PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700, torn between sps varmint or sps tactical

r3dtitan
09-20-2011, 10:36 PM
Well the old lady finally gave me the green light to go ahead and purchase a Remington 700 in .308 caliber. After weeks of researching I still can't decide if I should gt the sps varmint or Sps tactical. I know the varmint has a sloppy stock but a 26" barrel and the tactical has a 20" bull barrel with a decent stock . I also won't be doing to much up grading , so just rings and a scope I plan to use the rifle just for bench shooting but would Like to shoot out past 600 yards. I don't know which would satisfy my needs . please chime in and let me hear what inputs you have. Also if you know any good deals or locations that have them on sale please chime in

CK_32
09-20-2011, 10:57 PM
If your not looking to upgrade go SPS tactical.

The 20" barrel will give you all the velocity you will need to hit out to 1000 yards.

26" is over kill these days with all the newer powders and stuff. But if you think down the road your going to ditch the stock look at the varmint.

And if you plan on shooting paper 90% or more of the time get a bull barrel. Pencil barrels heat up and are made for 1 or 2 shots (Hunting) not shooting 10 shot strings like target shooting.

So I say sps tactical. I have one and love it.

killshot44
09-20-2011, 11:05 PM
Get the Varmint and put it in a better stock, there are lots of them for sale right now cheap.

You'll want to do it eventually....

My opinion; worth what you paid for it.

BAGunner
09-20-2011, 11:45 PM
Get 5R.

slick_711
09-21-2011, 12:10 AM
A 20" .308 will definitely let you reach "out there." If most of your shooting will be inside 600 yards I'd say SPS Tactical. If you actually plan to shoot out to 1000 yards more than just on the occasional whim, I'm no expert there, but the extra 6" can only help your cause. The 20" will do it, but not as well.

As to the stock differences between the two rifles, they are both mediocre. The Hogue stock on the SPS Tacitcal is more comfortable, has a very comfortable buttpad, and is grippy and comfortable to handle. It also has a lot of flex and shooting off a bipod it contacts the barrel. With a barrel profile that thick I'm sure this has no (or little) affect on your accuracy, but it bothered me so I tossed the stock on my SPS Tactical. The stock on the SPS Varmint is not as comfortable, but it is more rigid, and it has two forward sling studs, so you can actually use a sling without attaching it to the bipod.

Outside of good glass, the best thing you can do with a 700 is upgrade the stock. Bolt knobs, muzzle attachments, DBM kits, etc, are all neat but the stock and glass will make the rifle.

Also, read this thread: http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=459405

RT13
09-21-2011, 2:31 AM
Get a 26" bull barrel Varmint and then a bedded free floating stock like the HS Precision stock and never look back. What you'll have is a Remingon 700 Police. I use to own a 20" barrel SPS Tactical and added a Bell & Carlson stock. It's a great gun but definitely has it's limitations as you get further out. But under 300 yards, the shorter barrel has tighter groups from my experience.

r3dtitan
09-21-2011, 6:27 AM
Been reading through alot of the comments. Both have good points within each rifle, it's the reason why I still can't make up my mind. I really would like to be able to shoot up to 1000 yards but I wouldn't even know where I could find a long range like that to shoot at. I would also like to think I would take the rifle hunting but in actuality it's gonna be use for punching paper. Overall I would like to own a rifle that can do it all,but more realistically, I would hardly get the chance to take it to it's limits. I have been eyeing the sps tactical just cause I wouldn't have to change the stock for awhile but if I could find a varmint for a good price then I'd be sold.
I'm heading down to ammo bros today to go check em out and see which one I like.

5point
09-21-2011, 6:28 AM
Go with the varmint just change the stock itll be worth it theres some good deals on them at gunbroker also

sonnyt650
09-21-2011, 6:41 AM
Can only speak about the Varmint myself: with the factory stock I could regularly shoot sub 1" groups at 100 and hit soda cans very readily at ~200 yards. With the upgrade to a B&C Tactical Medalist I still shoot sub 1" groups at 100 :p, haven't tried the cans again. There are two facts that can be drawn from these results: my skills are the limit of precision and not the equipment, and the factory stock is good enough for me personally.

DirtRacer151
09-21-2011, 6:54 AM
The hogue stock on the tactical is still crap. It's a good stocl for hunting or looking cool at the range but you will never find one on any of my bolt rifles.

Search here and snipers hide for used 5R, PSS, 700P take of stocks. The HS stock is as good as it gets for a cheap price if you find a used one.

BTW...just get the 26" barrel and call it good. Later down the road you will want a muzzle brake anyway and its an easy task at that time to have your smith shorten the barrel to any length you want. Hopefully by that time you will know better about what style shooting you prefer based on what you had been doing previously with the rifle.

20 vs. 26 - who cares. Everyone tries to justify why 20" is good enough blah blah..."I can shoot 1000yds with my 18" barrel cause I saw it on snipershide". Sure it CAN be done but its a disadvantage and atmospheric conditions really play hell on those short/slow barrels. Just get a 26" and call it good. If you've had the rifle for a year and plan to hunt with it or you've never shot beyond 500yds and spend most of your time doing the skull drag in your back yard then chop it down to 18".

TayR_1911
09-21-2011, 9:41 AM
I have a tactical in .308 and I'm an avid shooter and didn't plan to upgrade it much. I've still got it and it's a great rifle for the money. So the tactical gets my vote

Bhobbs
09-21-2011, 10:02 AM
If your not looking to upgrade go SPS tactical.

The 20" barrel will give you all the velocity you will need to hit out to 1000 yards.

26" is over kill these days with all the newer powders and stuff. But if you think down the road your going to ditch the stock look at the varmint.

And if you plan on shooting paper 90% or more of the time get a bull barrel. Pencil barrels heat up and are made for 1 or 2 shots (Hunting) not shooting 10 shot strings like target shooting.

So I say sps tactical. I have one and love it.

I think overkill is not the right way to say it. I would say 26" isn't necessary to hit 1k but you get the benefit of not running nuclear loads to get the same velocity.

AeroEngi
09-21-2011, 10:04 AM
I'd say get the varmint and eventually change the stock to a HS Precision like the 700p or maybe something better.

r3dtitan
09-21-2011, 8:21 PM
well i just got back from ammobros and they didnt have either one of them in .308. luckily turners in long beach had the varmint and tactical in stock in .308 but i was still uncertain on which one i wanted so my gf told me to sleep on it until i made my decision. hopefully i can come to a conclusion tonight and make my purchase tomorrow so i can start the jail time for the rifle

MrElectric03
09-21-2011, 8:28 PM
Im going for the varmint. I plan on an AICS stock and way later down the road upgrading the barrel if needed but I doubt it will be. Finding HS stocks is not tough and theres also alot of others out there.

AM9000
09-22-2011, 8:54 AM
Whatever you get, invest in a stock that has a aluminum bedding block.

CK_32
09-22-2011, 9:06 AM
I think overkill is not the right way to say it. I would say 26" isn't necessary to hit 1k but you get the benefit of not running nuclear loads to get the same velocity.

I'm just trying to make the point of it being the only way to reach out to 1000.
But your right its more than whats needed to get to 1000 but it helps.

But good luck hauling around a 26" bull barrel lol

RugerNo1
09-22-2011, 9:22 AM
Elevation wise, where do you plan to do most of your shooting? If you are at or near sea level, then your aspirations to shoot 1000 yards with the 20 inch will be difficult to accomplish. I know of several incidents where the bullets did not arrive pointy end first on target from short barreled rifles at low elevations. At that point, accuarcy is a crap shoot and why bother at the distance you cannot be accurate at?

We can talk about Frank on Snipers Hide shooting his 18 inch at 1000 yards (which he shot in Colorado...i.e. very high which equals less dense air which equals higher sustained velocities), but your atmostpheric conditions will determine how far you can shoot given a particular load in a particular rifle with a particular barrel length.

My vote is for the 26 inch. Like someone above already said, you can always cut it down if you decide you prefer a shorter length. Perhpas when that time comes you will know more of what exactly you want to do with your rifle.

DirtRacer151
09-22-2011, 9:38 AM
We can talk about Frank on Snipers Hide shooting his 18 inch at 1000 yards (which he shot in Colorado...i.e. very high which equals less dense air which equals higher sustained velocities), but your atmostpheric conditions will determine how far you can shoot given a particular load in a particular rifle with a particular barrel length.

Let's also not forget that he was using a suppressor which helps add some velocity.

Using a short barrel to make 1000yd shots is like saying my factory stock pinto can do 150mph. Sure with the right conditions (tailwind, downhill, being pushed by a few rockets, and 5miles to get up to speed) it can be done but why not just use the right tool for the job that will do it regardless of the conditions or other factors?

RugerNo1
09-22-2011, 9:41 AM
Let's also not forget that he was using a suppressor which helps add some velocity.

Using a short barrel to make 1000yd shots is like saying my factory stock pinto can do 150mph. Sure with the right conditions (tailwind, downhill, being pushed by a few rockets, and 5miles to get up to speed) it can be done but why not just use the right tool for the job that will do it regardless of the conditions or other factors?

Exactly, having a supressor on the barrel is like adding an inch or two (depending on the length of the supressor, perhaps even more I do not know). There has been quite a lot of misinformation and misrepresentation of information around here lately.