PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22 fail to feed fail to fire

calou84523
09-20-2011, 2:56 PM
Recently the scope mount on my 10/22 shot loose so when I returned home I cleaned my rifle and I dismounted the scope and mount and use some lock tight on the scope mount screws, put the mount and scope back on my rifle and stored it. The next time I went out shooting I discovered that the bolt was stuck forward and the action was unmovable; I had to step on the bolt handle to even get it to move back half way. Took the gun home, field stripped it and discovered that the mount holes went all the way through the receiver and the loc-tite had seeped into the receiver. I thoroughly cleaned the gun and removed all the loc-tite from the bolt, receiver, the bolt handle/guide rod/recoil assembly, and re lubricated the weapon and put it back together. I took the rifle out, placed a magazine in, retracted the bolt and let it go home . . . . the bolt picked up a round but did not go completely home (the bolt stopped its forward movement about 1/4-inch from the chamber). I cleared the rifle and removed the magazine and manually chambered a round and attempted to fire it . . . it did not fire although I could hear the hammer hit the firing pin. I've replaced the bolt handle/guide rod/recoil assembly thinking I might have bent the original one when I tried to free the bolt but the rifle still refuses to chamber or fire a round. Does anyone have an idea of what is wrong, I'd like to figure this out before I take the gun to a gunsmith . . . . the firing mechanism seems kind of simple but I'll be darned if I can see what is wrong.:confused:

Capt.Dunsel
09-20-2011, 3:14 PM
Had a similar problem with mine. Found the mounting screws were a tad too long putting pressure on the bolt and not letting it go into full battery.

Try backing the screws out a little bit at a time till she works. You might have to file a thread or two off for clearance.

And oil up the bolt before using loctite and it shouldn't lock the bolt up.
You use the oil as a mold release.

Good luck hope it works for you.

calou84523
09-20-2011, 3:25 PM
Thanks capt., I'll give it a try I did tighten the screws down as far as I could!

BayAreaShooter
09-20-2011, 4:08 PM
I don't know why your 10/22 is not going into full battery but I can offer a bit of advice. Before you install your scope base disassemble the gun. When you install your scope base leave the receiver disassembled and let the locktight dry so you can make sure nothing leaks into the receiver. Remember you do not need much locktight at all. A very small drop will work on those screws. You also might have stripped the screw holes on your receiver as the screws are much harder than your aluminum receiver. (don't ask me how I know) :D If you have stripped the screw holes you have a few options that we can discuss if it comes to that. Best of luck to you.

If you cant find the info you need here check out this forum and ask around. You might not get an answer as quick but they know all there is to know about Rugers.

http://rugerforum.net/

calou84523
09-20-2011, 4:10 PM
Thanks I'll try that

BayAreaShooter
09-20-2011, 4:27 PM
I forgot to ask you what kind of Loc-tite you are using.

wamphyri13
09-20-2011, 4:28 PM
More info available at http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/
These guys know all the tricks and tips. And there a great bunch of folk who love to help others.
Ryan

calou84523
09-20-2011, 4:40 PM
Loctite medium strength, it comes in a red plastic dispenser and is blue colour. Like I
said I used it liberally not realizing that the screw holes went all the way through. Another post mentioned that I might have torqued down the screw to far and one or more may be causing the binding . . . thinking about it that sounds plausible. I intend to remove the scope/mount and see how the weapon functions.

Kodachrome
09-22-2011, 6:20 PM
+1 on the above.
Good Luck

ojisan
09-22-2011, 6:32 PM
Yup, you're screwed (until you get them out of the way of the bolt).
:p

audiopro74
09-22-2011, 10:15 PM
There is also the possibility that some of the locktite seeped in between the firing pin, and the slot in the bolt that holds it. Thus freezing the firing pin as tightly as the bolt was in the reciever. While you have it tore down checking the base, check that the firing pin slides smoothly too.

calou84523
09-22-2011, 10:36 PM
I think you are absolutely correct, I discovered that the firing pin was frozen as you described, when I took the bolt apart the firing pin was heavily caked with what I assume was loctite. Interestingly I also found that it was slightly warped. I discovered that if I reassembled the rifle minus the firing pin and worked the bolt manually rounds feed from the magazine correctly and the bolt seemed to function more easily . . . . since I've had so much trouble with this my final solution was to order a complete bolt assembly, I'll post the results when the new bolt arrives, I install it and test the rifle with the new bolt installed. Lesson learned NEVER use loctite anywhere near a weapon!

audiopro74
09-23-2011, 1:44 PM
Glad to be of help. I just figured since the only time I get ftf's in mine is when the bolt starts getting carboned, and thinking of how they are assembled, I just assumed. Do you really think you ned to replace the whole assembly. Seems like you could clean the bolt real good, and just add a pin. Also as I recall mine has a slight "bow" to it also...

JAGACIDA
09-23-2011, 2:18 PM
Most owners manuals state that you should tighten mount bolts slowly, checking at intervals for binding.Always read the instructions. I hope it works out OK.

Lonesome Loser
09-23-2011, 6:46 PM
i had the same problem with mine

Scratch705
09-24-2011, 5:07 AM
Lesson learned NEVER use loctite anywhere near a weapon!

you can, just don't be careless about it. :)

this is why when i used loctite on my screws i had made sure to disassemble the gun and waited till it was dry before re-assembly to make so no loctite went where it wasn't suppose to.

calou84523
09-26-2011, 8:52 AM
I debated buying a new firing pin only and only replacing it but then I thought . .. suppose I damage or lose the rebound spring (it's so damn tiny) or damage the stop pin then I'd have to order another part and experience another delay so I decided for $25 I could buy the whole assembly and eliminate all possible problems.

'bout the loctite . . . . hind sight is 20/20:)