PDA

View Full Version : Print your own lower

kalieracer
09-20-2011, 10:16 AM
If you have a 3d printer, this might be fun.http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:11669

SanPedroShooter
09-20-2011, 11:47 AM
Dude, I was checking that site out. What a bunch of pussies!. Look at anything gun related and you have a page and half of people wringing their hands and crying about it.

There plastic replica's. And even if they arent, manufacturing a gun is not a crime in most cases. Jeez...

tacticalcity
09-20-2011, 12:01 PM
What does a 3D Prototype Printer cost these days? $20K?

My stepfather owned a machine shop that had a really expensive one. However, he passed away a couple of years ago and the business was sold.

SanPedroShooter
09-20-2011, 12:04 PM
hmxjLpu2BvY

Say goodbye to gun bans.... Obviously the big machines are very expensive, but people can buy one capable of creating small parts. High cap mag bans...?

Working AR mag
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:11636

21SF
09-20-2011, 12:32 PM
Stupid....next.

joshxcuh1
09-20-2011, 12:34 PM
ehhhhhh =\.... maybe i can print a 3D girlfriend...

Cyc Wid It
09-20-2011, 12:50 PM
There were commercially made 3-D printers in a limited run (promotional) that were sold for less than 4 figures.

21SF
09-20-2011, 12:59 PM
I rather buy a mill and make real ones......

Dark Mod
09-20-2011, 1:00 PM
most likely you could only print out a plastic or polymer replica. You would have to make a mould and cast an investment in steel, which would lose about 3% of its overall mass do to the molding and casting process. so theres no way that thing will fit an upper perfectly unless they have enlarged it in the right spots already.

It would be better for them to just sell ready made molds to spec if you wanted to cast your own.

Or you could just buy a milling machine and "print" it out of a block of aluminum, but that wouldnt be printing, it would be milling

kozumasbullitt
09-20-2011, 3:26 PM
most likely you could only print out a plastic or polymer replica. You would have to make a mould and cast an investment in steel, which would lose about 3% of its overall mass do to the molding and casting process. so theres no way that thing will fit an upper perfectly unless they have enlarged it in the right spots already.

It would be better for them to just sell ready made molds to spec if you wanted to cast your own.

Or you could just buy a milling machine and "print" it out of a block of aluminum, but that wouldnt be printing, it would be milling

I know a guy with a 3D printer tha uses little polymer pellets to make things. If you did this with that printer, you could have a Plum crazy style lower and build a pistol on it.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
09-20-2011, 3:46 PM

It is possible to print a metal part. Using a polymer/metal powder matrix, the polymer in the matrix can be replaced with metal in a process not unlike casting, except that the matrix itself is used as the model and molten metal added to displace the polymer; or by laser sintering, where the matrix is a metal powder that is deposited by the printer and then melted by a laser. It'd be easier to make a polymer throwaway magazine IMO.

The only reason I know anything about it is that my son-in-law and daughter have purchased a 3D printer and plan to use it in a prototyping/specialty business. The "specialty" business? Printing edible chocolate items. Chocolate AR mag, anyone? :D

THT
09-20-2011, 5:49 PM

My stepfather owned a machine shop that had a really expensive one. However, he passed away a couple of years ago and the business was sold.

You can buy very nice kits for under a grand now.

LovingTheYear1911
09-20-2011, 5:51 PM

:rofl:

Reductio
09-20-2011, 5:56 PM

What, tired of your 2D ones? ;)

ElvenSoul
09-20-2011, 5:56 PM
I understand metal 3D Printers are on the way...say 3 to 5 years out.

ElvenSoul
09-20-2011, 5:57 PM
Skin and bone 10 to 20years away!

MrExel17
09-20-2011, 6:20 PM
Right...okay...sure!What was that again, somthing about lowers:rolleyes:

Cato
09-20-2011, 7:23 PM
Perhaps this will be the end of overseas manufacturing. We can start making our own products again.

MrPlink
09-20-2011, 8:00 PM
Perhaps this will be the end of overseas manufacturing. We can start making our own products again.

Ho ho ho, you are forgetting, you need to pay the guy who pushes the "go" button.
Still cheaper over seas...

And Id rather have a full on CNC set up :43:

kalieracer
09-20-2011, 8:23 PM
1200 or so

Cokebottle
09-20-2011, 8:55 PM
They're only 2D until he blows them up... but that's a lot of work :D

Inquirer
09-20-2011, 11:56 PM

This is the first time I've laughed out loud at a joke on this forum.

Bravo, sir.

--Inq

MrPlink
09-21-2011, 1:37 AM
They're only 2D until he blows them up... but that's a lot of work :D

that goes both ways... :43: