PDA

View Full Version : Are all AR bullet buttons the same?

smog7
09-20-2011, 8:14 PM
Or are some better quality then others? Which brands are the best?

shark92651
09-20-2011, 8:17 PM
There is only one Bullet Button brand, although they make models for different firearms. Everything else is a "magazine lock" of one form or another, but Assault Planet is the only maker of the Bullet Button (although there are some clones our there ripping them off) and it is a registered trademark.

Having said that... :) My favorite magazine locks for the AR are the Bullet Button, AR Raddlock, and Vamfire MLD.

SanPedroShooter
09-20-2011, 8:19 PM
Raddlock baby, gen three, I think. Its about ten bucks more than the BB, but the salesman at my LGS swears its worth it. Thanks Rifle Gear! J/K it was Ammo Brothers, the other best gun store in So Cal.

I am off to a free state tommorow, two turns of a little screwdriver and my mag drops freely. I guess a cop could tamper with it in evidence, but that seems remote in the extreme.

shark92651
09-20-2011, 8:28 PM
You should give the Vamfire MLD a try as well. It has a very large hole like the Bullet Button, but once you turn the screw to lower the outer button you are pressing directly on a cap threaded onto the magazine catch just like a standard magazine release button. It feels very solid. The only negative is that it uses a very small allen wrench instead of a small screwdriver, but on the plus side you can store it in your pistol grip in a little ziplock bag or something so you won't lose it easily.

Noah3683
09-20-2011, 8:34 PM
The Vamfire MLD is my favorite. I had bad luck with the raddlock

CK_32
09-20-2011, 8:49 PM
Not even close..

And this is like asking which AR is best your going to get 1000 differant answers. For my raddlock is as good as it get if you want to "legally" transition from bb to normal msg release.

For a pure bb only idk never used one. I doubt there is a differance.

smog7
09-20-2011, 9:07 PM
are the "holes" on all maglocks/bullet buttons the same size?

I would like to use these magazines:

http://ubbt.net/ubbt-installed-c-products-1030-maga1030.html

thomasesmith3
09-20-2011, 9:40 PM
Raddlock, use a tool when in Cali, unscrew it 5-6 turns and it operates like regular mag release when out of Cali...

kosherbacon
09-20-2011, 9:45 PM

My brother has a Raddlock that doesn't work with the UBBT. Hole too small. Apparently the current UBBTs fit, I'm told.

Donk310
09-20-2011, 9:51 PM
No. Some are better that others. Its all personal pref.

motorwerks
09-20-2011, 11:34 PM
Radlock K thanks Bye. :)

someR1
09-21-2011, 7:53 AM
Not even close..

my raddlock is as good as it gets.

THIS !

I just installed my Raddlock last night and WOW it is seriously better than anything else out there. Better fit and finish. Turn the key inside and BAM you have a regular mag release that you can use outside of CA. turn it back to position one and you have a regular bullet button. Damn I wish I had this thing a long time ago.

Metal Magic
09-21-2011, 8:00 AM
One more vote for a Raddlock, I have two and both work flawless.

CK_32
09-21-2011, 8:22 AM
THIS !

I just installed my Raddlock last night and WOW it is seriously better than anything else out there. Better fit and finish. Turn the key inside and BAM you have a regular mag release that you can use outside of CA. turn it back to position one and you have a regular bullet button. Damn I wish I had this thing a long time ago.

Huh... I guess I'm a better speaker than I thought ;)

But yea I tend to sell people on raddlocks. But it's because its a legit system. I stillhavnt found a single thing to complain about.

If your unsure my YouTube channel in my sig has a couple videos on it.

someR1
09-21-2011, 9:31 AM
I think it is a great design, especially for people that shoot outside of CA. For the extra $10-15 it is money well spent.

Colt-45
09-21-2011, 11:14 AM
These are the two cheaper options:

1. Most popular
http://quentin-laser.com/store/images/Prince%20Bullet%20Button.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/eL_OriGinaL650/Picture1.png
-Good for people that travel out of state often. This option is a regular magazine release with a hex screw that if put in all the way it prevents the mag release from being pressed. When the screw is all the way in you can only top load the rifle. When you take off the screw it becomes a regular AR mag release. This option is cheaper than the first one.

After these there's all the pricier ones.

Dave A
09-21-2011, 11:18 AM
I like to keep it simple, so prefer the original BB. To be honest I have never tried the Raddlock, but the original is cheaper and foolproof. I made a tool that allows turning down the nut well past the end of the threaded stem. If there is the possibility of getting hassled, it can be adjusted until until the magazine cannot be released at all, converting the rifle into a top loader.

If out of state and I really have to drop mags and burn ammo as fast as possible, my parts/repair kit contains the original parts, which can be changed out in about 30 seconds.

ejhc11
09-21-2011, 11:25 AM
+1 on AR Raddlock

SDM44
09-21-2011, 11:25 AM
These are the two cheaper options:

http://quentin-laser.com/store/images/Prince%20Bullet%20Button.jpg
(Most popular)

I know with these, you can easily use a bullet's point to release the mag, or any small screw driver that can stick into it and release the mag. Quick & fast mag changes for the CA ranges when using a tool.....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/eL_OriGinaL650/Picture1.png
-Good for people that travel out of state often. This option is a regular magazine release with a hex screw that if put in all the way it prevents the mag release from being pressed. When the screw is all the way in you can only top load the rifle. When you take off the screw it becomes a regular AR mag release.

... but exactly how does this one work in CA? Do you need to manually unscrew it, release the mag, then screw it back in EVERY time you want to change out a mag?

I'm new to AR's and BB's, but I travel a lot to NV and will be using it out of state as well as in CA.

What I would like is a BB that I can use a tool (bullet tip or small screwdriver) to insert into the BB and drop the mag right away. But then I'd also like the BB to be able to 'change' it so that it works like a regular mag release when I'm out of CA.

Will the Raddlock or any others work like this?

Again, sorry... I know what BB's are but just new to shopping for them.

Colt-45
09-21-2011, 11:32 AM
... but exactly how does this one work in CA? Do you need to manually unscrew it, release the mag, then screw it back in EVERY time you want to change out a mag?

What I would like is a BB that I can use a tool (bullet tip or small screwdriver) to insert into the BB and drop the mag right away. But then I'd also like the BB to be able to 'change' it so that it works like a regular mag release when I'm out of CA.

The second option that I listed, you can only topload the rifle, meaning you push in the rear take down pin and load the magazine from the inside. I got mine for 15 bucks, sold it because I never really go out of state.

The raddlock is the one that can be both a bullet button and magazine release. It is pricier though, in the $35-45 range. I listed the cheaper ones.

shark92651
09-21-2011, 11:42 AM
I know with these, you can easily use a bullet's point to release the mag, or any small screw driver that can stick into it and release the mag. Quick & fast mag changes for the CA ranges when using a tool.....

I'm new to AR's and BB's, but I travel a lot to NV and will be using it out of state as well as in CA.

Will the Raddlock or any others work like this?

Again, sorry... I know what BB's are but just new to shopping for them.

With the Prince50 style you pull the pivot pin on the back of the rifle, tilt the upper open, and insert rounds into the magazine that is fixed inside the rifle. This is called "top loading" and is pretty much unheard of these days. If you loosen the screw on the Prince50 you have just turned your rifle into an Assault Weapon, which is a felony. The Prince50 is pretty much only used by people that shoot almost all the time outside of California or who turn the screw and hope they don't get caught. I would always recommend a regular Bullet Button over the Prince50 for anyone that intends to use their rifle legally inside California.

Any of the locks described so far will work as you describe EXCEPT for the Prince50 set screw style. You can use a Raddlock, or a Vamfire MLD, or a regular Bullet Button with the Bullet Button Wrench for when shooting out of state.

Aftermath686
09-21-2011, 11:54 AM
If you plan on actually running and gunning, Prince50 no question... If you plan to mostly shoot off of a bench, a BB style device would be better suited for the task. I personally prefer the Prince50 on all my guns...

Just my $0.02

SDM44
09-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the info. I just looked up youtube vids of the Raddlock and Vamfire MLD BB's.

I really like the Raddlock (ease of use and installation). Plus I like the fact that is can work like an 'extended mag release' button when out of state. Either way, most likely I'll pick up a Raddlock.

I saw some people talking about different generation Raddlocks. Is there a difference between the older ones and newer ones? Which one is the newest one? I see some sold as "Gen 2" or "Gen X" but they look the same to me.

triggs75
09-21-2011, 12:24 PM
The original bullet button with the Vamfire FreeLock Mini Kit for me.

Here is the mini kit that goes in the bullet button http://www.riflegear.com/p-497-vamfire-freelock-mini-kit-red.aspx

http://www.riflegear.com/images/Product/medium/497.jpg

someR1
09-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the info. I just looked up youtube vids of the Raddlock and Vamfire MLD BB's.

I really like the Raddlock (ease of use and installation). Plus I like the fact that is can work like an 'extended mag release' button when out of state. Either way, most likely I'll pick up a Raddlock.

I saw some people talking about different generation Raddlocks. Is there a difference between the older ones and newer ones? Which one is the newest one? I see some sold as "Gen 2" or "Gen X" but they look the same to me.

this is what u want : http://www.riflegear.com/p-470-raddlock-ar-series-magazine-lock.aspx :)

Prince50
09-21-2011, 7:07 PM
I just so happen to like the Bullet-ButtonŽ best, but that is probably to be understood.

Prince50 magazine lock still has it's place for a select few who shoot out of the state more often than in state.

Bullet-ButtonŽ Convertible is for those doing a mix of in and out of state, and or .22LR swapping.

We offer all three levels, and in fact the Bullet-Button convertible offers all three levels all by itself. It is the only one that does I think.

Regards,

Darin

Tinfoil_Hat
09-21-2011, 7:37 PM
Huh... I guess I'm a better speaker than I thought ;)

But yea I tend to sell people on raddlocks. But it's because its a legit system. I stillhavnt found a single thing to complain about.

If your unsure my YouTube channel in my sig has a couple videos on it.

+1 on the Raddlock. I like mine a lot.

smog7
09-21-2011, 7:51 PM
so do UBBT mags work with raddlocks?

OHW
09-22-2011, 4:35 AM
Vamfire MLD. Will never use anything else.

dascoyne
09-22-2011, 5:23 AM
I have the Raddlock on one of my ARs ... the only problem is that, in the non-CA condition the mag release button is a little wobbly. I bought a couple of Vamfires to try out - seems like a solid system.

someR1
09-22-2011, 9:02 AM
I have the Raddlock on one of my ARs ... the only problem is that, in the non-CA condition the mag release button is a little wobbly. I bought a couple of Vamfires to try out - seems like a solid system.

Did you tighten it down all the way so it sits flush on the receiver ?

Wherryj
09-22-2011, 2:30 PM

I highly recommend the UBBT. If you have questions as to whether they will work with a specific mag lock, you might try giving Thordo a PM.

h0use
09-22-2011, 4:07 PM
i like the raddlock!

baja619
06-02-2013, 7:44 PM
I just purchased the Gen-X Device from the Sports Fair at Mikes Raaghue Shooting Range.

I come home to find my Delton-AR is not equipped with a screw pin inside the bullet button. There is a solid pin with no slot for tool or screw driver.

Do you have a recommendation for Gen-x Raddlock installation on my setup?

Thanks

mjmagee67
06-03-2013, 6:30 AM
The Raddlock is errrr well RAD. Great for 3-Gun comps!

milw50717
06-03-2013, 7:59 AM
+1 for Raddlocks.

baja619
06-03-2013, 4:19 PM
I got the Raddlock but I have not been able to install it.

My Delton-AR is not equipped with a screw pin inside the bullet button. There is a solid pin with no slot for tool or screw driver.

Donk310
06-03-2013, 5:41 PM
I got the Raddlock but I have not been able to install it.

My Delton-AR is not equipped with a screw pin inside the bullet button. There is a solid pin with no slot for tool or screw driver.

Post pic.

hoarder
06-03-2013, 6:20 PM
Have vamfire. Works good.

TROJAN
06-03-2013, 6:26 PM
Here's my favorite "mag lock device":
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=187300

HK Dave
06-03-2013, 6:30 PM
I just purchased the Gen-X Device from the Sports Fair at Mikes Raaghue Shooting Range.

I come home to find my Delton-AR is not equipped with a screw pin inside the bullet button. There is a solid pin with no slot for tool or screw driver.

Thanks

Way to bring back a 2 year old thread. ;)

baja619
06-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Sorry, i thought it would be better than starting a new thread to post a question that may be easily answered.

baja619
06-04-2013, 2:50 PM
Any tips on how to install a Raddlock on this setup would be appreciated.

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp125/actionpacer_photo/manderson/photo1_zpsca67a86f.jpg

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp125/actionpacer_photo/manderson/photo2_zpsbc6ef61c.jpg

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp125/actionpacer_photo/manderson/photo3_zps38049b9e.jpg

jdmstuff
06-04-2013, 5:10 PM
The sleeve inside your bullet button is plastic. You will have to basically destroy it during removal. I have the same lower and picked at it with a small screwdriver while trying to turn it counter clockwise. It is threaded onto a standard mag release. Once you get it off, just install the Raddlock as per the instructions.

mikeinla
06-04-2013, 9:11 PM
The Vamfire MLD is my favorite. I had bad luck with the raddlock

bad luck?????