PDA

View Full Version : .45 Carbine use

Hallz
09-20-2011, 9:21 PM
I found a LGS in Sacramento that is actually getting 5 of the 4595TS Carbines in tomorrow, 3 are already spoken for so not much time before they are sold out.

Therefore I was just wondering about what you guys think about a .45 carbine and their possible uses? (HiPoint hating aside)

My understanding is that you "could" hunt with it,..so my question is what are the realistic hunting capabilities, limitations and other uses of such a firearm?

Thanks!

thomasesmith3
09-20-2011, 9:53 PM
Think of using it as you would a shotgun with slugs. At 125 yds. you begin to push it's capabilities... One good thing is that if you have a .45 ACP pistol as a secondary, in a SHTF situation, you only have to carry one type of ammo. Now up close and personal it is devastating!!! Rapid semi-auto fire with the longer barrel adds a couple hundred fps to that big hunk of lead... You should check on legality with Fish and Game about hunting with it, most states won't allow hunting with .45 ACP, but that's from a pistol...

OC-Indian
09-20-2011, 10:11 PM
My favorite shooter. Eats all ammo including the cheap gun show reloads. And there is a YouTube video somewhere of a guy modifying a 15rd 1911 mag to work. For when you go out of state of course

Full Clip
09-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Eh, not so ugly if it shoots like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX2uzHazI9w&feature=related). Price is right. About $300?

http://www.parallaxtactical.com/store/images/4595ts.gif

MrPlink
09-20-2011, 11:38 PM
ugly as all sin!
The basic design isnt bad, just too many busy crap lines...

cool gun though!
Besides, you cant see it when you are shooting it!

VegasND
09-21-2011, 4:58 AM
It's heavy. I wouldn't take it hunting because I could carry a more powerful rifle that weighs about the same.

But, it's a lot of fun and it's inexpensive.

ns3v3n
09-21-2011, 9:40 AM
Probably for a fun little planker, especially if you have a sidearm in that caliber, then you only need to reload one type of ammo/buy one type of ammo.

Hallz
09-21-2011, 12:52 PM
It has taken me a while to buy a 45, but since I accuired my Ultra Carry 45 I love the caliber (despite the price)

I have the 995TS and what a value and fun gun to shoot!

Originaly I wanted the 45, but finding them localy was an issue. Paying over $ 450 to get one in hand was not going to happen.

The thought of a 45 version just says" Buy me". I just want to know if it has any practicle uses other that hunting paper and cans?

nrakid88
09-21-2011, 1:03 PM
A .45 carbine, with factory ammo, is going to basically produce the same terminal effects of a pistol in .45.

And its going to be more unwieldy in tight places, and have a fixed 10 round magazine.

The only plus side is it SHOULD be easier to shoot tighter groups with the carbine (assuming high points shoot tight).

If you handload ammunition, maybe you could get a 185 grain round (smaller so more powder capacity) loaded with some slower burning powder so you can get as much powder at a good pressure to maximize that barrel length. Even then, I would guess you would be lucky to get 300 more feet per second, very lucky. Even then... its still a 45acp round, and won't be nearly as good as a 12ga slug or rifle cartridge.

One more plus side, the 45acp out of that long barrel should be relatively quiet.

Honestly, unless I can get a SBR of about 7" I won't get a pistol caliber carbine (suppressor would be nice too), at 16" might as well go 5.56, .308 etc...

mif_slim
09-21-2011, 1:08 PM
I found a LGS in Sacramento that is actually getting 5 of the 4595TS Carbines in tomorrow, 3 are already spoken for so not much time before they are sold out.

Therefore I was just wondering about what you guys think about a .45 carbine and their possible uses? (HiPoint hating aside)

My understanding is that you "could" hunt with it,..so my question is what are the realistic hunting capabilities, limitations and other uses of such a firearm?

Thanks!

YOu can hunt Big game with any center fire cartridge. But, for 45ACP, i think you'll be good to hunt the northern parts of CA where the range is much closer 50-100 yards average. But for the southern part you'll want a longer range gun. The 45 will drop and its ballistics will drop dramatically at longer distance so you might wnat to concider that a 45 for hunting limited ability is about 50 yards or less. Which you should be fine living in sac. I hunt Ice house area and we get deer anywhere from 3-70 yards with bow. no reason a 45 wont be able to do the same distance.

nrakid88
09-21-2011, 1:31 PM
If you hunt with 45acp, don't use human bullets. Use hard cast lead so you get good penetration.

darqhelmet
09-21-2011, 2:18 PM
I have a HK USC, love the gun fun to plink with and it means only one type of ammo for range day. It also allows me to shoot carbine indoors which is nice. I have tried pushing it out to 200 yards at Angeles but the round was falling out of the sky. It does group nicely at 100 though. I would never take it hunting. Pistol cal carbines are for fun that is really it. Due to CA laws. Now if you could SBR and have standard cap mags with out a bulletbutton or radlock that is a entirely new game.

nrakid88
09-21-2011, 2:35 PM
I have a HK USC, love the gun fun to plink with and it means only one type of ammo for range day. It also allows me to shoot carbine indoors which is nice. I have tried pushing it out to 200 yards at Angeles but the round was falling out of the sky. It does group nicely at 100 though. I would never take it hunting. Pistol cal carbines are for fun that is really it. Due to CA laws. Now if you could SBR and have standard cap mags with out a bulletbutton or radlock that is a entirely new game.

Be even cooler if it was a UMP and you could just hose it down range

darqhelmet
09-21-2011, 2:54 PM
Be even cooler if it was a UMP and you could just hose it down range

That it would be. Although I don't think I would like the cost of ammo...

nrakid88
09-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Thats why you need a .22lr clone!

Army GI
09-22-2011, 11:45 PM

Thanks!

My opinion is this:

As much as I love the 45 ACP cartridge, pistol caliber carbines are pretty much obsolete and useless when you consider the alternative.

The main advantage to a pistol caliber carbine is that you can buy them cheaper than an AR15 or AK carbine. This is because it's mechanism is much simpler compared to that of a legitimate rifle: straight blowback as opposed to gas operated/rotating bolt action.

In a historical sense, the WEAKNESS of the pistol cartridge worked to it's advantage. Turn of the century gun designers couldn't create a gun that wouldn't self-destruct with the full-powered rifle cartridges of the era (think Thompson who originally wanted his automatic weapon to be chambered in 30-06). You were pretty much left with over-built rifles that weighed as much as a railroad tie like the BAR.

That is why WWII subguns were the strategists' dream, a fully automatic weapon that cost half as much as a rifle and could be made cheaply with stamped parts. What's not to like?1?!?1....Oh yeah pistol rounds peter out after 100 yards unless you put all kinds of holdover on it.

So even though the gun itself is cool, you would be way more versatile with an AR or AK variant. The only redeeming quality about these pistol caliber rifles is the price. But with all the surplus SKS's and other such rifles out there, even that doesn't really matter anymore. For the money you're willing to spend on something like that, I highly suggest you get a Saiga in 7.62x39 or 5.45x39 instead. Would much MUCH more practical.

Army GI
09-22-2011, 11:51 PM
Now that is just speaking in strictly practical terms.

If you want that gun "Just to have"...then by all means have at it!!!:)

If practicality was the only criteria for owning a gun, then nobody would be collecting anything other than the latest technology. If something about a .45 ACP rifle just makes you go "F-yeah" I want that, then don't listen to what we say, just go buy it and have fun!

Hallz
09-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Thanks army.
all the mall ninjas and every other shooter bragging about how much $ they have into their AR has turned me off on the platform. Im trying to get over it....just having troubles.

Im looking to fill any gaps in my rifle colection 22, 9mm, M1 carbine, 22/250, 30/30, 30 .006, 300 Weatherby, 12,20 & a 410 shotguns.

sugguestions anyone?

Penzanse
09-24-2011, 4:40 AM
My opinion is this:
...A whole lot of verbage in here....
"Would much MUCH more practical".

^^Bolds mine....

Practical? What has practical EVER had to do with a gun choice? I gets it cuz I wants it! If it's practical it's just an unexpected feature!:p

Penzanse
09-24-2011, 4:52 AM
To the OP. Buy it. Shoot it. Have fun. It is the joy you felt the first time you pulled a trigger on a .22. The first time you shot a muzzleloader and the smoke billowed. The first FA, the first 50, etc. It is the JOY of shooting. It is simple. It is cheap. It is fun. It works. A no question warranttee. Why have you not yet bought it? I have the 4095 and i like it. If you don't understand it, then you have missed the Zen of the Gun.

VegasND
09-24-2011, 6:26 AM
Get over worrying about everybody else and buy what you want when you want it.

It's your money, it's your time, and most of all it's your life. Enjoy it as you please.
Thanks army.
all the mall ninjas and every other shooter bragging about how much $ they have into their AR has turned me off on the platform. Im trying to get over it....just having troubles.

Im looking to fill any gaps in my rifle colection 22, 9mm, M1 carbine, 22/250, 30/30, 30 .006, 300 Weatherby, 12,20 & a 410 shotguns.

sugguestions anyone?

plumbum
09-24-2011, 8:21 AM
Nothing beats the first time you notice the 1 second delay from BANG to the 100 yard target THUMP; it's like throwing rocks!

A .45 slug can put down a blacktail deer fast. It should be restricted to primitive distances (75 yards or less).

Hallz
09-24-2011, 9:13 AM
oh no worries guys. im getting it cause i want it as said above. im also thinking ahead to my next score.

all input welcome on rifle selection. looking for a med to large game rifle.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
09-24-2011, 10:30 AM
HK USC Carbine with Grease Gun conversion and ST grip wrap. It would take a deer (especially the scrubby little mulies around here), but I wouldn't trust it to do that reliably past 75 yards either. I don't think I'd call any .45ACP long gun a "large game rifle" unless you intend to sneak up to contact distance. :D

http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt279/grumpyoldretiredcop/HK%20USC%20Project/CompletedConversionRightSidesmall.jpg

It started out looking like this:

http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt279/grumpyoldretiredcop/HK%20USC%20Project/Beforesmall.jpg

Anchors
09-24-2011, 2:46 PM
Ammo is cheaper and you get to shoot your rifle that isn't a .22LR at an indoor range.
That is my favorite part.
I need a handgun caliber carbine.

MrPlink
09-24-2011, 3:49 PM
Thanks army.

sugguestions anyone?

Get an AK.

You can brag about how little you paid for it, how little ammo costs, and how little you take care of it ;)

fatfreadiescat
09-24-2011, 5:06 PM
Just picked up a marlin camp 45 and camp 9.
Allready have a 1911 and a S&W 459 is paid for doing the 10 day wait now.
I like rifle and pistol with the same cal and mag.

Low-Pressure
09-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Can't beat the price, I might be getting one soon. As mentioned, it can be shot at the indoor ranges. :)

mcordell
09-30-2011, 1:25 AM
I have the 995 is is bad ***. I'm able to drill a thumb tack at 35yrds first shot. Something not covered in the flow chart that I could tell is having a 9mm carbine with a forward grippod any idea if it is legal?

Hallz
10-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Update,
I went and put my deposit down on a 4595 ,when I told my lady she rolled her eyes, smirked and said I had already spent to much $$ on guns this month.

When the shipment came in, I went in to pay the balance and to my surprise my lady had payed it off. Mind you this was after I took the week of my birthday off to go 4 wheeling ....yet she is taking me to dinner when I get back!

New XD40, Siaga 12, HiPoint 4595, all you can eat wings, Barrett's Lake for 4 days....and no complaints from the other half. That's what I call a birthday!!

This Woman continues to prove prove she's a keeper!

mcordell
10-12-2011, 3:41 PM
Lucky!!!

darqhelmet
10-12-2011, 6:02 PM
Update,
I went and put my deposit down on a 4595 ,when I told my lady she rolled her eyes, smirked and said I had already spent to much $$ on guns this month.

When the shipment came in, I went in to pay the balance and to my surprise my lady had payed it off. Mind you this was after I took the week of my birthday off to go 4 wheeling ....yet she is taking me to dinner when I get back!

New XD40, Siaga 12, HiPoint 4595, all you can eat wings, Barrett's Lake for 4 days....and no complaints from the other half. That's what I call a birthday!!

This Woman continues to prove prove she's a keeper!

Kind of hate you right now. You made out like a bandit. :D