PDA

View Full Version : Mosin Nagant rifles - where to buy in LA?

Agent Akin
09-20-2011, 3:51 PM
Greetings all!

So, I'm thinking of jumping into the whole Imperial Russian battle rifle thing, and I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere in the Los Angeles area where I could go down and fondle one before buying? Hell, I may buy a couple, if I can find nice ones...

Since these are so old, am I correct in my belief that there's no waiting period, also?

Thanks!

leman77
09-20-2011, 4:46 PM
Turner's outdoorsman had them for 99 bucks a couple weeks ago. Big 5 has them on ad every few weeks. Or get an 03 c&r ffl and buy em mail order. Good luck!

Agent Akin
09-20-2011, 7:40 PM
Turner's outdoorsman had them for 99 bucks a couple weeks ago. Big 5 has them on ad every few weeks. Or get an 03 c&r ffl and buy em mail order. Good luck!

I'm assuming an "03" is a Springfield '03? What is a "c&r ffl", and how would I buy it mail order?

Oh, also, do they cost $80 via this method? The cheapest I've ever seen a Springfield for was like $500, and it was in pretty sad shape...

leman77
09-20-2011, 8:10 PM
The 03 is a federal firearms license issued by the ATF for collecting curio and relic firearms 'over 50 years old'. You have to mail an application to them, and it costs 30 bucks for a 3 year license. Once you get that, you can mail order purchase rifles 'over 50 years old' and have them shipped to your home. Pending legislation may mess all that up here in california. If you weren't really gonna buy a bunch of stuff, just get a mosin from big 5 or turners, or even in the for sale section here on the site. Hope that helps, and good luck!

Agent Akin
09-20-2011, 8:13 PM
The 03 is a federal firearms license issued by the ATF for collecting curio and relic firearms 'over 50 years old'. You have to mail an application to them, and it costs 30 bucks for a 3 year license. Once you get that, you can mail order purchase rifles 'over 50 years old' and have them shipped to your home. Pending legislation may mess all that up here in california. If you weren't really gonna buy a bunch of stuff, just get a mosin from big 5 or turners, or even in the for sale section here on the site. Hope that helps, and good luck!

Ahhh, okay...

I'm not likely to buy more than one or two, so I don't know if it'd be worth the effort.

Thanks though!

Agent Akin
10-29-2011, 12:08 AM
Big 5 has them on sale for $109... anyone know if that's about average these days? I've not seen any for less since I started looking... not sure if I should wait for a gun show or not...

CK_32
10-29-2011, 12:45 AM
Find a big 5 and look for a sale usually around $80 to $99 or find a used one at one of your local shops on the used gun rack for dirt dirt cheap.

CK_32
10-29-2011, 12:46 AM
Big 5 has them on sale for $109... anyone know if that's about average these days? I've not seen any for less since I started looking... not sure if I should wait for a gun show or not...

I'd bet good money you will see plenty at a gun show.

Good price not sure but I always see old woody rifles at fun shows.

chrisf
10-29-2011, 12:52 AM
Big 5. But my local big 5 sales them for $200 believe it or not. So I said "what the sam hell" and left. Or you could buy one online for about $80 and have it drosd at big 5 for $20.

Chaos47
10-29-2011, 1:41 AM
Since these are so old, am I correct in my belief that there's no waiting period, also?

Yes and No.

If you buy it from a store you will have do a DROS

If you get your 03 CR then there is no DROS when mail ordered (If you buy it at a in state store there is)

If the rifle is over 50 years old and you buy it face to face private party then there is no need to do a PPT or DROS and you can cash and carry

Don't you love California and its crystal clear laws?!

About the rifles: http://7.62x54r.net/
Here are some models you should learn about:
91/30 (Most common one you will see)
M38 (Carbine no bayonet)
M44 (Carbine w/ attached bayonet)
Finnish M39 (Considered some of the best quality and shooting)

Eljay
10-29-2011, 5:12 PM
There's usually a couple for sale here in the forums.

zfields
10-29-2011, 5:18 PM
Big 5. But my local big 5 sales them for $200 believe it or not. So I said "what the sam hell" and left. Or you could buy one online for about $80 and have it drosd at big 5 for $20.

Big 5 wont accept out of state transfers, only PPTs. at least thats what they have always done when I asked.

infamous1979
10-29-2011, 6:06 PM
Big 5

nm84
11-03-2011, 12:26 PM
There's a show in Glendale that's scheduled for November 19th, and 20th. The different vendors usually have a good a selection of M91's, M44's, etc, along with 7.62x54 ammo pouches, and stripper clips. Regarding the prices, once you factor in shipping and insurance costs, they are comparable to ones you can find online. Another advantage when going to a show is you get to physicaly inspect the rifle prior to purchase. If you live in metropolitan L.A., it's hard if not imposible to have even ammo shipped directly to your door.