PDA

View Full Version : Barrel question

prerunners4life
09-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Pick up my new brown acr tomorrow from rifle gear, I wanted to head out to burro on Sunday and shoot it a lil bit but now the famous question comes into play..

What do u guys think about barrel break in? Anyone do this?
How should I? Is it necessary?

djleisure
09-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Not necessary on a battle rifle. Just shoot it and enjoy!

AeroEngi
09-21-2011, 10:25 AM
Never did it on my AR-15 and it works perfectly fine. Just go out and enjoy your new rifle!

prerunners4life
09-21-2011, 11:36 AM
*****en, thanks guys

Mail Clerk
09-22-2011, 5:53 AM
If it's chrome bored no break in is required. My Bushmaster instructions indicate 100 rounds initialy to polish the lands.

Have fun

CK_32
09-22-2011, 6:15 AM
No just go shoot it.

In before YouTube video shows

bombadillo
09-22-2011, 7:05 AM
Shoot it, shoot it, shoot it!

TRRahHX9Zkg

:p:p:p

Love this video.

Speedpower
09-27-2011, 7:51 AM
Just wondering how come DPMS comes with instruction on how to break in your barrel, it says:
"To achieve the best results for accuracy you should clean the chamber and bore after every round for the first 25 rounds and then every round up p 100 rounds".
I never did on any of my rifles and now is wondering if it is really necessary.

Fiveohmike
09-27-2011, 7:55 AM
You have to single load every round. Then after ever shot you need to bore snake 3 times, run 8 patches through until no dirt comes off on your white latex gloves....you must let it cool down 10 minutes between shots...

Who am I kidding, put as many rounds downrange as fast as possible to break it in!

chead
09-27-2011, 7:58 AM
Just wondering how come DPMS comes with instruction on how to break in your barrel, it says:
"To achieve the best results for accuracy you should clean the chamber and bore after every round for the first 25 rounds and then every round up p 100 rounds".
I never did on any of my rifles and now is wondering if it is really necessary.

It's not necessary The idea you have to "break in" your typical barrel is kind of old school. Just shoot it, it's fine.

bombadillo
09-27-2011, 8:48 AM
You can look up the Krieger method. Its been a tried and true method for years and years and a lot of match guys swear by it. When I get a new gun, I'll typically just fire off a single shot. Use some CLP, run the bore snake through about 3 or 4 times, fire off 5 shots, and do that again 3-4 times. Then shoot the piss out of it. You'll see guys doing all these weird things to their guns and half the time watching them all they're doing is damaging the crown on their guns. Run a snake through a few times, use a bore light and check for burrs in the barrel, but other than that, just shoot it and clean it before you put it up. Pretty simple. People make WAY too big a deal of how they "break in" their barrel anymore.

I will say for the smallbore guys, there was an article I read that was using .22lr coated rounds. He would shoot 5 rounds and then run CCI stingers through it. The 5 shot group was basically one ragged hole and then the CCI going through it was pretty much the same until the coating wore off of the barrel. It slowly opened up more and more. Then another 5 rounds of the coated (I don't know if it was moly or what but it worked) rounds, and then more stingers. The stingers would shoot 1 hole as long as the coated rounds were shot through right before. It was a weird experiment, but it sure worked. I wish I could find that.