09-20-2011, 12:56 PM
http://m.techcrunch.com/2011/09/20/is-printing-a-gun-the-same-as-buying-a-gun/

No more messy machining

Mr_Monkeywrench
09-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Cant stop innovation and progress. It was a matter of time and it is :cool:

Bhobbs
09-20-2011, 1:09 PM
This is like the 3rd thread on printing receivers today alone.

arsilva32
09-20-2011, 1:15 PM
wait did i miss something here? is this referring to the new 3-D printer i've been hearing about? allot of testing would have to happen before i would call this receiver a success.i wonder if you can use carbonfiber in this printer,i see some potential here.

SanPedroShooter
09-20-2011, 1:19 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=480002

21SF
09-20-2011, 1:31 PM
Those printers have been around a long time.

Homebuilt pulmcrazy, no thanks.

This is crap.....

CHS
09-20-2011, 2:55 PM

This is crap.....

When a lower receiver fails, it's never catastrophically. People have made AR lowers out of wood even. And there have been many on the market made of various polymers, none of which have any major problems.

That's the beautiful thing about the AR lower receiver. It's not a load-bearing part in any way. It's a true receiver in every sense of the word. It simple holds some parts in place so the upper, pressure-bearing part, can do its job.

The worlds crappiest plastic, plaster, or paper AR lower receiver would probably hold up to at least one shot. Sometimes one shot is all you need.

21SF
09-20-2011, 2:57 PM
When a lower receiver fails, it's never catastrophically. People have made AR lowers out of wood even. And there have been many on the market made of various polymers, none of which have any major problems.

That's the beautiful thing about the AR lower receiver. It's not a load-bearing part in any way. It's a true receiver in every sense of the word. It simple holds some parts in place so the upper, pressure-bearing part, can do its job.

The worlds crappiest plastic, plaster, or paper AR lower receiver would probably hold up to at least one shot. Sometimes one shot is all you need.

Oh, no they definitely have purpose to some. For me i rather spend the money instead of a "printer" on a mill. Then have some really nice lowers.

tacticalcity
09-20-2011, 3:01 PM
The plastic the machines use is not very strong. At least not the ones I've been around. Great airsoft toy, but if you are expecting it to be truly safe or even practical you will be disapointed.

My step-father's machine shop had one of these prototype 3D printers. We made all kinds of stuff and he would bring home protypes of stuff all the time. So I do have some experience handling this stuff. It would fail the "stomp on it" test. And if you can't stop on it, I don't want it on my rifle.

Now, it it were an actual machine that mills the metal part...that would be awesome...but VERY expensive.

That said, maybe they have multi-material machines out there that will actually use something strong and durable enough to be on a live fire rifle. But the basic 3D protype machines don't, or at least didn't when I was around them.

These basic machines run about $20K. Not exactly cost effective even if they would be strong enough...which I highly doubt.

xxINKxx
09-20-2011, 3:02 PM

This is crap.....

Lol. I have pics of plumcrazy receivers that cracked open. They even denied the warranty even though they supposedly have an unconditional warranty.

99$ is cheap just go that route for a good lower that should last a lifetime of plinking

jdberger
09-20-2011, 3:09 PM
The question, in short, is at what point is a “part” a weapon? If you buy all of the other pieces in metal – pieces that were made in much the same way this piece was made – are you breaking the law by building your own, final piece. Is this akin to building your own dum-dum bullets or is it more like “unlocking” a deadly weapon with a what amounts to a copied key?

I love the mythological significance given to Dum Dum Bullets. As if they're little tactical nukes, stacked up in "Assault Clips (http://banassaultclips.com/)" ready to be "sprayfired" "from the hip" by pistol grip equipped "bullet hoses (http://www.vpc.org/studies/hosecont.htm)" instead of early variations of the softpoint bullets people have been using to take game with (and use for self-defense) for the last century.

ElvenSoul
09-20-2011, 5:25 PM
This work being done on metal 3D Printers :)

ElvenSoul
09-20-2011, 6:16 PM
I heard metal printers 3 to 5 years away!

Arisaka
09-20-2011, 6:20 PM
lol @ jdberger! I hate these little slang terms that are completely made up or archaic that journalists throw around to act like they are "in the know". Douchebags!

SanPedroShooter
09-20-2011, 6:47 PM
I love the mythological significance given to Dum Dum Bullets. As if they're little tactical nukes, stacked up in "Assault Clips (http://banassaultclips.com/)" ready to be "sprayfired" "from the hip" by pistol grip equipped "bullet hoses (http://www.vpc.org/studies/hosecont.htm)" instead of early variations of the softpoint bullets people have been using to take game with (and use for self-defense) for the last century.

Sorry to change the topic here, but those VPc links are breathtaking in their outrageous hyperbole.... I am almost glad they are on the other side, because their argument is so rediculous.

ElvenSoul
09-20-2011, 6:49 PM
Use the link to thingaverse site where the print file is located...some good comments there.

SanPedroShooter
09-20-2011, 6:58 PM
He he, I couldnt help myself...

Harrison_Bergeron
09-20-2011, 7:12 PM
In case some you haven't seen how awesome these things can be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZboxMsSz5Aw&feature=player_embedded

GettoPhilosopher
09-20-2011, 8:26 PM
lol @ jdberger! I hate these little slang terms that are completely made up or archaic that journalists throw around to act like they are "in the know". Douchebags!

Did you read the descriptions published after Breivik's shooting? First they were dum dum bullets, then they were super accurate bullets with a flat trajectory meaning he could shoot targets at varying ranges without having to stop to adjust his sights!, then they were lightweight bullets that shatter in the body allowing him to do massive damage AND carry much more ammo!.

I mean, seriously. Hollowpoint match grade varminter dum dum rounds?

Tango-Alpha
09-20-2011, 8:35 PM
Yes...it was only a matter of time. I saw a special on one of the cable channels, perhaps Discovery where the reporter brought a Crescent wrench from his garage to a facility and the technician made a 3d copy of that tool. Unbelievable. The implications of this will have serious ramifications on our society in the future. Just bet on it.

killshot44
09-20-2011, 8:35 PM
Wouldn't make a complete Lower out of it (though you can), but I can see using one for small parts (detents, pins, mag followers, magazines, grips, trigger guards).

Once these spread beyond the Makers, they'll become ubiquitous.

Tango-Alpha
09-20-2011, 8:46 PM
Lol. I have pics of plumcrazy receivers that cracked open. They even denied the warranty even though they supposedly have an unconditional warranty.

99$ is cheap just go that route for a good lower that should last a lifetime of plinking

Yeah...I really don't understand the whole appeal with Plum Crazy lowers. First off, they're not really that inexpensive compared to 7075 lowers. PSA and other companies occasionally run deals on their lowers for $50.00 + 60.00 (LPK) = $110.00 So for about the same price as a Plum Crazy lower you can have a much stronger and longer lasting 7075 lower with an LPK. Just doesn't make sense to me.

goodlookin1
09-21-2011, 6:40 AM
Yeah...I really don't understand the whole appeal with Plum Crazy lowers. First off, they're not really that inexpensive compared to 7075 lowers. PSA and other companies occasionally run deals on their lowers for $50.00 + 60.00 (LPK) = $110.00 So for about the same price as a Plum Crazy lower you can have a much stronger and longer lasting 7075 lower with an LPK. Just doesn't make sense to me.

You really must not like Glocks, SCAR's or ACR's then....

I'm no posterboy for polymer in firearms either, but I can definitely see some benefits. Weight and cost being two of them....Plumcrazy is just trying to make a buck by putting the price just below an aluminum cost. I bet they are making good money on their lowers.

ElvenSoul
09-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Forget Plastic...this company does METAL!

Www.exone.com

ElvenSoul
09-21-2011, 11:42 AM
This company does metal too.

http://i.materialise.com/