PDA

View Full Version : Going to give Smartcarry a try

Bug Splat
09-21-2011, 3:15 PM
I've had 2 kids so my line will continue if things go bad :D. No but really, I think it will work well for me. I carry at home all the time. I like to slip out of my work clothes (suit) and put on basketball shorts and a T and just fart around the house till bed. I have always either pocket or IWB carried which can be a challenge with elastic shorts. Also our house is the neighborhood hub for all kids to play so there are always little eyes around. I have slipped in the past and not noticed my shirt flipped over my pistol. My kids (9 and 10) jumped in to hug me and cover my pistol from their friends and pull my shirt back down. Awesome kids right? Neighbor kids never noticed and the last thing I need is for them to run home and tell their parents I was flashing a gun around. I'm thinking a smartcarry will be comfy around the house. Anyone have any suggestions to make things safer or easier while using it?

ocmsrzr
09-21-2011, 3:22 PM
Smartcarry is a lot of things, I would not number comfortable among them. I have used it from time to time, I catigorize it as a carry method of last resort.

Have you considered a belly band or a fanny pack holster? Those have worked for me when I didn't have a belt to anchor my carry method to.

vintagearms
09-21-2011, 3:29 PM
I have sucessfully used a Smartcarry for a few years and can attest to them being durable and above all, safe. Really depends on your build, but for me a smaller pistol like a Kahr CW/PM/MK fits nicely where the Glock 26 took some adjusting to.
Its best to use a stall when releiving yourself or the other way is to rotate it to one side or the other if using a urinal. Great when using dress shirt/pants or when you have to tuck your shirt in.

p7m8jg
09-21-2011, 3:31 PM
<insert mental picture of going p** and then BANG>

:laugh:

Bug Splat
09-21-2011, 3:47 PM
I carry my Bersa so its a smaller thin gun. I have a slender frame so when I wear a pistol on my side it prints a lot. I thought the smartcarry was a good option to try. Kinda like a fanny pack without having to actually be seen..... wearing a fanny pack :(.

doc540
09-21-2011, 3:51 PM
have worn one for years

comfortable

safe

deeply concealed

inexpensive

might not work for your body shape, but it sure does for mine

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Smart%20Carry/DSCN0264-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Smart%20Carry/suit1-1.jpg

FeuerFrei
09-22-2011, 8:07 AM
It has worked for me and I have carried large frame and small frame carry guns in it.
Adjusting it to your body requires time and wearing it. Once you find your sweet spot you will get very comfortable. Has a good sweat barrier that works.
I use mine when wearing loose gym shorts or sweats while running/jogging etc..
Forget about printing.

doc540
09-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Depending on what gun you carry, it lays mostly across the top of your thigh and doesn't point at your package as most uninformed people suppose.

When sitting it slides under your pants pocket and remains virtually invisible.

zfields
09-23-2011, 12:44 PM
I just dont like the idea of a gun pointing anywhere near my junk.

zod
09-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Yup^^^^ I could just imagine sitting down in a busy restaurant......and blowing my nards off.

Bug Splat
09-23-2011, 7:00 PM
Received my Smartcarry today! That was FAST shipping especially from USPS clear across the country!

Looks and feels well made. Put it on right away under my basketball shorts and I must say this thing is great. Printing is almost nonexistent and even if it did, it just looks like my junk. Sitting is comfier than I expected and does not stick up or dig into my stomach like i was afraid. It just slips between the legs and out of the way. The trigger is completely covered and there is no way I could pull the DA trigger on my Bersa, I tried. No, it does not point at your business, it points straight down at your feet. Been wearing it for a few hours now and its been the farthest thing from my mind. Walking feels a little different but that feeling is going away. Not sure how people jog with it on, that must take some getting used to.

In short, I'm very happy with the build quality and the carry position. Its exactly like I hoped it would be.

Victor346
09-24-2011, 12:32 PM
My question about the Smartcarry: how are you supposed to get to it if you're wearing business attire? I mean, I see it's purpose when wearing shorts or something of the like but not sure about work attire.

doc540
09-25-2011, 8:31 AM
Let me repeat for those who don't understand yet.

With the SmartCarry, most compact guns do not point at your privates.

The muzzle is positioned to one side or the other, across the top of your thigh and down.

I carry a D frame Colt, so there's virtually no way it's going to accidentally cycle and fire unless I draw with my finger on the trigger, pull it, rotate the cylinder, cycle and drop the hammer. Not gonna happen.

And all that isn't going to happen by itself even when leaning over something like a workbench. The trigger is completely covered with thick, denim fabric.

To draw is simple and with a little practice becomes intuitive.

(right hand draw)
Suck in your gut.
Hook your left thumb behind your waistband and pull out.
Reach in with your right hand and secure the gun's grip. (I also curl my left fingers through my pants and on the edge of the cylinder for extra push and no where near the trigger)
Draw it from the holster.

And realize when drawing, all the contact and pressure is downward in the opposite direction of what it takes to cycle the trigger and hammer.

It's intended for deep concealment, not quick draw.

And with the right gun there is absolutely no printing. The gun's invisible.

With a little practice one can easily draw, point, and fire in about 3 seconds.

The slightly slower draw speed is a tradeoff for absolute concealment.

Might not be for everyone, but for years it's been working like a charm for me.

Hope this helps.

(watch multiple vid's on Youtube)

vintagearms
09-25-2011, 8:53 AM
My question about the Smartcarry: how are you supposed to get to it if you're wearing business attire? I mean, I see it's purpose when wearing shorts or something of the like but not sure about work attire.

Put your dress shirt on. Put the Smartcarry around your hips and over the dress shirt. Put your pants on. When you draw, take one hand and tug at your belt, with the other pull your handgun out. Its really pretty easy with practice. Definitely not quick draw, but conceals very well with dress clothes.

seansean
09-26-2011, 5:21 AM
I had one years ago, was able to carry a ruger p89(or as I like to call it, "the brick"), concealed without a problem. not that I'm advocating this, but smartcarry is excellent for carrying in, shall we say "non-permissive" environments :)

bombadillo
09-26-2011, 8:17 AM
http://www.smartcarry.com/images/smartcarrygirl.jpg

Look, now she has a penis!

I don't know about this one. First off, your weapon is pointed right at the ol twig and berries, second, look at their advertisements on their photo page, its laughable. I'd try a belly band holster or other methods first before this one.

doc540
09-27-2011, 5:51 PM
carried with one for about four years now

it doesn't point at my twig and berries...you don't wear it in the front pointing straight down, but off to the side
the grip typically rides right under your belt buckle with the gun offset

Charlie's a great guy to do business with and has 1,000's of satisfied customers

new
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Smart%20Carry/ExcaliberSmartCarry1Small-1.jpg

not so new
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Smart%20Carry/DSCN0672-1-1.jpg

Dark Mod
09-27-2011, 5:59 PM
So its a fanny pack you wear under your pants

NoJoke
09-27-2011, 8:03 PM
http://www.smartcarry.com/images/smartcarrygirl.jpg

Look, now she has a penis!

I don't know about this one. First off, your weapon is pointed right at the ol twig and berries, second, look at their advertisements on their photo page, its laughable. I'd try a belly band holster or other methods first before this one.

I was disappointed w/ the sites pictures. This pic seems to be more for getting some attention then how the thing lays.

I'm quite happy w/ the holster tho. Especially if you sit a lot.

Bug Splat
09-27-2011, 8:05 PM
So its a fanny pack you wear under your pants

HAHA yeah, kinda. Personally I can't stand fanny packs. I think they look dorky outside of the 80s and early 90's. They are very functional and a great idea but I just hate the look. This gives you the function of a fanny pack without showing the world.

Been carrying with the smartcarry for almost a week now and I'm really impressed. I don't even notice its there anymore. The pistol rides very low and for the um-teenth time its does not point at your jewels :facepalm:. I feel very safe carrying around guests that come in my home. Friends and family have pointed out when I printed or gave me a hug while using an IWB holster but none have noticed since I got my smartcarry. You would have to really study my crotch up close to notice anything and that's just not going to happen. For me its the best way to carry I have tried and I've tried them all. From shoulder rigs to ankle holsters, none were as comfortable as this. I'm sold for life. :)

mqd123
09-27-2011, 8:14 PM
My wife hates guns and she has no idea that I've been carrying one around for a year with the Smartcarry. I've carried a Kel Tec P11, Sig P220 Carry and now a Sig P239. After about two minutes, you'll forget you even have it on and with practice, your draw will get faster. Your junk is not at risk. So, don't worry. Great invention and good quality product. If deep concealment is your need, then this is definitely the way to go.

LovingTheYear1911
09-27-2011, 8:26 PM
Yup^^^^ I could just imagine sitting down in a busy restaurant......and blowing my nards off.

:rofl2: Good one!

dwtt
09-28-2011, 6:43 AM
I've used a smart carry when I ccw my P-11 and it works well. It's very discreet and people won't see the gun or the smart carry when it's done right. The people who say the gun points at your family jewels are people who have never used one and know nothing about what they are talking about, so ignore them. The only pants you can't use a smart carry with are bicycling shorts. The tight spandex is just too revealing, but a looser fit baggy mountain biking shorts are OK with the smart carry. I know from experience. The one bad thing about the smart carry is that you might accidentally carry a gun to a prohibited area like a federal building since it's so discreet and you carry more often.