PDA

View Full Version : Classic/Western style revolvers

Mister.E
09-21-2011, 1:44 PM
Iím looking for a classic/western style .357 that I can buy new. This would not be used for HD at all, just looking for a fun range/desert gun I can play cowboy with.

This would also be my first revolver.

verapakill
09-21-2011, 1:50 PM
If you really want to play cowboy this is the way to go. I have one and they are fun.

http://www.cabelas.com/pistols.shtml

LRShooter
09-21-2011, 1:51 PM
Have you looked at the Rugers? Vaquero and Blackhawk?

RedFord150
09-21-2011, 1:51 PM
Ruger Blackhawk would be first choice. This is a Single Action.
I recently bought a Heritage Rough Rider in .22 LR and .22 mag. It is a fun gun, I enjoy it a lot. However, I would not trust the quality in a larger caliber like the .357 mag.
Good luck.

Vacaville
09-21-2011, 1:54 PM

My first non-.22 was a Ruger Blackhawk .357, still have it and won't ever part with it. Built like a tank and accurate. The Vaquero is similar but with fixed sights. You can't go wrong with either.

Mister.E
09-21-2011, 2:04 PM

I have, currently seems like the best option for me.

Black Majik
09-21-2011, 2:25 PM
Often overlooked, but don't forget the USFA Rodeo.

Javi
09-21-2011, 2:27 PM
I want to go with Ruger New Vaquero in .357. I also like the Uberti's: http://www.uberti.com/firearms/army_navy_conversion_and_open_top.php

Browse around, they have a good variety of revolvers.

Curley Red
09-21-2011, 2:28 PM
I've got 2 Ruger vaqueros in 45 long colt that have had 1000's of rounds put through them without any issues. One of the best non Colt made revolver in single action in my opinion. I use mine for Cowboy Action shooting and target shooting.

shinbone
09-21-2011, 2:29 PM
If you really want the cowboy experience, take up reloading and get the 45Colt. Shooting an old cowboy gun in that caliber is an experience like none other.

Uberti, Cimarron, USFA, Beretta, and Taurus make great replicas of the original 1873 Colt SAA. And of course Colt too, but Ive heard USFA makes better Colts nowadays than Colt themselves.

If you want something you can just shoot and forget about, get a Ruger New Vaquero. Theyre like hotrods. Classic shape, with updated internals.

The Blackhawks and older Vaqueros are built on 44 sized frames.. Theyre not accurate representations of the original cowboy gun.

gatesbox
09-21-2011, 2:34 PM
+1 on Ruger New Vaqueros, they are pretty much the affordable standard for Cowboy action shooters....I'd get a .357 or 45 colt, a .22lr won't get you shooting in a SASS shoot if you choose to get involved, and if you want to play cowboy, get hooked up with a local SASS group....most of these groups can set you up with some guns for a first time shoot.....

bwiese
09-21-2011, 2:47 PM
Get a Ruger Vaquero or Blackhawk.

The Ruger New Vaquero is smaller and just about Colt SAA in size; the regular Vaqueros are big guns that can handle hot loads.

The other cowboy revolver clones often do not have 'transfer bar' safeties and then you have to carry over an empty chamber to be safe (in case of accidental drop).

Dimensionally compliant single-action revolvers with 5 or more rounds and 3+" barrel length (and 7.5" overall length when assembled) are exempt from CA"s "unsafe handgun" laws per 12133PC - so you could order from GunBroker etc and deliver to your local transfer FFL if you care to find a real special variant you like that is not commonly stocked.

Casual_Shooter
09-21-2011, 3:31 PM
Timely post. I have had the itch to get a cowboy style revolver (45lc or 44mag).

chuckdc
09-21-2011, 4:23 PM
Get a Vaquero or a Uberti replica, but in .357. .45 Colt ammo is ridiculously expensive unless you reload, and not as readily available as .38/.357 is. I have a replica in .45 Colt and I don't shoot it as much as I'd like because it's so expensive. The cheapest box of 50 is right around 30 bucks or so and it goes up FAST from there (as much as 55 a box!)

AragornElessar86
09-21-2011, 5:00 PM
Ruger all the way. The new Vaquero is almost identical in dimensions to the original SAA Colts, and their transfer bar safety system is a must.

scarville
09-21-2011, 6:48 PM
Ruger is really the best choice. AFAIK, all the others are clones of the Colt SAA so you have to carry it with an empty chamber under the hammer. The Ruger action is easy to work on and the triggers can be made very crisp without being too light. The 357 is the best all around caliber but if you decide on a 45, get a Blackhawk with the extra 45 ACP cylinder.

1JimMarch
09-21-2011, 7:45 PM
I'm in Tucson AZ these days. A heavily modified NewVaq357 is my daily-carry-without-fail piece :).