PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 info help!

Bigtwin
09-20-2011, 7:20 PM
I just recieved a Remington 700 7mm mag. from my father and it was my grandfathers before that.
From what I have found it is a Dec. 1966 build(according to remingtonsocietydotcom site). It also states on the barrel stainless steel. The rifle has iron sites as well as a scope mount with a Redfield 3x9 scope on it. I think a 24" barrel. I may have to double check that. Also a wood stock with a 1/2" recoil pad.

I think it is an ADL, from what I have found the ADL's do not have a removable floor plate. Is that true? If not how do I know?

Also is the 7mm mag a long action or short action? How can I tell or is it the cartrage that says so?

My expierence in rifles has been .22lr (duh dont we all), Kalashnikov type rifles, Mosin Nagants. I know squat about some of the newer bolt actions any help is appriciated.

Edit: yes it is a 24" barrel!

winxp_man
09-20-2011, 9:39 PM
1. Yes its a ADL. BDL rifles have a hinged floor plate.

2. Its a long action (300 RUM, 300 Win Mag, 7 Mag.) . Short actions are .308 Win, 300 WSM, 243 Win, .223 Rem length rifles.

Bigtwin
09-21-2011, 9:08 PM
Thanks for the info.
Now to replace (or fix, if I can) the messed up stiffer than any Mosin trigger on it.

BayouBullets
09-22-2011, 6:02 PM
A Remington 700 should NOT have a trigger like that. You need to disassemble and CLEAN before running any more rounds through it. Dirt, rust, or a combination is the most likely culprit. Don't be afraid to use plenty of solvent and a brass brush on it. Also, Do not try to adjust the trigger if you aren't trained on the model 700. There are two screws that CAN adjust the trigger. Only ONE is meant to be moved once it leaves the factory. The other was just a simple way to "fit" the trigger at the factory. Adjusting that one is a big no-no since you are effectively changing the angle of sear engagement instead of the pull weight. Can you say accidental discharge due to unauthorized modification of the firearm? Trust me. Not a phrase you ever want to be forced to admit to.

Bigtwin
09-22-2011, 6:25 PM
A Remington 700 should NOT have a trigger like that. You need to disassemble and CLEAN before running any more rounds through it. Dirt, rust, or a combination is the most likely culprit. Don't be afraid to use plenty of solvent and a brass brush on it. Also, Do not try to adjust the trigger if you aren't trained on the model 700. There are two screws that CAN adjust the trigger. Only ONE is meant to be moved once it leaves the factory. The other was just a simple way to "fit" the trigger at the factory. Adjusting that one is a big no-no since you are effectively changing the angle of sear engagement instead of the pull weight. Can you say accidental discharge due to unauthorized modification of the firearm? Trust me. Not a phrase you ever want to be forced to admit to.

I really thank you for the info(hope it helps others too), I already know that part as my rifle WOULD fire upon closing the bolt! Not sure who messed with it(could have been my grandfather), but had I closed the bolt on a loaded round...bad would have been the next thing!
Glad I tried to check function first, as I always do for a used rifle.
After tearing it down the trigger has a bunch of rust. I am thinking replacement will be easier than trying to clean and adjust the one on this rifle.

Strange thing is the rest of this rifle is clean and beautiful, no rust any where else.

winxp_man
09-22-2011, 7:18 PM
Take apart videos that I made might be of some help :D

here is the first part.

http://youtu.be/BbZ3AKgi0bc

Here is the second part.

http://youtu.be/qwo0iqVDuI0