PDA

View Full Version : Purchase Out of State & Tax

Phil3
09-20-2011, 10:08 PM
Couple of questions. As a California resident, can I buy a bolt action rifle out of state (Nevada), over the counter? What steps are required to take possession? Can I just pay the cash over the counter and walk away with it, or...?

Secondly, if a firearm is shipped from out of state (say Nevada again), to a FFL, why is the FFL wanting to collect sales tax? They did not sell it to me, the dealer in Nevada did, and normally they would collect the tax for CA or I would pay it :rolleyes:

$75 for transfer, $25 for DROS, CA sales tax...27% of the entire price of the firearm. :mad:

- Phil

Cyc Wid It
09-20-2011, 10:16 PM
No it has to be shipped and transferred. Your FFL is held responsible for this tax (assuming you are buying a new gun from a shop elsewhere and not an occasional sale from a private individual), so it behooves them to collect it from you. That is why most of the time it ends up being about the same price when it's all said and done.

Merc1138
09-20-2011, 10:18 PM
No, you must ship it to an FFL here in California.

Yes they're going to collect the use tax on it if it was purchased from another FFL. The use tax has been in place for years, except now since the state is desperate for money they're looking to enforce it any way they can and with a firearm transfer they know you bought something.

Unless it's rare and out of production making it hard to find or something, yeah the DROS, tax, and transfer fees making buying guns out of state usually kinda pointless unless you're doing it in bulk and get a better deal on the transfer fees(and since you'd only need to do one DROS).

Phil3
09-20-2011, 10:22 PM
So is the Nevada dealer going to check to see if I live in CA and insist he ship it to a FFL? Or is the law of the country that any firearm sale from a dealer to an individual must go through a FFL? Sorry for the naive questions, but my first firearm purchase from an out of state source.

- Phil

zfields
09-20-2011, 10:25 PM
has to go through a CA FFL.

xxINKxx
09-20-2011, 10:31 PM
If the said seller in Nevada is a dealer (FFL/gun shop) then he is required by law to check your ID and have you fill out the paper work and get the instant background check done. If your not a resident of that state he must ship to a FFL in the state you live in and do the proper paper work there

Merc1138
09-20-2011, 10:36 PM
So is the Nevada dealer going to check to see if I live in CA and insist he ship it to a FFL? Or is the law of the country that any firearm sale from a dealer to an individual must go through a FFL? Sorry for the naive questions, but my first firearm purchase from an out of state source.

- Phil

You're not going to find a way around the wait or the tax without breaking a law somewhere in the process.

Phil3
09-20-2011, 10:38 PM
OK, got it. Thanks. Looks like I will just order it and have it shipped here, do the paperwork and sit back for 10 days.

- Phil

Librarian
09-20-2011, 10:40 PM
OK, got it. Thanks. Looks like I will just order it and have it shipped here, do the paperwork and sit back for 10 days.

- Phil

That's the right thing to do to stay out of the BATFE crosshairs.

See also Interstate transfer - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_firearms_Interstate

Asked and answered.