PDA

View Full Version : Range Trip Opinions?

Chuck67
09-20-2011, 7:22 PM
Does it make you feel good when you go to the range with $400-$600 Glock,XD,SR9,etc.. and your shooting way smaller groups then the guys with their $900+ 1911,sig,Hk,etc..? Or am I the only loser that does this?

kTC xDEICIDEx
09-20-2011, 8:15 PM
Not really it just makes me feel that I'm having a good day at the range. 

AeroEngi
09-20-2011, 8:34 PM
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g416/AeroEngi/trp.jpg

Josh3239
09-20-2011, 8:34 PM
It's the artist, not the brush.

Ubermcoupe
09-20-2011, 8:36 PM
Like KTC said, I am just happy when I can pull it off. :)

When it comes to the measuring contest, I always come up short if you know what I mean.

Chuck67
09-20-2011, 8:42 PM
Excuse me I meant to say does it make you happy that you didn't buy a very expensive pistol, especially if it was your first purchase. I know some folks think expensive prices = more accurate pistols.

JeremyS
09-20-2011, 8:50 PM
Excuse me I meant to say does it make you happy that you didn't buy a very expensive pistol...
Well... no.

I'm glad that my decently-priced ($578 CZ SP-01, plus $100 in trigger work) pistol is more than capable of holding its own against most anything on the market. But, if I had the money to spend, I would have gotten something(s) nicer :p... or at least the nicest available version of this gun.

Revoman
09-20-2011, 8:53 PM
Then again some folks like to buy something that will last a lifetime without replacement every few years. Sometimes that may cost a few bucks more.

Is there anything wrong with a less expensive firearm? No, I prefer to spend my money on what I think is the best value, not necessarily the highest price. But if the best value turns out to be something more expensive, I may still buy that depending on how much I plan on shooting it.

Nothing against "$400-$600 Glock,XD,SR9,etc" they work and they work well for some peeps, I just am not one of those peeps....yet....it's never out of the question though. Some folks can shoot better with a slingshot than some with an expensive firearm, that's okay. I shoot within myself and am happy with what I have and how well I shoot with them.

zfields
09-20-2011, 8:55 PM
Then again some folks like to buy something that will last a lifetime without replacement every few years. Sometimes that may cost a few bucks more.

Is there anything wrong with a less expensive firearm? No, I prefer to spend my money on what I think is the best value, not necessarily the highest price. But if the best value turns out to be something more expensive, I may still buy that depending on how much I plan on shooting it.

Nothing against "$400-$600 Glock,XD,SR9,etc" they work and they work well for some peeps, I just am not one of those peeps....yet....it's never out of the question though. Some folks can shoot better with a slingshot than some with an expensive firearm, that's okay. I shoot within myself and am happy with what I have and how well I shoot with them.

I dont see people replacing glocks/Xds every couple of years.

If anything, its the 1911s replacing every other part but the slide and frame every few years : ) (or at least the springs every 5k rounds or so)

Cruznegao
09-20-2011, 8:57 PM
I have a $220 (Big 5 special) Mossberg 500 and went trap shooting last weekend. It was my 6th time and I was shooting 21 out of the 25. There was a couple guys with $2000 guns shooting next to me that have been shooting for more than 5 years and they were shooting 23. I felt pretty good.

Chuck67
09-20-2011, 9:07 PM
I have a $220 (Big 5 special) Mossberg 500 and went trap shooting last weekend. It was my 6th time and I was shooting 21 out of the 25. There was a couple guys with $2000 guns shooting next to me that have been shooting for more than 5 years and they were shooting 23. I felt pretty good.

Thats awesome. You should of asked them if they would of liked to trade lol

HKMadness
09-20-2011, 11:03 PM

:iagree:

most modern handguns are "accurate", unless defective. As long as the production and qc is good, its all about the shooter. While there may be measurable (but minute) differences in "accuracy" between those guns, the extra money paid is not necessarily intended to improve accuracy. Dont fall into the fallacy of thinking the guys you see shooting bigger groups with high end guns have the same skill level as you. I was at the range today and this kid probably about 21 had a bad***** kimber 1911 in 9mm, but he was all over the place. Obviously a beginner, everyone starts somewhere. You cant buy skill, you can only buy ammo to practice with to improve your skill, dropping big cheese on a gun isnt gonna make you Frederich Zohler.

Massan
09-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Does it make you feel good when you go to the range with $900+ 1911,sig,Hk,etc.. and your shooting way smaller groups then the guys with their $400-$600 Glock,XD,SR9,etc..? Or am I the only loser that does this?

Yes it does.

I get the feeling this is a vague "cheaper guns are equal/better than those expensive high end guns" thread.

c-wick
09-20-2011, 11:12 PM
I still believe in "it's the indian not the arrow" rule of thumb

CK_32
09-20-2011, 11:16 PM
Not really. I usually just do my thing and leave. I don't bother looking at other peoples targets.

I just try to beat my groups from my last outing. That's what makes me happy :D

Sucks cause now I have to shoot smaller than a nickel @ 10 to 15 yards with my 17 :(

bsg
09-20-2011, 11:18 PM
with Gaston Glock's recent marriage... the new Mrs. Glock may be whispering in his ear to "raise the prices."

JanG
09-21-2011, 3:02 AM
i usually walk over and see what they're shooting, and offer help if they want it. i'm not that good a shot but i get by on my own. and i had some useful advise when i was starting out so i try to pass it on whenever i can. nothing discourages a novice shooter more than seeing your shots all over the paper. if they're not having fun, we could lose another enthusiast.

Voo
09-21-2011, 6:37 AM
You do your thing.. I do my thing.. Beyond that, it's sort of moot.

Dark Mod
09-21-2011, 9:05 AM
Yes i kinda do, but then theres the old man with a .44 magnum at the far end hitting bullseyes off-hand from 25 yards and im once again humbled

esartori
09-21-2011, 9:25 AM
I remember seeing one guy split playing cards (sticking out sideways) with a .22 ruger. I don't think price matters. Its the shooter. More expensive gun means nothing.

Sanman023
09-21-2011, 9:36 AM
agreed that more expensive gun means nothing at the range.....but when im at home stripping it to clean...i like the feel, quality and craftsmanship that went into the expensive gun...only my opinion....

Chuck67
09-21-2011, 10:16 AM
with Gaston Glock's recent marriage... the new Mrs. Glock may be whispering in his ear to "raise the prices."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/rocafella1524/Gaston-Glock-And-Wife.jpg

chrisf
09-21-2011, 4:26 PM
I feel like that when I go to the range with my budget ar-15 build (about $450) and I'm shooting tighter groups then those with expensive *** scopes and bragging about how expensive there ar-15 is, while I'm shooting better with a cheap rifle and a cheap walmart sight.

stormvet
09-21-2011, 4:49 PM
If your groups are that tight your not training hard enough. If my shooting consisted of standing still and shooting at a stationary target over and over again my groups would be freaken HUGE, cause I would be bored to tears.

Besides a higher tier gun really only benefits a higher tier shooter not the novice.

sevensix2x51
09-21-2011, 5:02 PM
I personally would feel pretty darn shallow if I had to justify my abilities by thinking to myself that I am better than the next guy. Doubly so if I were making threads about it for the whole world to read. I just like to enjoy myself, and punch pretty holes in the paper.

But that is just me, pay no attention to the man behind the internet curtain...

CessnaDriver
09-21-2011, 5:09 PM
Humility will find everyone sooner or later at the range.

ZX-10R
09-21-2011, 5:55 PM
Does it make you feel good when you go to the range with $400-$600 Glock,XD,SR9,etc.. and your shooting way smaller groups then the guys with their $900+ 1911,sig,Hk,etc..? Or am I the only loser that does this?

I feel better when I am the only non Glock guy and my guns are stock and I am terrible (except rifles) with handguns and shoot similar to people and their tricked out handguns and glocks. However, if someone asks to shoot my gun I always allow people to try something better than a glock.;)

The Virus
09-21-2011, 6:23 PM
It makes me feel good when Im shooting a pistol match and the guy with the $3k 1911 keeps have gun failures and my $600 M&p keeps on going and going

InGrAM
09-21-2011, 6:25 PM

You are the only loser that does this. Lol, But everyone is different.

masayako
09-21-2011, 7:22 PM
I like to buy the best guns I can comfortably afford. If you can afford $500 gun and shoot well, all the best to you. You buy what you want, we buy what we want. Just because you can shoot well with a $500 gun doesn't mean people buying >$500 guns are stupid.

If I can shoot better than you with a $200 gun, does it make you a dumb *** buying $500 gun to begin with? of course not.

shooterdude
09-21-2011, 7:32 PM
Well... no.

I'm glad that my decently-priced ($578 CZ SP-01, plus $100 in trigger work) pistol is more than capable of holding its own against most anything on the market. But, if I had the money to spend, I would have gotten something(s) nicer :p... or at least the nicest available version of this gun.

Nothing and I literally mean NOTHING out shoots my SP-01(with a trigger job). I have let those guys with the $3000 1911's try it and they say "WOW" every time.

I can hit a 12" steel plate at 75 yards 90% of the time with that gun. Beyond the tool it is really about how you use it.

Stkx66
09-21-2011, 8:11 PM
Nope. I shoot what ever suits me the day I go to the range. Plastic or Metal and usually a 9mm in combination with what ever other pistol I chose to shoot that day.

Fishslayer
09-21-2011, 8:41 PM
If somebody's shooting cloverleafs at 25 yards I'll probably watch & see if I can pick something up. If I have questions those types are usually pretty good about answering 'em.

If she's hot, I'll watch her shoot just because...:cool:

If it's a crap laden tacticool AR I'll watch because those guys have a real tendancy to be untrained & unsafe. If they seem to know what they're doing I usually alternate loading & shooting anyway. Shooting next to a short barrelled bullet hose brings teh suck.

But as for comparing wieners, no... not really.

billybob_jcv
09-21-2011, 9:25 PM
If I could do it, I might - but usually I'm just trying not to embarrass myself. I'm the guy at the other end of the range with the cheap gun that is trying to make sure he hits his own target... http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8f/Smiley_blind.gif

davbog44
09-22-2011, 3:38 AM
I would hope that there aren't too many people who buy a more expensive gun because they think it will make them shoot better, or a less expensive one because they are trying to cut cost corners on something that might be needed for the protection of their home and family.

There will always be people who can out shoot me regardless of the firearm, and those whom I can out shoot. When possible, I like to learn from those who are better, and pass on what I learn to those who aren't.

The SoCal Gunner
09-22-2011, 4:55 AM
You can feel good, I'd feel good too if I was shooting pretty darned good but you might want to consider that the Glocks and XDs are at home that day because I'm bringing out my HKs and 1911s for practice.

Practice makes betters and I do enjoy variety and quality craftsmanship which some higher dollar pieces possess.

CK_32
09-22-2011, 8:28 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/rocafella1524/Gaston-Glock-And-Wife.jpg

STFU! That's not eally him and his wife is it? :shock:

BamBam-31
09-22-2011, 10:57 AM
^^^It is.

As for how the other guy is shooting, keep in mind most guns are far, far more accurate than their owners/operators. A stock Glock can get hits on 100 yd. steel with ease in the right hands; in the wrong hands, a full-blown custom 1911 can't hit the broadside of a barn.

As Voo is fond of saying, it is more the Indian than the arrow. :)

Paradiddle
09-22-2011, 11:21 AM

This.

What makes me feel good is shooting better then I did the last time.

Fishslayer
09-22-2011, 12:01 PM
STFU! That's not eally him and his wife is it? :shock:

^^^It is.

Man, those are some cold eyes. That gal is all business.

When he croaks the Anna Nicole Smith fracas is gonna look like Romper Room.

Way ta go, tho! It's GOOD to be the king. :D

zfields
09-22-2011, 12:13 PM
Hes lived a long life, made some money doing it. Might as well enjoy his last few years with some of the finest money can buy.

Fishslayer
09-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Hes lived a long life, made some money doing it. Might as well enjoy his last few years with some of the finest money can buy.

Is it just me or does he look like he's struggling to keep the **** eatin' grin off his face? :D

zfields
09-22-2011, 12:32 PM
agreed.

jessegpresley
09-22-2011, 7:10 PM

Some insecure people out there. I'm just happy to be at the range. The only person I'm competing with is myself. A guy shooting aluminum cased ammo out of his Glock in the lane next to me liked my Nighthawk Custom. He put 5 bullets in 1 hole with my gun; much better than me. It's the samurai, not the sword.

Fishslayer
09-22-2011, 9:33 PM
A guy shooting aluminum cased ammo out of his Glock in the lane next to me liked my Nighthawk Custom. He put 5 bullets in 1 hole with my gun; much better than me. It's the samurai, not the sword.

He's used to a Glock. Can you imagine how sweet that Nighthawk trigger felt to him?

locosway
09-22-2011, 9:47 PM
I dont see people replacing glocks/Xds every couple of years.

If anything, its the 1911s replacing every other part but the slide and frame every few years : ) (or at least the springs every 5k rounds or so)

Glock recommends spring replacement at 2500 rounds, FYI.

CSACANNONEER
09-22-2011, 9:50 PM
I prefer taking an old C&R rifle to the range an consistantly hitting steel at 200-400 yards with iron sites and have the guy with the $5000 brand new rig (usually shooting the cheapest ammo he can find) pack up and leave because he can't hit anything and I'm showing him up with a $200 rifle with irons.

That said, I can't shoot my Glock half as well as I can my 1911s.

Chuck67
09-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Some insecure people out there.

Negative, Im just competitive. Thanks for trying to call me out though.

IllTemperedCur
09-23-2011, 3:56 PM
I don't watch other folks' targets except for general range safety. I've got my hands full with trying to get in enough practice to keep my own skills at a minimally adequate level.

Besides, I'm a crusty, antisocial misanthropic curmudgeon. My motto is "Get The Hell Off My Lawn".

And on the Glock marriage front, IIRC they had already been dating for 8 years. Long enough that the Anna Nichole scenario probably doesn't apply.

Moto4Fun
09-23-2011, 8:41 PM
Same concept aplies to riding motorcycles. You get a slight ego boost when you make a sweet pass on some Starbucks poser on his brand new Ducati when you're on your clapped out Honda Interceptor. But you know, its really only worth it if you know the guy's a dipstick. Otherwise you're the dipstick.

This thread is so full of FAIL its entertaining.

Press Check
09-23-2011, 8:58 PM

Nope, not really. Don't pay much attention to anyone elses groups, and I suspect that no one is paying attention to mine.

joelogic
09-23-2011, 10:38 PM
I could care less what people shoot but it does make me sad when the full size target is covered in holes at 7 yards.

People buy the best because they think they need it or it will make them better. Truth is practice makes you better.

audiopro74
09-23-2011, 11:26 PM
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g416/AeroEngi/trp.jpg

Love it!!!!! High tech combat tupperware!!!!! was the expression I remember from my youth.

Smokey0
09-24-2011, 1:32 PM
Like others have said, I do my own thing and let others do their own... unless the others are acting like fools and putting me in danger. Some are better than me and some are worse.

It makes me feel good when I shoot well with any gun... BUT I do like the feeling of shooting well with a very nice pistol. Sort of like, I will have fun riding an old beat up 250cc bike well... but I will have even more fun with a 600...

Chuck67
09-24-2011, 2:56 PM
Maybe next time ill just stick to the calguns norm and make a thread about 9mm or 45, glock or xd, ak vs ar , rem vs. savage, bacon vs. eggs or even calguns vs. ar15.com. Sorry for breaking the mold. Thanks to those of you who understood what i meant and didn't feel like it was your duty to be an a-hole. To the rest of you guys, kiss my Glock. Have a nice day and remember never look anyone's targets on the range and judge yourself against them because then you my friend will be labeled as INSECURE! :hide:

stormvet
09-24-2011, 3:32 PM
Negative, Im just competitive. Thanks for trying to call me out though.

But its only a competition if the other guy knows he is suppose to be competing with you.

For all you know he could be over there training on instinctive shooting (no sights) or support hand from the hip. Shoot and train on what makes you better not keeping up with the guy in the next stall. Because 9 out of 10 times he could care less what your doing.

sl4ck3r
09-24-2011, 3:39 PM
Maybe next time ill just stick to the calguns norm and make a thread about 9mm or 45, glock or xd, ak vs ar , rem vs. savage, bacon vs. eggs or even calguns vs. ar15.com. Sorry for breaking the mold. Thanks to those of you who understood what i meant and didn't feel like it was your duty to be an a-hole. To the rest of you guys, kiss my Glock. Have a nice day and remember never look anyone's targets on the range and judge yourself against them because then you my friend will be labeled as INSECURE! :hide:

aww guys, you hurt his feelings.

I care what my groups are and enjoy admiring other nice shooters targets. I don't really make a connection between the gun and the groups. If they have a nice gun I will admire it too.

Merc1138
09-24-2011, 3:50 PM
But its only a competition if the other guy knows he is suppose to be competing with you.

For all you know he could be over there training on instinctive shooting (no sights) or support hand from the hip. Shoot and train on what makes you better not keeping up with the guy in the next stall. Because 9 out of 10 times he could care less what your doing.

Exactly, if you're worrying about the random guy in the lane next to you, you've got some problems with insecurity(unless it's because the other guy is being unsafe or something).

That other guy you're outshooting could be practicing right handed if he's a lefty(or vice versa), new sights, changing his grip, hell he might even be using new glasses. Unless you're in a competition, no one is competing with you. This nonsense reminds me of a guy I know who drives a VW GTI and swears he "beats" other drivers in mustangs, vettes, porsches, etc all the time. One day I saw him "beat" someone in another much better car, he starts bragging about it until I pointed out that the other guy never bothered to shift out of third and obviously wasn't attempting to race anyone down a city street.

Chuck67
09-24-2011, 4:24 PM
:beatdeadhorse5:

gorenut
09-24-2011, 4:30 PM
I really don't care what other people are shooting as long as its not me... but it definitely didn't initially make me feel good when I was shooting far cheaper tupperware guns better than my expensive Sigs and H&Ks. Obviously not blaming the guns, but the cheaper ones were just more compatible for me and I ended up selling the expensive ones.

junkit_boy
09-24-2011, 6:41 PM
what is this? A schoolyard urinal question???

Bryansix
09-25-2011, 11:11 AM
Nope, not really. Don't pay much attention to anyone elses groups, and I suspect that no one is paying attention to mine.

Really? How? At the range I shoot at its impossible not to notice them. Shoot if I put my target at 7 yard and the guy next to me at 25 and I miss wide I might end up hitting his target. Not that I've done that but just sayin'

negolien
09-25-2011, 12:06 PM
I go to have fun not be a douche bag /shrug but thats's just me :p

Vacaville
09-25-2011, 12:10 PM
I chalk my smaller groups up to my skill, not the quality of the gun. :)

proclone1
09-25-2011, 12:22 PM

^^^ I definitely agree with this. If I'm really into a hobby, I just feel like putting more $$$ into it, and want to spend once, then not have to upgrade. Or rather, do my best to find out what *I* want from a system, figure out if the $$'s worth it to me, then do it. I did it with my road bicycle (certainly not the best or most expensive, it's heavy in comparison to other stuff out there, but it brings me fitness which is all I want/need.. road cyclists out there can really queer out with their gear and become obsessed with spending hundreds of dollars to shave off 20grams of weight from their bike) and I sort of do it with my guns.

For a pistol I chose a relatively cheap $500 Glock G19 because it's darn near universal, extremely easy to use, and just might last a century.

On the other hand, I really like militaristic futurish rifles with tons of features, always have, and so against the advice of 98% of the internet went and splurged on a bushmaster ACR. I haven't had a chance to shoot more than a couple hundred rounds yet and had some FTFeed issues (typical experience for an ACR's first time out, or so I've read) so honestly I trust *YOUR* $700 AR15 a lot more than my ACR at the moment (and I've no doubt you could probably shoot smaller groups with your AR15 than I could with my ACR, at least for now ;)

At the same time, I still like my ACR the best because it's mine, I bought it with my hard-earned dough, and it does exactly what I bought it to do, bring a smile to my ugly-mug.

TreeHugger
09-26-2011, 1:47 PM
When I go to a public restroom to take a leak, I don't look at other the guy's pee pee who is next to me, to see who's dong is longer. I'm just there to do my thing, and my thing only.

Chuck67
09-26-2011, 2:10 PM
When I go to a public restroom to take a leak, I don't look at other the guy's pee pee who is next to me, to see who's dong is longer. I'm just there to do my thing, and my thing only.

:thumbsup:

duster1974
09-26-2011, 2:21 PM
:iagree:
... Frederich Zohler.

Love to see a nice Inglourious Basterds reference in a Calguns post. Nicely done.

Hopalong
09-27-2011, 6:41 AM

So true.

I can appreciate a nice gun

And I can appreciate a guy who is a good shot.

They don't necessarily have to go together