PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Bedding a Remington 700

thomasesmith3
09-20-2011, 9:58 PM
I got the kit, know pretty much how to do it but would like to see a high quality video before I do it... All the videos I've found are either not thorough enough or poor quality filming. Please, I don't want to hear take it to a gunsmith, it ain't rocket surgery...

CK_32
09-20-2011, 10:04 PM
To be honest your better off getting a better stock. Like a used 700P or a SPS tactical.

Just saying if you havnt opened the stuff yet. Maybe go that rout.

ArmyMedicMoose
09-20-2011, 10:06 PM
don't listen to the above post, you'll still want to bed every stock you get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyn2Km6Lp08

rt7
09-20-2011, 11:18 PM
+1^

DirtRacer151
09-21-2011, 7:40 AM
+2^

I bedded my first tikka last night. The recoil lug was a little challenge since I'm used to bedding remingtons but I'm happy with the results. This was just a std wood T3 hunter stock that I use as a hunting rifle. Doesn't need to be 1/4 minute accurate but I want consistency when I'm traveling 5 states away to take 1 shot at a deer. There's a lot of money riding on a hunt like that to let it go to waste from a rifle that changed POI during the travels or being jarred around on a bumpy back county road.

1911su16b870
09-21-2011, 8:46 AM
Wax and clay and Liquid Steel and electrical tape and surgical tubing and a vise to hold it still while it sets up and time. :)

thomasesmith3
09-21-2011, 3:29 PM
Thank You ArmyMedicMoose exactly what I was looking for!!! I'm going to shoot for finishing the job by Friday evening for test shoot on Sat. AM... I'll post results...

tast101
09-21-2011, 3:32 PM
Midways USA has a video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMsxHL3nIZQ

hossb7
09-21-2011, 3:53 PM
To be honest your better off getting a better stock. Like a used 700P or a SPS tactical.

Just saying if you havnt opened the stuff yet. Maybe go that rout.

How do you know he doesn't have a "better stock"? Good job in the Assumption Dept.

Also, the Hogue stock that comes with the SPS Tac is garbage. It flexes under it's own weight when on a bi-pod.

Ask me how I know.

Answer: I own one.

DirtRacer151
09-21-2011, 10:21 PM
I finished my Tikka tonight. I would seriously advise anyone with a little common sense and a LOT of patience to give it a try. A practice stock is suggested for your first try.

Yesterday i had this-

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo36/dirtracer151/IMAG0110.jpg
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo36/dirtracer151/IMAG0112.jpg
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo36/dirtracer151/IMAG0111.jpg

and tonight i have this- :cool:
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo36/dirtracer151/IMAG0129.jpg

i took pictures step by step. I'll do a write up soon but that's gonna take some time to put together. There's probably about 30 pictures i took of the process.

I also installed some flush cups on the stock (seen on forend) while i was at it so that i can run my competition sling out in the field. :cool2:

CK_32
09-22-2011, 6:32 AM
don't listen to the above post, you'll still want to bed every stock you get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyn2Km6Lp08

I might know much... But I think this guy may know a bit :rolleyes:
And that's a better stock than the one the OP plans on bedding.

HsQUwzEqvQc

And that video you posted above looks like a high end stock he's bedding. Just FYI.

RugerNo1
09-22-2011, 8:03 AM
I might [not] know much... But I think this guy may know a bit :rolleyes:
And that's a better stock than the one the OP plans on bedding.

[YOUTUBE]HsQUwzEqvQc[YOUTUBE]

And that video you posted above looks like a high end stock he's bedding. Just FYI.

The OP said he wanted to bed his stock. Bedding the action to the stock reduces stress on the action by making a more uniform contact between the action and the stock. This usually results in better accuracy.

The video that you posted is trying to accomplish similar results "on the cheap" because that was the purpose of the video. However, the gentleman in the video already said himself that shimming the stock is not 100% reliable. Shimming the recoil lug still does not accomplish what bedding the stock will do. Which is, I repeat, to reduce stress on the action and creat a uniform fit between the stock and action.

P.S. You are still in assuming what stock the OP has. Until the OP himself states what he has, the assumptions lead us nowhere and could lead to bad information. For all we know the OP has a McMillan, Manners, etc. stock that he wants to bed on his own.

thomasesmith3
09-22-2011, 8:10 AM
Well, it was my grandfather's so I want to keep it original, I thought about the upgrade on the stock but I'll be happy with a 500 yard rifle... All my research shows that upgrading the stock does make it more accurate than wood but that the real benefits aren't realized until 500 plus yards or severe hot or cold weather... I did it last night, clean-up today and range this weekend so we'll see... My goal is to hit cantaloupes consistently at 500 yards, so we'll see how it goes... If not I guess i'll upgrade the stock as per CK_32's video post, thanks!

DirtRacer151
09-22-2011, 8:14 AM
The OP said he wanted to bed his stock. Bedding the action to the stock reduces stress on the action by making a more uniform contact between the action and the stock. This usually results in better accuracy.

The video that you posted is trying to accomplish similar results "on the cheap" because that was the purpose of the video. However, the gentleman in the video already said himself that shimming the stock is not 100% reliable. Shimming the recoil lug still does not accomplish what bedding the stock will do. Which is, I repeat, to reduce stress on the action and creat a uniform fit between the stock and action.

P.S. You are still in assuming what stock the OP has. Until the OP himself states what he has, the assumptions lead us nowhere and could lead to bad information. For all we know the OP has a McMillan, Manners, etc. stock that he wants to bed on his own.

+1 all that video proves is that the hogue stocks truely are junk but can be ghetto rigged with coke cans to shoot better. The guy makes it clear that a properly bedded rifle will be easier to shoot off different rests or posistions due to the consistensy and strength of a stronger more consistent platform.

RugerNo1
09-22-2011, 8:19 AM
Well, it was my grandfather's so I want to keep it original, I thought about the upgrade on the stock but I'll be happy with a 500 yard rifle... All my research shows that upgrading the stock does make it more accurate than wood but that the real benefits aren't realized until 500 plus yards or severe hot or cold weather... I did it last night, clean-up today and range this weekend so we'll see... My goal is to hit cantaloupes consistently at 500 yards, so we'll see how it goes... If not I guess i'll upgrade the stock and pillar bed it...

Sounds good. Post of pics of your handiwork so we can see!:)

About 7-8 inches at 500 should be easy for that old 700. The only 700s I own are older than I am (both have iron sight mounting screws on the side) and all I can say is that they were made better back then, in my opinion.

Coyotegunner
09-22-2011, 9:02 AM
Nice job on the Tikka.I used info from Larry Potterfields Midway,but was doing it before video.The video from ArmyMedicMoeese is great also.I have done about 70 plus rifles over the years.Picked up a few ideas in the time to add.I use professional machine release wax(2 coats)on anything metal.It dries hard,and comes off with brakleen.If you do not have dowels,for gods sake put wax all over the bolts and in the screw holes.Recently had a friend do his own from my instructions without waxing bolts.That one is never going to come apart without a grinder.Also put a couple layers of tape on the barrel in a couple spots,to keep it floated.The tape down in the video,I do different-Use soft rope and a dowel to do a tourniquet and tape the dowel to stay in place.I agree with starting with a good stock in the first place.I love aluminum bedded stocks and buy them when I can afford it,but I still glass them as well.They are generic and supposed to fit the model purchased for.Still sloppy in my standards.Factory Rem Senderos,Weatherby Accumarks included.I love rifles and a trigger job/glass bedding job is part of my thing on all of them.

CK_32
09-22-2011, 9:04 AM
Well, it was my grandfather's so I want to keep it original, I thought about the upgrade on the stock but I'll be happy with a 500 yard rifle... All my research shows that upgrading the stock does make it more accurate than wood but that the real benefits aren't realized until 500 plus yards or severe hot or cold weather... I did it last night, clean-up today and range this weekend so we'll see... My goal is to hit cantaloupes consistently at 500 yards, so we'll see how it goes... If not I guess i'll upgrade the stock as per CK_32's video post, thanks!

Ooooohhhhh.... missed that part. Yea if your looking to keep a family rifle then keep it as is and ignore my posts. I thought you were looking for a project rifle.

I just didnt want you to try and make a budget precision build and waste your time bedding and old cheapy stock.

Post pics when finished. GL. :)

thomasesmith3
09-22-2011, 10:46 PM
Well, took pics but lighting was horrible and you can't see crap... It did turn out pretty darn good for my first time. I had a bulge in the barrel channel above the sling swivel/bi-pod that had rubbed the blueing off the bottom of the barrel. No doubt that was causing issues... I'm set for Sat. morning to find out...

CK_32
09-23-2011, 6:50 AM
You should have done a before and after grouping.

thomasesmith3
09-23-2011, 3:14 PM
Before was 2-3 MOA at best... Very bad!!!

RugerNo1
09-23-2011, 6:24 PM
Before was 2-3 MOA at best... Very bad!!!

For granddad's old hunting rifle that is average....

I think we are a little too spoiled today with accurate rifles right out of the box. Makes you wonder how hunters took game for so long with primitive firearms. :)