PDA

View Full Version : surgeon rifles

Primewolverine
09-21-2011, 1:31 AM
im thinking of getting a 308 rifle is surgeon rifle worth to have?

slick_711
09-21-2011, 1:47 AM
What are you going to do with it?

Surgeon rifles are very nice, very accurate, and very well made.

They are also very expensive, and based off the Remington 700 action.

In my opinion, if you are going to be doing "serious" (competitive) long range shooting and/or have money to burn, by all means get one. If you need a hunting rifle or are just entering the world of precision long range shooting, get a 700 and invest in good glass, a single stage press, and some training. If I were going to get a Surgeon I don't think it would be a .308. YMMV.

Roddd
09-21-2011, 5:32 AM
You'll definitely get what you pay for. They're not for everybody, but if you have the money for one and the glass to compliment it, go for it! Just remember, those rifles are capable of outshooting many of the shooters so take that into consideration.

Mute
09-21-2011, 6:53 AM
In a word, yes.

DirtRacer151
09-21-2011, 8:34 AM
Surgeon builds great rifles.

I have 2 of their actions and I choose to have them barreled at Spartan rifles. The magic of surgeons is in the action. Any other knowledgeable smith can do the finish work on a barrel for you.

Brownells usually has surgeon 591s in stock. That's where I've gotten both of mine.

Bhobbs
09-21-2011, 8:36 AM
What are you going to do with it?

Surgeon rifles are very nice, very accurate, and very well made.

They are also very expensive, and based off the Remington 700 action.

In my opinion, if you are going to be doing "serious" (competitive) long range shooting and/or have money to burn, by all means get one. If you need a hunting rifle or are just entering the world of precision long range shooting, get a 700 and invest in good glass, a single stage press, and some training. If I were going to get a Surgeon I don't think it would be a .308. YMMV.

I agree. If I was going to build a custom rifle on an action like Surgeon, I would build something that outperforms a .308 Win. The 6.5s based on the .308 case are great cartridges.

CK_32
09-21-2011, 9:27 AM
I think there is a law you can't shoot below 600 yards with one :D

NFA stuff grr darn CA ;)

HK Dave
09-21-2011, 9:36 AM
If you want absolutely top of the line, best 308 bolt action rifle you can buy, you compete or are psychotic and capable of shooting sub moa consistently.... then YES.

The fact that you asked this question, tells me the answer for you is probably and honestly no. You'd probably be happier just getting a Rem 700, slapping it on a good stock and buying a TON of ammo and practicing until you'd actually see the benefit of a Surgeon.

:)

heycorey
09-21-2011, 12:16 PM
ees muy bueno ... :rolleyes:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f225/heystuart/bang/SurgeonScalpel.jpg

Bongos
09-21-2011, 2:08 PM
Check out the Guardian R&D Precision Rifles, they are out of Glendora, CA.
These guns use AICS and AW mags enterchangeable and very accurate

DirtRacer151
09-21-2011, 3:38 PM
Check out the Guardian R&D Precision Rifles, they are out of Glendora, CA.
These guns use AICS and AW mags enterchangeable and very accurate

I have a R&D precision built 223. It's built on a trued 700 receiver and is an absolute tack driver. Randy doesn't work extremely fast but if you're willing to wait im sure anyone will be happy with the results. He blended my muzzle thread protector so well you can't even notice it's there.

brando
09-21-2011, 4:52 PM
Better get it now as they were recently purchased and you never know for sure if the quality will remain the same during the transition.

HK Dave
09-21-2011, 5:25 PM
Better get it now as they were recently purchased and you never know for sure if the quality will remain the same during the transition.

Ooh didn't know he sold it, do you know if Mr Pritchett staying on?

Maddog5150
09-21-2011, 6:19 PM
I need to ask and not being a dick but how much experience at precision shooting do you have? Can you outshoot an off the shell heavy barrelled "tactical" rifle? If so, then by all means custom guns are worth the monies. If not, you are pissing away the cash. Its like buying a top tierd european race car but have no idea how to push it to its limits and at that point its just for looks and status. You can save yourself a LOT of money if you buy within your skill set and all the money you save you can buy kick *** optics, ammo, or lots of beer :D

bomb_on_bus
09-21-2011, 7:28 PM
Surgeon rifles are some of the finest out there. I would rank them above GAP and just under Tactical Operations.

I went to their little shop outside of Prague OK while I was out visiting family a few years back and toured the shop as well as fire one of their rifles. Preston is a stand up guy who really knows his stuff. He redesigned the 700 action and removed a few parts in the process. Their website has rifles in stock and ready to go as well.

If you have the money and the appreciation for fine engineering then you wont be disapointed. Most rifles they make shoot 1/4MOA and are built to order. t

Mute
09-21-2011, 7:30 PM
Ooh didn't know he sold it, do you know if Mr Pritchett staying on?

Here's an answer directly from Preston:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2761523&page=1

Primewolverine
09-21-2011, 11:10 PM
thanks for your input. im just fascinated the way its made and the engineering behind it. its not that i have money to buy it but i wanna have a very good and reliable long range rifle just for fun

DirtRacer151
09-21-2011, 11:27 PM
its not that i have money to buy it but i wanna have a very good and reliable long range rifle just for fun

Just get a factory remington 700 then. Invest in reloading and lots of components. Nice glass is a must too. A $4K rifle is worthy of $2k+ glass. Optics crap out on rifles about %99 of the time before the gun ever has any problems.

cabinetguy
09-22-2011, 11:09 AM
surgeon rifles are awesome, but pricey. if it is your first, and you dont handload, consider a rem 700 or equvalent and get some good glass for it. you can always sell the rem for around what you paid, and get the surgeon later after you get good at shooting long range. you will get nothing but dirty looks if you put a bsa scope on a surgeon since thats all you can afford.