PDA

View Full Version : Pushing it: Opinions on whether a colt AR-15A3 is illegal

submaniac
09-20-2011, 8:46 PM
I wanted to follow up on this thread:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=479122&page=2

I am doing a new topic because I wanted to do a poll for public opinion.

Pushing the envelope even further, I wanted to know what people's opinions on whether a Colt AR-15A3 (model 6721):

http://www.colt.com/ColtLawEnforcement/Products/ColtTacticalCarbine.aspx

was legal. The receiver is marked "AR-15A3 Tactical Carbine".

It's just an opinion question (not planning to buy). My thought is, the "AR-15" was banned by name. However, "AR-15A3" is not the same name as AR-15, so MY opinion would be legal.

Cokebottle
09-20-2011, 8:52 PM
Colt AR-15 (all)

Banned by name

submaniac
09-20-2011, 8:54 PM
Ok, one more thing. Well, another reason I asked is that there is an AR-15A3 on gunbroker for $799 no reserve: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=252053121 I really don't need to buy anything right now. But for that price, sure is tempting.

Anyone want to be the "test case" (I don't want to be.)

tuna quesadilla
09-20-2011, 9:12 PM
Colt AR-15 (all)

Banned by name

Bold, red, enlarged, is why it is still illegal.

Cokebottle
09-20-2011, 9:20 PM
Yup...

No room for a test case on this.
There's another thread on the first page covering a "test case" for an AK47.

AR-15A3 is a subset of AR-15(all).

There is no question as to it's illegality.

There ARE off-list Colt lowers.
The problem is, several are cosmetically and functionally identical to the listed lowers. AFAIK, there is ONE off-list Colt lower that actually has the model number on the rollmark... it's one of the M4 LE models.

Noah3683
09-20-2011, 9:27 PM
I'm just curious which pinheads voted it was legal :confused:

Cokebottle
09-20-2011, 9:29 PM
Either the DOJ trolls, or the :TFH: "all laws are unconstitutional" crowd.

GrayWolf09
09-20-2011, 9:53 PM
I'm just curious which pinheads voted it was legal :confused:

Your problem is you are trying to make sense of California's gun laws. They make no sense whatsoever. You cannot buy a piece of machinery marked Colt AR-15 because it is illegal but you can buy the exact same piece of machinery marked with Enid's Storm Door Company and AR-15 fab. :mad:

Noah3683
09-20-2011, 9:58 PM
Your problem is you are trying to make sense of California's gun laws. They make no sense whatsoever. You cannot buy a piece of machinery marked Colt AR-15 because it is illegal but you can buy the exact same piece of machinery marked with Enid's Storm Door Company and AR-15 fab. :mad:I'm not trying to make sense of anything. I am well aware of California's ridiculous senseless laws. However there are a few people that voted the lower to be completely legal. I was asking who they were, so I never find myself out shooting with them. While the law is stupid, it is still the law and ignorance for it leads to trouble. I tend to keep myself away from those folk if you know what I mean