PDA

View Full Version : How to remove magpul XTM rail covers? Anybody?

hollowpoint
09-21-2011, 1:00 PM
Does anyone know how to remove the magpul XTM rail covers properly? Hoping to do this without scratching my rail?

Thanks.

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab42/hollowpoint9mm_2010/DSC00673.jpg

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab42/hollowpoint9mm_2010/DSC00681.jpg

shark92651
09-21-2011, 1:02 PM
Insert a small punch or other pointy tool under each tab - there are two tabs on each pair - and push the two pieces apart.

BANG BANG
09-21-2011, 1:13 PM
you can even use a bullet from your AR to pry up each tab

djleisure
09-21-2011, 1:14 PM
I just use a bullet tip and make sure I'm pushing across, or "parallel" to the XTM piece (as mush as possible.) Also, make sure you're pushing towards the opposing piece NOT on the piece that the tab is attached to. ;)

It's real easy once you get the feel for it.

SDM44
09-21-2011, 1:29 PM
I do what others said, about using a punch/bullet/small screwdriver on each tab to loosen them up. But what I also do is use a small flat head screwdriver to help split the 2 pieces apart once I initially loosen them up (much easier than working them all with my fingers).

SDRider858
09-21-2011, 1:31 PM
I do what others said, about using a punch/bullet/small screwdriver on each tab to loosen them up. But what I also do is use a small flat head screwdriver to help split the 2 pieces apart once I initially loosen them up (much easier than working them all with my fingers).

This really works well +1

spdrcr
09-21-2011, 1:42 PM

+2 on this approach

nvision
09-21-2011, 11:52 PM
use the end tooth on each of 2 forks like what i did, works great.

CK_32
09-21-2011, 11:55 PM
haha I went through this my self. I figured out if you push one claw up and see a little gap. Leave it and go to the other claw and go back and forth. Then it will just slide right off.

I've taken my rail covers off 5 times now. took me about 3 to learn that works best and 4th and 5th to perfect it.

Doing both at once helps too but my rifle slides around too much for that.

The key is be gentle and slow take your rile. If you try to force and rip them off thats when you rip it off and put a nice scratch in your rail. That was what I tried the first time and was lucky I didnt scratch my rail.