here. (http://www.jallenenterprises.com/index.html) I don't own one, though, so I can't give a full report. Just food for thought.

--Inq

REDdawn6
10-23-2011, 8:10 AM
JAE are nice but they are at least 6 months behind in production. Take a look at the archangel stock