PDA

View Full Version : AR Rifle Lower/Pistol Conversion

Infantry H2
09-20-2011, 4:47 PM
I have a Spike's Tactical AR Rifle with 16" Upper. I want to buy a 10.5 Lower and slap it on the Spike's Lower and pull off the buttstock. Is that legal?

I also have a Spikes stripped lower, can I register it as a pistol and throw a buttstock and the 16" to make it a rifle?

djleisure
09-20-2011, 4:53 PM
I have a Spike's Tactical AR Rifle with 16" Upper. I want to buy a 10.5 Lower and slap it on the Spike's Lower and pull off the buttstock. Is that legal?

I also have a Spikes stripped lower, can I register it as a pistol and throw a buttstock and the 16" to make it a rifle?
Nope! Can't do that. You need to have a registered AR pistol lower. It can never have been made into a rifle and needs be a "clean" AR pistol-specific lower. If you are LEO you can get one, no problem. If you are not (like most) then you either need to buy a complete, single-shot exempt AR pistol OR luck out and find someone that will PPT an AR pistol lower to you.

If any of that doesn't make sense, please use the search for clarity - all the information you need has already been answered many times.

ETA: Also - do NOT buy a 10.5" upper (or ANY upper that is <16") without FIRST owning the AR pistol lower. You will be in constructive possession of an SBR and that's not good!

Infantry H2
09-20-2011, 5:52 PM
This state is retarded. Im from here too. I just moved back from Colorado a year ago and all these laws here suck. Being military I dont see why these laws are in effect. I see people kill themselves with stupidity all the time. whats so dangerous with inanimate objects.

ke6guj
09-20-2011, 5:59 PM
I have a Spike's Tactical AR Rifle with 16" Upper. I want to buy a 10.5 Lower and slap it on the Spike's Lower and pull off the buttstock. Is that legal?nope. FEderal and CA SBR violations.

I also have a Spikes stripped lower, can I register it as a pistol and throw a buttstock and the 16" to make it a rifle?depending on where/when/how you bought the stripped lower, yo might be able to legally build it up as a pistol. Keept this one a pistol and keep the existing rifle as a rifle.

This state is retarded. Im from here too. I just moved back from Colorado a year ago and all these laws here suck. Being military I dont see why these laws are in effect. I see people kill themselves with stupidity all the time. whats so dangerous with inanimate objects.
It would not just be CA laws that you would be violating. It would be federal SBR laws that you would be violating. You wouldn't even be able to do this in CO unless you got permission from the feds to make an SBR.

Quiet
09-20-2011, 6:17 PM

FEDERAL LAWS also prohibit want you want to do and those laws have been in effect since 1934.

Warbirds215
09-20-2011, 6:25 PM
I'm looking to do a 10.5 pistol as well. Is there any place around that will sell me a pistol lower? If you don't know, where do you think I should ask??

Quiet
09-20-2011, 6:30 PM
I'm looking to do a 10.5 pistol as well. Is there any place around that will sell me a pistol lower? If you don't know, where do you think I should ask??

Since there are no AR15 type pistols on the CA DOJ approved list for handgun sales, a reciever can not be DROS'd as a "handgun" to a non-exempt person.

So, unless you are a LEO (law Enforcement Officer) you can not purchase a reciever and have it DROS'd as a "handgun".

djleisure
09-20-2011, 6:44 PM
Quiet pretty much summed it up, but I just want to add that you can't purchase a stripped pistol lower from an FFL, unless you are LEO or otherwise exempt. You CAN purchase a stripped pistol lower from an individual as a PPT. So, you can either buy a complete AR pistol from an FFL that is willing to do the single shot exemption (SSE) OR you can keep your eyes on the "firearms for sale" section here and find someone that is selling their stripped AR pistol lower (that's how I got mine.)

shooter5
09-20-2011, 6:52 PM
Can you not ''Build" a lower.. Like an 80% and do the "pistol" and long as you follow the rest of the rules?

RustyMacHine
09-20-2011, 6:57 PM
Solution:

EBR Works (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=463277)

or

Can you not ''Build" a lower.. Like an 80% and do the "pistol" and long as you follow the rest of the rules?

This^^

wash
09-20-2011, 7:08 PM
Pistol lowers do not need to be registered. Most AR pistols made from 80% paperweights are never registered and that is 100% legal even in CA.

What you need is a Virgin lower which has never had a stock attached to it.

You can get one by two ways, PPT from a law enforcement officer or a new resident who imported it when they moved to California, or building a lower yourself (usually from an 80%).

The other alternative is to buy complete utilizing the dimensionally compliant single shot pistol exemption of the roster of "not unsafe" handguns.

shooter5
09-20-2011, 7:33 PM
If you build it.. you are done!!!

Warbirds215
09-20-2011, 7:52 PM
The EBR works option sounds doable. Are there high quality 10.5's that can be bought in cal?? Complete??

Infantry H2
09-21-2011, 8:03 PM
Pistol lowers do not need to be registered. Most AR pistols made from 80% paperweights are never registered and that is 100% legal even in CA.

What you need is a Virgin lower which has never had a stock attached to it.

You can get one by two ways, PPT from a law enforcement officer or a new resident who imported it when they moved to California, or building a lower yourself (usually from an 80%).

The other alternative is to buy complete utilizing the dimensionally compliant single shot pistol exemption of the roster of "not unsafe" handguns.

Can you elaborate on the bold? I have a spikes stripped lower. Never been touched. Virgin as they come.

wash
09-21-2011, 8:29 PM
If you bought the lower in California, because of the way the DROS software is written, your virgin lower might be tainted.

I can't elaborate on that more than to say that it's CGF's opinion that making a pistol out of a stripped lower bought in California is not a good idea. If you need more than that, read the second amendment forum here.

With a gun that is on the edge of legality like an AR pistol, make sure you do everything right.

What that means is if you can't find a cop to PPT one to you or machine an 80% lower yourself, buy a complete AR pistol and be done with it.

You don't want to get a California SBR charge for trying to save $100.

Infantry H2
09-21-2011, 8:53 PM
Thanks for the follow up.