PDA

View Full Version : LEO running serial numbers...

Kenneth83
09-20-2011, 9:50 PM
So my buddy and I were talking the other day about LEO`s running the numbers if one were to be stopped while carrying (w/ current CCW). Of course the chances of them taking the time to do that if the weapon is listed on the permit is slim... Anyway, question is, what info do they get when they run the numbers? Does it just pop up if it stolen or can they see who the gun is registered to and maybe more info? Just curious, any ideas?

Norsemen308
09-20-2011, 9:59 PM
pops up just like plates on a car, make model, registered owner, if it is a pistol. If it is a long gun it wont be in the system unless its stolen.

Tripper
09-20-2011, 10:03 PM
the serial comes back as a CCW firearm on your permit, your DROS, and date of purchase, as well as any previous owner of that firearm if not new.

tileguy
09-20-2011, 10:07 PM
Tripper are you sure it comes back as a firearm on your permit. i always wondered because i have a couple pistols that ive had for many years that are not registered to me, purchased used years ago before the reg. law.

Tripper
09-20-2011, 10:20 PM
any pistol on your ccw, is registered with DOJ, and will return as such if that serial is run
if your name is run, it will return every pistol you own, any pistol you sold (previously owned), any pistol on a ccw if applicable.
(the above assumes the pistols are regsitered in the first place)

tileguy, after reading your post again, I'm going to assume, that since you had to list any pistol you intend to carry on your ccw application, that action is what puts it on the doj return. I'm guessing you mean that a pistol on your ccw had never been registered or DROS'd to you, is that correct? if its not on your ccw, it would still not return you as the owner if you've never registered it of course.

InGrAM
09-20-2011, 10:24 PM
It wont be in the system if the handgun was imported into the state before the handgun registration.

You give the serial numbers of the guns on your LTC. As long as it matches the serial number and make, on your permit, then you are OK. While carrying.

tileguy
09-20-2011, 10:51 PM
Tripper correct back in the 80s you could buy used firearms at yard sales and out of the classifieds. cash and carry no registration. one that i purchased in 1989 the seller actually gave me a bill of sale because he thought he bought it legally and in 1991 i put it on my permit and in 1994 a couple of detectives came to my house asked a couple questions. i gave them the bill of sale thank god i still had because i forgot the guys name and they told me it was stolen and that they came to collect the weapon very depressing day it was a very nice S&W 640 centenial. i gave them the weapon and they left no problems since.

Tripper
09-21-2011, 9:28 PM
yes tileguy I understand that,
the serial being ran will still return as a CCW for you. if its a weapon on your permit that is.
I havent personally observed that exact situation, but I will keep an eye out for it now
I'm thinking it would come back as CCW, and just wouldnt return the DROS info.
I agree that anything prior to registration requirements would not apply here, same as running a serial on a rifle would not return with the DROS info.

crazychinaman
09-22-2011, 6:56 AM
The sytems is not perfect though.It has it mistakes.A freind who is retired Huntington Beach Sargent,ran check on himself to see if the systems works.And guess what,It showed he owned 3 colt python .357 revolvers.He never own such pistols,He owns Smith and Wesson pistols though.