PDA

View Full Version : Laws covering rimfire

AIbandit
09-20-2011, 10:15 PM
Hi I'm looking to move back into California. I've gotten my AR set up and ready to go but now I'm looking to get a M&P 15-22 before I head down. Following the flow chart is just says no AW laws against rimfire. Well are there any laws against it? Any features it can't have? mag size limitations?
Thank you!

FBJR
09-20-2011, 10:30 PM
They are legal here but only with a 10 rnd magazine.

Basically the AW law is for any centerfire firearm, the 10 round mag law is universal here for new mags of any caliber.

Remember, even if you have hi cap mags for your AR they are illegal to bring into the state.

Merc1138
09-21-2011, 12:16 AM

Basically the AW law is for any centerfire firearm, the 10 round mag law is universal here for new mags of any caliber.

Remember, even if you have hi cap mags for your AR they are illegal to bring into the state.

No, the AW laws apply to rimfire handguns as well. It's just that there is no AW law banning non-NFA rimfire long guns.

shadow65
09-21-2011, 4:57 AM
Can you bring high cap mags into CA if they are disassembled?

Nitrostix
09-21-2011, 5:23 AM
Yes, but if you assemble them here then they are illegal, since you have 'manufactured' a magazine in excess of 10 rounds.
JC

Quiet
09-21-2011, 5:41 AM
Can you bring high cap mags into CA if they are disassembled?

You can legally import magazine parts and use those parts to assemble a permanent 10 round or less magazine. [PC 12020(c)(25)(A)]

If you use those magazine parts to assemble a large capacity (11+ round) magazine, then that would be illegal (felony) because you will be manufacturing a large capacity magazine in CA after 01-01-2000.

Penal Code 12020
(a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:
(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.
(c)(25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:
(A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
(B) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device.
(C) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm.

CSACANNONEER
09-21-2011, 6:13 AM
There are no AW laws for rimfire LONG GUNS. There is no distinction between rimfire and centerfire handguns when it comes to Ca AW laws though. I just felt the need to clarify this before someone assumed something and committed a crime.

Since you are moving "back to Ca", you can legally bring back any +10 round magazines which you possessed in Ca before 1-1-2000.

AIbandit
09-21-2011, 2:25 PM
Since you are moving "back to Ca", you can legally bring back any +10 round magazines which you possessed in Ca before 1-1-2000.

Does anyone know if AR-15 .22lr conversion mags work in a M&P 15-22?

Lead Waster
09-21-2011, 2:49 PM
If you had "high cap" magazines, owned legally by you, and you didn't disassemble them but rather broke them somehow, but also purchased the part you'd need to fix them, is that OK legally?

I know people by "rebuld kits" to fix their ancient mags, but if you had new high caps that belong to you out of state, and are honestly broken (even if you broke them). And I mean broken, not just disassembled. Like you broke the followers off. But you also honestly purchased a repair part. That's all on the up and up, correct? YOu are not manufacturing and you are actually repairing it.

Oh, nevermind, I just realized that you are still importing them if you bring them into the state because there is no distinction between "working high cap" and "broken high cap".

Nevermind. I'll just leave the post here for "discussion fodder" as I spent the time to write it before realizing the error in my thinking.

Quiet
09-21-2011, 4:08 PM
Does anyone know if AR-15 .22lr conversion mags work in a M&P 15-22?

They do not.

The S&W M&P-15/22 uses proprietary magazines.

The Colt/Umarex M-4 .22LR and H&K/Umarex HK-416 .22LR uses proprietary magazines.

The ISSC MK-22 uses proprietary magazines.

The SIGarms SIG-522 and Kel-Tec SU-22 uses standard AR15 .22LR conversion magazines.

AIbandit
09-22-2011, 10:21 AM
Thank you sir

shadow65
09-22-2011, 10:44 AM
delete