PDA

View Full Version : Irvington Arms in Fremont, Ca

chrisf
09-21-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm bored at home, I was just wondering what you guys think of Irvington Arms. I don't know if its just me but it seems like it changes every time I go there. One day they'll be cool or at least tolerable. The next they'll be just down right rude. Ive only made one firearm purchase (well ffl transfer) on my ar-15 lower and decided I didn't want to give them anymore business. But when they had ammo on sale I decided to go and give them another shot. The younger guy is pretty cool, But the old man has some serious issues. I haven't found a gun shop in the east bay that I enjoyed going to and thats sad. Although I haven't been to them all I am determined to stay loyal to the one I find. What do you guys think?

Fatstackz
09-21-2011, 12:30 PM
I went in to look at purchasing a handgun. The old guy seemed to be put out a little at first, but he warmed up a little (very little). Ended up buying a consignment there a few days later, he was in a little better mood. He is just very "matter of fact".

A few weeks ago I went in asking about night sights, the younger guy was helpful at first and then started getting a little impatient with my questions and flopped a catalog on the counter for me to figure it out, then expected me to tell him from that what I wanted so he could order it for me. So I went to Targetmasters, two hours later I was testing out my new Tru-glow night sights on my G23 and G21SF. I will still check and see what they have in stock from time to time. No grudges here.

nitroxdiver
09-21-2011, 12:34 PM
I've done business there and was treated well.

J&R in Livermore, and Tracy Rifle and Pistol in Tracy, get 99% of my business.
I've become friends with the owners of both places, and I think they both place a very
high importance on customer satisfaction.

Both shops have a pretty good selection, and can get what's not in stock pretty quick. Have had both places special order me things and I got them in a timely manner for a fair price.

ocmsrzr
09-21-2011, 12:42 PM
Irvington Arms is the FFL version of "That Guy". Save your sanity and blood pressure...just drive a little farther to another dealer and enjoy the customer service you wouldn't have got at Irvington Arms.

Fatstackz
09-21-2011, 12:49 PM
I've done business there and was treated well.

J&R in Livermore, and Tracy Rifle and Pistol in Tracy, get 99% of my business.

Same here.

dfletcher
09-21-2011, 1:03 PM
I'm bored at home, I was just wondering what you guys think of Irvington Arms. I don't know if its just me but it seems like it changes every time I go there. One day they'll be cool or at least tolerable. The next they'll be just down right rude. Ive only made one firearm purchase (well ffl transfer) on my ar-15 lower and decided I didn't want to give them anymore business. But when they had ammo on sale I decided to go and give them another shot. The younger guy is pretty cool, But the old man has some serious issues. I haven't found a gun shop in the east bay that I enjoyed going to and thats sad. Although I haven't been to them all I am determined to stay loyal to the one I find. What do you guys think?

I'm always in a good mood in a gun store anyway but I always function by adage "all men matter but none too much" and it helps.

dholla
09-21-2011, 1:04 PM
Just had a lightning fast PPT at J&R, and what I would say excellent service to the questions I had asked.

Cyc Wid It
09-21-2011, 1:35 PM
I'll put it mildly and just say you really better fit their ideal demographic if you want good service in there.

bwiese
09-21-2011, 1:43 PM
BigMac is a Calgunner and owner and a very nice guy.

Franksremote works there last time I checked and is helpful with ammo & reloading.

Dunno about other employees but these are nice guys and they've been selling OLLs early on.

sirr6
09-21-2011, 1:51 PM
Went there a couple time when I lived in the bay area. Didn't care for the place but when I saw the same kid who thinks he knows everything, rude and cussing all the time I stopped going there. Thank god I dont go there anymore.

jimmykan
09-21-2011, 1:55 PM
BigMac is a Calgunner and owner and a very nice guy.

Franksremote works there last time I checked and is helpful with ammo & reloading.

Dunno about other employees but these are nice guys and they've been selling OLLs early on.

I thought Frank owned the place.

WWDHD?
09-21-2011, 2:23 PM
Only bought one firearm there. An S&W M&P 9mm back in '08 during the buying frenzy back then. Decent price for the time. They were neither friendly or rude but rather indifferent to me buying and latter picking it up after 10 days .
I go in there a few times a year to look around if I'm in the area. I would buy there again if I found something at a good price but they're not at the top of my list.
I know many people here have a low opinion of Targetmasters in Milpitas but I find them very easy to deal with and reasonably helpful.

tragedyspring
09-21-2011, 2:31 PM
Nancy is the best at Targetmasters. I have bought/transfered all of my firearms there without issue. Also answered all of my questions without attitude. Also the other guys there are generally cool. I seen them kick out some stoners that reeked of pot who wanted to rent a gun and do some shooting. Also there is a KILLER taco place just up the road, Taqueria Las Vegas I think. Man I'm hungry. Never been to the place in Irvington, I will go there next time to check out some prices.

Cyc Wid It
09-21-2011, 2:40 PM
Targetmasters is no longer the place of 3 hour PPTs?

Merc1138
09-21-2011, 2:43 PM
Targetmasters is no longer the place of 3 hour PPTs?

Yes it is. Some people may not realize that a PPT shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

IPSICK
09-21-2011, 3:12 PM
If you go into Irvington w/o a relatively clear idea of what you want then service can be slow and offputting. But with a little knowledge and confidence, they are actually pretty efficient and the customer experience can be satisfying?

I usually go in there after doing a little research and they not only help me find the gun I want, but they also get me a very competitive price.

chrisf
09-21-2011, 3:22 PM
Yeah, Ill stick to driving ALLLL the way to stockton and stick to my place A+ customer service. Hell the first time I tried them my ar-15 was acting up, And i couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, I brought it in they looked at it and fixed not only what was wrong with the hammer but put the whole new parts kit in it for FREE and said "don't sweat it, remember us next time you want a new gun" ever since then I am a very loyal customer driving 140 miles round trip in a gas guzzling truck lol. But I am going to try target masters for my new ruger p95 here in about a week, They sounded helpful when I called, So we'll see. As for Irvington Arms, I have no grudges but I will not go there again unless they are the last gun store in the bay area, Ive given them the 3 strikes and your out rule.

Marlin Hunter
09-21-2011, 4:02 PM
I don't think they like Glocks. I have had good service from them, but they are 50 miles away from where I live.

tmorse
09-21-2011, 4:35 PM
I live in Fremont and have stopped by Irvington Arms several times. Never had a real good experience. Not terrible bad, but not welcoming. Usually shoot at the range in Livermore and stop by J&R when I can and alway feel like they want my business.

chrisf
09-21-2011, 4:38 PM
I hear metal dog tactical had good customer service, Only negative is they don't sell firearms. Good cheap ffl though. I emailed them about a question I had at about 10p.m (they where closed) to my surprise they emailed me back no more then 5 mins later. Cant wait until they get firearms.

415shooter
09-21-2011, 4:45 PM
Metal dog tactical (Tunis) had his FFL last time I talked to him.

Go Packers!
09-21-2011, 6:21 PM
I hear metal dog tactical had good customer service, Only negative is they don't sell firearms. Good cheap ffl though. I emailed them about a question I had at about 10p.m (they where closed) to my surprise they emailed me back no more then 5 mins later. Cant wait until they get firearms.

Metal Dog has been selling handguns, rifles, and shotguns for a few months. And yes, they have excellent customer service. They also have better prices than most of the Bay Area gun stores.

MrExel17
09-21-2011, 6:49 PM
This changed about a 1.5 month ago...check them out they have in stock a vary of ARs, shotguns, long guns, and exotic guns too. I was there 2 weeks ago they helped my out with my TROY for-end. Very competitive prices, excellent customer service, heavily with AR/AK parts, and building up on there ammo. Good Luck!

Artsville
09-21-2011, 7:05 PM
Metal Dog has been selling handguns, rifles, and shotguns for a few months. And yes, they have excellent customer service. They also have better prices than most of the Bay Area gun stores.

+1.....if you have not checked them out you have to stop by...bring them some McDonalds.

Josh3239
09-21-2011, 7:16 PM
Those guys treated me like s**t when I sent a pistol up there when I sold it to another Calgunner. It was not an AW which they acknowledged but still claimed it was illegal. When I tried to explain that it was legal, they used the same response, "Well handguns follow different rules". Then after agreeing to send it back to me they called me back a few hours later to threaten to turn it over to the police (a legal pistol registered to me) if I didn't pay for shipping back to SoCal and it had to go to an FFL. Even my FFL said that it sounded like they were just f*****g with me.

I have yet to meet any dealer that has treated me worse. Even The Gun Store in Vegas treated me better when I told them I was from California.

caldude
09-21-2011, 8:51 PM
I've done a few PPTs at Irvingtons, usually because it's half-way between me and people in the South bay. Not the biggest or friendliest of places, but I've been treated OK there. That said, J&R has been my go-to FFL. They know what customer appreciation is all about.

biogenic
09-21-2011, 9:00 PM
J&R and Jackson Arms rock when it comes to customer service

rkt88edmo
09-21-2011, 9:07 PM
I've done transfers there and bought used guns from Irvington, been a good shop for me.

mossy
09-21-2011, 9:42 PM
i have never had a real good time at IA, not bad but not good just so-so. if you are young (like me)don't expect to get the best treatment last time i was there i could tell that they were not interested in dealing with the young gunners.

gl17gl21
09-21-2011, 10:01 PM
I have never been there but I called them to see if they had or could get a Marlin 336w and the person on the phone said they did not have one and told me they were very hard to get so they would not even try to order one for me. I called Tracy Rifle and Pistol they did not have one either but the person on the phone said they could get one for me and start the paper work while the rifle was being shipped. The guys at Tracy Rifle were very helpful and polite. I will do all my future purchases with them because of their excellent customer service.

bigrod
09-22-2011, 7:49 AM
I'll put it mildly and just say you really better fit their ideal demographic if you want good service in there.

Unfortunately I've felt this exact thing from certain shops but not all.

beanz2
09-22-2011, 8:21 AM
I've been trying to get a hold of Frank for trigger work on my CZ75. I've gone to the shop in person and written him e-mails, even sent him a PM here on CalGuns. His last visit to the site was in April. Any one knows what happened to him?

Eljay
09-22-2011, 8:37 AM
I thought Frank owned the place.

This is a point of some confusion to me as well - Martin/BigMac owned the place and the service was great, I did all my purchasing there, etc. Now he just seems to be an employee and at least some of the people who work there are very unpleasant. I've switched to J&R partially because of the service and to be totally honest partially because it's very close to Green Leaf BBQ and I can combine trips, which makes the drive out to Livermore much less painful.

Centurion_D
09-22-2011, 8:51 AM
Nancy is the best at Targetmasters. I have bought/transfered all of my firearms there without issue. Also answered all of my questions without attitude. Also the other guys there are generally cool. I seen them kick out some stoners that reeked of pot who wanted to rent a gun and do some shooting. Also there is a KILLER taco place just up the road, Taqueria Las Vegas I think. Man I'm hungry. Never been to the place in Irvington, I will go there next time to check out some prices.

You'd be surprised how good the prices are at TM. If I was to purchase a pistol I would check them out first.

Realrammstein
09-22-2011, 9:19 AM
I was in the area and went to IA or some gunsmithing advice/work. I drive by the place and notice no sign or anything out front. I enter the back and I got this weird vibe (like they were sizing me up). I state my question and one guy with glasses was somewhat helpful. The other people's customer service was pretty meh. The did seem to have a lot of guns along the walls. They have a *huge* dog that had planted itself between me and the exit. I comment about the dog (expecting them to call the dog or do...Anything). Of course they didn't do anything to assist. I stepped past the dog and walked out swearing that I'd drive to SoCal before going back to this place. I already have a good FFL. I just need a good gunsmith.

starsnuffer
09-22-2011, 9:22 AM
I think it's just a front for meth dealing these days.

-W

ocmsrzr
09-22-2011, 9:23 AM
The only way I will ever patronize IA again is if they put that dog up for sale. :)

stix213
09-22-2011, 9:26 AM
Did a PPT there once. No problems and nice guys. If I lived more local, I'd give them real business.

Artsville
09-22-2011, 10:08 AM
You'd be surprised how good the prices are at TM. If I was to purchase a pistol I would check them out first.

This is true..their prices are quite fair and usually the cheapest in the Bay Area.

Joe
09-22-2011, 10:15 AM
metal dog tactical is awesome. So is j&r. Love city arms too

emsp
09-23-2011, 7:08 AM
I went there once, I have trouble buying anything from a place that is in between a "massage parlor" wink wink and a tattoo parlor. If you want service J & R or US Firearms in Sunnyvale is where you want to go.

gunafficionado
09-23-2011, 1:00 PM
Metal dog tactical (Tunis) had his FFL last time I talked to him.

+1

I went to their booth at the last Cow Palace Gun Show and they said they are an FFL and handle their own firearms transactions. Seems like good people.

kosherbacon
09-23-2011, 1:37 PM
I went there once, I have trouble buying anything from a place that is in between a "massage parlor" wink wink and a tattoo parlor. If you want service J & R or US Firearms in Sunnyvale is where you want to go.

Is it just me or are a good chunk of gun stores in the south bay located next to massage parlors and beauty salons? Eddy's, BA Gun Vault, and Gun Exchange are all next to beauty shops:p

My experience from Irvington was neutral. Owner seemed indifferent but the lady at the cash register was friendly enough. Not my first choice when window shopping but I certainly didn't feel unwelcome.

Also, don't step on the dog.;)

sig808
09-23-2011, 2:29 PM
I have always received good service and attitude from everyone there. But I only do transfers and don't really buy anything.

FullMetalJacket
09-23-2011, 4:41 PM
I've bought a fair number of things there (some lowers, some components) and I've had friends and family buy stuff there. I'm neutral-to-positive on the experience, for the most part. My only real negative is that, when I gave my friend an AR lower and upper and brought it to them for LPK assembly, the guy wasn't going to do it because I didn't have a magazine. I reluctantly bought one, only to speed things along but I don't think I should've needed to do that.

lumpygravy
09-23-2011, 9:25 PM
Kuma the huge Akita dog was the best/friendliest aspect of the place - but I'm a dog guy.

I wasn't treated rudely, but the friendliness coefficient was definitely on the low end of the scale.

I also had some work done on a gun and the six week estimate turned into over six months. I provided all parts even purchasing what I could from them to give them the accessory business. The 'smith did not respond to my emails and I eventually had to call to shag him down.

When I finally got my gun back there were definite fitment problems that no gunsmith should have overlooked. I had to do a fair amount of after work myself because I did not want to chance another six month wait.