PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Model 67 Help

RuckerSMO
09-21-2011, 6:28 PM
I have a Winchester Model 67, a hand me down from my father and the first rifle I ever used. It sat in the safe for years and now I am trying to get it to work again.

Problem is, seems like the when the bolt moves forward to strike the firing pin, I don't think the bolt is moving fast enough. The spring is bad or the mechanism is gummed up, at least in my opinion. Either way, I need to take the bolt apart and clean it out.

I need instructions for disassembly, a diagram, a youtube video, anything that would help. Please, if you have anything, I would be very grateful.

Thank your for your time.

Asphodel
09-21-2011, 7:58 PM
Yes, 'gummy' oxydised oil could be the problem, alright.

If you are in the S. F. bay area, I'll offer to pull the bolt down and clean/polish the striker and other components for you........freebies, of course, I don't do any commercial firearms work these days, but enjoy helping out other Winchester owners.

If you are not in the bay area, put this question in the Winchester area on the 'Rimfire Central' internet site.....its quite probable that one of the Winchester collectors may have a set of the drawings, which he could copy for you.

Its actually quite a simple mechanism, but does require a bit of care in assembly/disassembly. There may be some burrs, which should be carefully dressed down with an oilstone.

cheers

Carla

RuckerSMO
09-22-2011, 6:28 AM
Thank you for the offer, unfortunately, I haven't lived in CA for 15 years or so, and haven't lived in the Bay Area for even longer. Living in AL at the moment, so I think my best bet is trying to disassemble and clean it myself. Just worried that I will screw it up.

I did go to Rimfire Central, very helpful. I will post over there and see what help I can get. Seems like a knowledgeable group.

Thanks again for your help.

hk91666
09-22-2011, 6:59 AM
I have a Winchester Model 67, a hand me down from my father and the first rifle I ever used. It sat in the safe for years and now I am trying to get it to work again.

Problem is, seems like the when the bolt moves forward to strike the firing pin, I don't think the bolt is moving fast enough. The spring is bad or the mechanism is gummed up, at least in my opinion. Either way, I need to take the bolt apart and clean it out.

I need instructions for disassembly, a diagram, a youtube video, anything that would help. Please, if you have anything, I would be very grateful.

Thank your for your time.

I have one that was my great uncles, I too learned how to shoot with it, Many a squirrel was harvested with it. Great gun.

RuckerSMO
11-12-2011, 8:27 AM
If anybody wants to know:

I got the 67 working again. Used some carb cleaner, rinsed with finger scalding water, WD40 to push out water, and CLP to push that out. Worked like a champ.

Played target poker with a shooting buddy, the most fun I have had with a rifle in a long time. Won with a pair of Kings.

Also managed to date the rifle a bit. My grandfather bought the gun through a Purina group by around 1937/38. Just shows that if you take care of a weapon, it can last several life times. Hoping to pass this one off to my almost 2 year old when she is ready.

Thanks again for the help I received. Shooters are the most sociable people I know.

bden
11-14-2011, 9:47 AM
^I'd love to know more about this. I shot my 67 just yesterday and was thinking it's time for a tune up. The bolt feels a little sloppy and there are occasional fail to fires. It would be great to find a way to tell its age too. Glad to see there are more of them out there!