PDA

View Full Version : sig522 QC issues-loose upper to lower fit

dfun311
09-21-2011, 3:18 AM
Hello,

Just purchase one from big 5 in Colma and made the mistake of not examining th actual firearm closely. Besides the usual loose collapsible stock which can be remedied the upper to lower fit is very sloppy. The play is a several mm which makes this otherwise nice firearm feel cheap. Also the flash suppressors which were threaded are now welded on ( should have just bought the one on display) .

Well starting to feel like it was a crappy purchase and I did my research so beware, I would have been better off with a dedicated upper for my AR.

Curious if anyone else has run into this issue. Perhaps it is just the latest production run. I am thinking of calling SIG about it.

replies appreciated.

Metal Magic
09-21-2011, 9:15 AM
My Sig is the same really didn't notice it till after the first few range trips. I still think this thing will hold-up over time but it does have its flaws.

I would call Sig if your really concerned, or just check around at local gun stores and try to find a model to compare it to.

Packy14
09-21-2011, 10:28 AM
dedicated AR is the way to go, but no one listens. sorry for the problems.

dfun311
09-21-2011, 4:45 PM
Thanks for replies. It really baffles me how much attention this rifle gets and the positive review and this crap quality..( dont get me wrong it shoots anything but so what)

With AR reviews people pull out the feeler gauges and examine closely. But then again it was my fault. Just a warning to all you who read the reviews..examine the piece closely ..then go by a dedicated upper. Or get a plum crazy lower and upper for the same price..WTF sig.

norcalscot
09-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Thanks for replies. It really baffles me how much attention this rifle gets and the positive review and this crap quality..( dont get me wrong it shoots anything but so what)

With AR reviews people pull out the feeler gauges and examine closely. But then again it was my fault. Just a warning to all you who read the reviews..examine the piece closely ..then go by a dedicated upper. Or get a plum crazy lower and upper for the same price..WTF sig.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I have about 3000 rounds through my Sig 522, and there's a little bit of play between the upper and lower, but nothing serious.

On the other hand both of my ARs have play, and it drives me crazy :(

cjbalzer
09-22-2011, 12:48 PM
I have a sig 522 as well. All these new tacticool .22lr clones are toys in comparison to a real .22lr aka (ruger, cz, rem., ect. pass down 100yrs) and shouldnt be judged in the same category as such. You admitt that it cycles whatever. For a toy thats the number 1 thing to me. Ive had a walther g22 8 years ago b4 alot of the tacticool .22lr's were out and it was cool except it was unreliable as can be and had no aftermarket support except from walther. For a toy the 522 is better built than most with a real solid feel. It rattles like my high dollar ar's that dont have a set screw. The stock wiggles like my m4 stock the folder retention sucks but I dont need to shoot w/ the stock folded anyways. The stock adjustment is smooth as silk. The folder hinge wiggles because its plastic (go figure). But it has amamdextrious controls, looks and feels like a sig but is a toy .22lr clone that eats whatever I throw at it which is more than I can say for my 10/22, marlin, or other poe-dunk simi auto's ive been around. So on that factor and said classification the 522 is fun and reliable. Not a match .22lr or able to be easly turned into one. Time will tell but with regular use I could see my 522 getting sent back into sig for repair within the next 3 years but only because of regular ruff use and the folding stock getting slamed back and forth. Thats it. Under the same use I would refinish and get a new stock for any of my other .22lr's I use alot. However unless its a $300 custom folding stock (not butler creek) I dont think that it would hold up to regular use. Again its a toy to have fun with. Be happy its reliable, relativly accurate. It's not a longlasting traditional style of rifle, I think some look for the ultimate .22lr storm trooper rifle and dont get that with the 522. You would need a volquartizen base .22lr and a custom stock too get the fit finish you might be wanting but when your shooting a 1400 .22lr it takes the fun out of shooting .22lr

23 Blast
09-22-2011, 4:57 PM
I have a Sig 522 Swat and have been very pleasantly surprised by the quality and fit and finish. Perhaps it's because I got one of the earlier ones before the tacticool craze really took off and the QC was perhaps better on this one. I honestly would compare it favorably with the Marlin M39 I had.

Paul053
09-23-2011, 2:03 PM
Hmm...just bought a 522 too at the beginning of the month and I noticed the same thing. But after reading cjbalzers take on it, he does have a point. I bought it just to have some cheap fun, not defend my home with it.

Paul053
09-23-2011, 2:28 PM
I also remember reading somewhere on Calguns about shims you can use to tighten up the interface between upper and lower. Are these manufactured pieces or some homemade item someone cobbled up?

Found it...DPMS makes it, called the wedge...wonder if it will work on the 522?

bighead
09-23-2011, 2:32 PM
Mine has play but it dosent effect accuracy or reliability so I dont't icare

paintballdad
09-23-2011, 4:00 PM
My Sig 522 purchased in late 2009 doesn't exhibit the loose fit of the receiver and stock as you described. It has been very reliable with the ammo i've run through it and have never had any failures of any kind. I've since upgraded the bolt with the latest parts kit from Sig free of charge.
I've noticed that the latest samples of the 522 in the gun shops has changed from when i bought mine. They now include front and rear peep sights and the flash hider has been changed from threaded A1 style birdcage to a longer welded FH with diamond shaped cutouts. I'm not completely positive but i think the fake gas block is also polymer now instead of aluminum. The receiver fit on the sample i checked out in a recent trip to the gun shop was also slightly sloppier than mine.
All in all, i think cjblazer hit the nail on the head. The 522 is a fun little rifle that i use to introduce new and young shooters into firearms. They have much more fun shooting a tacticool .22 than a regular looking rifle. I'm just glad mine is just a little better made than the latest models, but i did pay slightly more for being an early adopter.

Paul053
09-23-2011, 5:02 PM
My Sig 522 purchased in late 2009 doesn't exhibit the loose fit of the receiver and stock as you described. It has been very reliable with the ammo i've run through it and have never had any failures of any kind. I've since upgraded the bolt with the latest parts kit from Sig free of charge.
I've noticed that the latest samples of the 522 in the gun shops has changed from when i bought mine. They now include front and rear peep sights and the flash hider has been changed from threaded A1 style birdcage to a longer welded FH with diamond shaped cutouts. I'm not completely positive but i think the fake gas block is also polymer now instead of aluminum. The receiver fit on the sample i checked out in a recent trip to the gun shop was also slightly sloppier than mine.
All in all, i think cjblazer hit the nail on the head. The 522 is a fun little rifle that i use to introduce new and young shooters into firearms. They have much more fun shooting a tacticool .22 than a regular looking rifle. I'm just glad mine is just a little better made than the latest models, but i did pay slightly more for being an early adopter.

Damn dude! I knew I shoulda bought yours! Turners woulda effed me though on my deposit.

paintballdad
09-23-2011, 5:08 PM
^LOL, you snooze you loose. I do understand though, no one wants to loose their deposit. Too bad your rifle came in before you can cancel.
I'm finishing up my AR-22 build and if it's as reliable and fun as the 522, the Sig will be going up in the marketplace.
Don't worry about the receiver wobble too much, as long as it shoots what you feed it then you're GTG.

tvfreakarms
09-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Well from what ive beem reading sigs in general has been experiencing QC.
If u got the older model sigs (pistols and what not) made in germany hold onto them.

goofcat
09-23-2011, 10:28 PM
I have an earlier 522 SWAT and the fit and finish is top notch. I put easily 4k+ through it with no issues. Just shot rifleman at Appleseed last month, so accuracy and reliability is great as well. If the newer Sigs are suffering quality issues, that is truly a bummer

GM4spd
10-07-2011, 5:15 AM
Mine has play but it dosent effect accuracy or reliability so I dont't icare

This----the thing shoots anything/accurately/every time---why worry
about something that means nothing.Pete

http://www.fototime.com/01922F0B74D4D20/standard.jpg

dfun311
10-07-2011, 11:43 AM
Thats a good point and I agree they hit the ball out of the park on reliability but would expect better fit from SIG and it also feels cheap with the creep. It depends on what you mean by accurate. Of course it has to affect accuracy a bit. I think I will shim mine and call it a day.

dfun311
10-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Also just noticed all the replies..appreciate that. I will check out the Wedge shims..
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=698479