PDA

View Full Version : Medical School App and a Gun owner

dholla
09-21-2011, 10:06 AM
I am not sure where this should go exactly, apologize in advance if this is in the wrong spot.

My Girlfriend is applying to medical school at the moment, and is curious if having the HGSC and owning a gun may come up in the background check schools will do, and if it will hurt her chances being accepted.

Thanks for the input.

AeroEngi
09-21-2011, 10:22 AM
I am not sure where this should go exactly, apologize in advance if this is in the wrong spot.

My Girlfriend is applying to medical school at the moment, and is curious if having the HGSC and owning a gun may come up in the background check schools will do, and if it will hurt her chances being accepted.

Thanks for the input.

There's nothing wrong with legally owning a gun. If they discriminate against her for owning a gun, which is her right given to her by the constitution, then she can sue their asses!

CALI SHOT DOC
09-21-2011, 10:31 AM
I know several surgeons and doctors that own guns and shoot. it shouldn't hurt her chances at all.

DVSmith
09-21-2011, 10:32 AM
There is no record sent to the state of the HGSC. It is kept by the instructor.

I know of no way that a background check would show up owning a firearm short of some legal action associated with a firearm.

On top of that, why would a medical school care?

Briancnelson
09-21-2011, 10:33 AM
In one case I know of, I am assured it helped. It means they've been through a background check and the state didn't find a criminal record or a record of mental health issues. As the prior poster said, it doesn't really show up on a common background check however. You'd have to tell them about it probably, unless she's been involved in a self defense shooting.

dholla
09-21-2011, 12:40 PM
Thank you for the input guys.

Sam
09-21-2011, 2:50 PM
There's nothing wrong with legally owning a gun. If they discriminate against her for owning a gun, which is her right given to her by the constitution, then she can sue their asses!

That may work if gun owners were a protected class.

CK_32
09-21-2011, 3:18 PM

Yup!

fennecfrank
09-22-2011, 8:44 AM
same as above posts. she shouldn't worry too much about having a HGSC. i would, however, advise to be careful what she posts on the social network.