PDA

View Full Version : Evil / Featureless question (flash hider related)

SDM44
09-21-2011, 1:27 PM
I did a search and couldn't find my answer.....

If you have a flash hider that's pinned to the barrel, like a 2" flash hider permanently pinned to a 14.5" barrel to make it over 16" in overall length, is the flash hider still considered 'evil' when it's permanently attached to the barrel?

Or does a pinned flash hider suffice the PC 12276.1(a) requirement, to where I would be allowed to run an AR rifle featureless? And on that same note, are you then walking a fine line since it 'looks' like an evil flash hider on your featureless rifle and drawing negative reactions?

lawaia
09-21-2011, 1:31 PM
It is still a flash hider, and an evil feature. No-go on featureless. Sorry.

SDM44
09-21-2011, 1:35 PM
ok, thanks for clearing that up

thrasherfox
09-21-2011, 1:42 PM
Wow dejavu.

Had the same problem. Except I did not get the explicit gouge I am about to give you to prevent you from going through the same fricken panic I went through.

I had asked all kinds of people what I needed to do to get rid of the flash hider and put on a muzzle break (so I could make my rifle featureless).

Everyone, including COLT when I emailed them said "ahh just twist it off, they come off easy" No one mentioned a single fricken word about not doing it.

(do I sound a little irritated?)

DONT DO IT. They do twist off, even with it pinned and they are NOT as hard as some people say it is. But as soon as you do you now have an illegal firearm in your possession and it becomes a difficult problem to rectify after that.

The "proper" way to do it is to take it to a licensed gun smith who is authorized to do such modifications.

One of the reasons you need to take it to a gun smith to put on a muzzle break (if that is what you want to do) is they have to either re-pin it or it has to be welded on. It HAS to be "permanently" affixed to the barrel. Even though pinning in my opinion really does not accomplish this, if done by the manufacture or a licensed gun smith it seems to be acceptable

zfields
09-21-2011, 1:52 PM
Nixed, Federal has the SBR constructive possession,

ke6guj
09-21-2011, 1:58 PM
Or just separate your lower from upper. No special gunsmith required to mod it. Think about all those Pistol uppers floating around, they are not automatically SBRs if they are not on a lower.

No constructive possession.

umm, incorrect. There is most certanly constructive possesion of an SBR in both CA and federal law. If you have a <16" upper along with a rifle or rifle lower, it is felony constructive possesion of a SBR, unless you have a legal use for the upper on a pistol.

thrasherfox
09-21-2011, 2:05 PM
Or just separate your lower from upper. No special gunsmith required to mod it. Think about all those Pistol uppers floating around, they are not automatically SBRs if they are not on a lower.

No constructive possession.

Please, seriously dont spread FUD

I went through this. I got raked over the coals by the admins here because they deleted some posts that I had made that I should have not made. I was asking for help, but I should have did it in a differant way, and the mods covered my rear end.

I eventualy had a discussion with a nice fellow from the DOJ. He was very informative and the bottom line is a person does not want to remove a "permanantly" attached flash supressor of muzzle break themselves.

Lesson learned. If a person has a 14.5 inch barrel and it has any kind of muzzle break or flash hider on it and the owner wants it removed, it legally needs to be done by an authorized gun smith.

SDM44
09-21-2011, 2:44 PM
The "proper" way to do it is to take it to a licensed gun smith who is authorized to do such modifications.

One of the reasons you need to take it to a gun smith to put on a muzzle break (if that is what you want to do) is they have to either re-pin it or it has to be welded on. It HAS to be "permanently" affixed to the barrel. Even though pinning in my opinion really does not accomplish this, if done by the manufacture or a licensed gun smith it seems to be acceptable

Ok, say you weld or do whatever you do to permanently attached the flash hider to the barrel, so there's no way it's coming off....

Is it still going to be an evil feature just because a flash hider is used, whether or not if you weld & smooth/blend it to the barrel so that it looks like it's all 1-piece (as an example, not getting into warping the barrel issues)?

So unless it's just all barrel (no ported end or flash hider of some type showing), it's still considered evil?

Just wanting to make sure before explanations go off topic and get away from the 'evil' feature of the rifle.

coyotebait
09-21-2011, 2:51 PM
A flash hider is a flash hider=evil

SDM44
09-21-2011, 2:57 PM
A flash hider is a flash hider=evil

Thanks. That answers that.

Munny$hot
09-21-2011, 3:08 PM
IIRC you can always weld on a washer on the end of the hider to make it into a brake.

thrasherfox
09-21-2011, 4:03 PM
Ok, say you weld or do whatever you do to permanently attached the flash hider to the barrel, so there's no way it's coming off....

Is it still going to be an evil feature just because a flash hider is used, whether or not if you weld & smooth/blend it to the barrel so that it looks like it's all 1-piece (as an example, not getting into warping the barrel issues)?

So unless it's just all barrel (no ported end or flash hider of some type showing), it's still considered evil?

Just wanting to make sure before explanations go off topic and get away from the 'evil' feature of the rifle.

As mentioned above, for whatever odd reason, Flash Hider = Evil:: Muzzle break = OK - not evil.

Honestly, I dont get it myself. but that is what it is.

If you havent looked at the flow chart, click on the link on all pages at top that reads "flowcharts @ OLL Assembly guide"

It will guide you on what is considered an evil feature and not.

Let me know if you need any help. I built a featureless AR. looks pretty plain. but heck it is light and it is not evil. I call it my wittle bunny rabbit :)

stix213
09-21-2011, 5:59 PM
Find another calgunner who owns an AR pistol, have them come over to your house for a BBQ and bring the pistol. Also provide beer, especially quality micro brew. While pistol is at your house, do the mods to your upper while removed from the lower. No more constructive possession problem. Not difficult to figure out. :rolleyes:

thrasherfox
09-21-2011, 6:35 PM
Find another calgunner who owns an AR pistol, have them come over to your house for a BBQ and bring the pistol. Also provide beer, especially quality micro brew. While pistol is at your house, do the mods to your upper while removed from the lower. No more constructive possession problem. Not difficult to figure out. :rolleyes:

Im guessing you have a pistol :)

MrPlink
09-21-2011, 7:03 PM
Im guessing you have a pistol :)

I do.. :D

just give the upper to a friend that either has a pistol lower or no rifle lower at all and have them do it, then when they are done, give it back.