PDA

View Full Version : HD .22 or.25?

Stoopy
09-20-2011, 4:21 AM
I was wondering what caliber would be better, .22 or .25? I want something cheap and cheap to shoot. Which one has more knock down power? I also want to be able to practice a lot and have something my wife will be able to shoot. Will the .25 be too powerful for her? With the .22 would shot placement be better? How much cheaper is .22 compared to .25. I heard .22 is good because it bounces around inside the body doing more damage, does .25 do that to?

zfields
09-20-2011, 4:22 AM
please tell me this is a joke.

dirtykoala
09-20-2011, 4:28 AM
I was wondering what caliber would be better, .22 or .25? I want something cheap and cheap to shoot. Which one has more knock down power? I also want to be able to practice a lot and have something my wife will be able to shoot. Will the .25 be too powerful for her? With the .22 would shot placement be better? How much cheaper is .22 compared to .25. I heard .22 is good because it bounces around inside the body doing more damage, does .25 do that to?

i dont imagine the .25 being too powerful, but i dont have much experience with it, or with your wife.

.22 can make a great HD round for the reasons you mentioned, its known to do lots of internal damage, and you can take it to the range and get thousands of rounds of practice without breaking the bank.

i have a .45 on my nightstand, but dont get a lot of practice with it. i hav maybe 700-800 rounds down the barrel, and that cost me probably $350 or so, you could shoot the same amount of .22 for about $30, so for your same $350 investment, you would have much much more practice with the .22 and probably be more proficient with that than i am with my .45.

shot placement is key, so caliber isnt really a huge issue.

sorry i cant fully answer your question as my .25 experience is limited. i can offer this though - if youre just using the gun for HD, go with something cheap like a high-point, you really dont need to dish out the big bucks unless you are looking for a competition gun.

Neve
09-20-2011, 4:30 AM
.22 is good for fast follow shots and shot placement but the advantage of the .25 is reloadable because it's center fire.

jshoebot
09-20-2011, 4:31 AM
The .25 shouldn't be too powerful for the wife. You could probably even step up to a 9mm and she would be fine. The damage done from either .22 or .25 is pretty minimal, and not ideal for HD. If those are your only choices though, I'd go with a .25. .22 will be cheaper to shoot, but .25 is a little more powerfull. However, as I said, they're both not really powerful at all.

Zfields, if you have nothing to add, don't post.

zfields
09-20-2011, 4:34 AM
The .25 shouldn't be too powerful for the wife. You could probably even step up to a 9mm and she would be fine. The damage done from either .22 or .25 is pretty minimal, and not ideal for HD. If those are your only choices though, I'd go with a .25. .22 will be cheaper to shoot, but .25 is a little more powerfull. However, as I said, they're both not really powerful at all.

Zfields, if you have nothing to add, don't post.

Living in a free country is awesome.

RollingCode3
09-20-2011, 4:39 AM

Seriously, who told you that? knock down power and 22lr do not belong in the same sentence. In addition, there is no such thing as knock down power.

please tell me this is a joke.

+1

Stoopy
09-20-2011, 4:39 AM
So your saying go cheap on the gun and spend more on ammo? 9mm sounds so much bigger, isnt that what cops use? Not sure about centerfire, and whats the reloading thing about? Thanks for the help.

dirtykoala
09-20-2011, 4:45 AM
So your saying go cheap on the gun and spend more on ammo? 9mm sounds so much bigger, isnt that what cops use? Not sure about centerfire, and whats the reloading thing about? Thanks for the help.

no problem man, we were all new and one point or another.

most definitely go cheap on a HD gun, its more money in your pocket for ammo, or a security system for your home, or w/e. chances of using a HD gun are slim to none, so its pretty pointless to spend a lot of money on one.

a lot of cops use 9mm, but it doesnt have as much knock down power as a .45, and you cant follow up as fast as with a .22, so its something in the middle of the road, but with out the great benefit of either the .22 or the.45.

reloading is making your own bullets, but that can be very dangerous. most people use spent casings to make their bullets with, and you dont know if the casing has been compromised from the stress of firing it before, and it can lead to your gun blowing up. it also voids most warranties.

ever seen a glock that got all messed up from shooting? like a split barrel or the receiver is all shattered and stuff? thats from using a reload.

Stoopy
09-20-2011, 5:05 AM
I was thinking about getting a glock, but now am unsure. Are glocks known to shatter or split?

jshoebot
09-20-2011, 5:07 AM
Glocks don't come in .22 or .25, so you'd have to get a larger caliber.

Stoopy
09-20-2011, 5:08 AM
whats the best caliber they make?

jshoebot
09-20-2011, 5:13 AM
They're all the same, quality wise. You should go rent a few different caliber glocks at a range and see how they feel. Bring the wife too, so she can try different ones and see the biggest caliber she can handle comfortably.

resident-shooter
09-20-2011, 5:34 AM
Knockdown power? I don't know what makes u think that ANY handgun would knock the target off its feet, but none of these two have any "knockdown power". .308 HP or 12 slug have knockdown power that would knock anyone on the ground, but with handguns its subjective and relative.

Oceanbob
09-20-2011, 6:29 AM
I was thinking about getting a glock, but now am unsure. Are glocks known to shatter or split?

LOL..Welcome to Cal Guns my friend..!..

Please IGNORE all the bad information....

1. Of your choices between the .22 and .25 auto, the .22 is the obvious winner. Cheap and fun to shoot. A box of .25 might cost you $18 bucks for 50 rounds. You can get 500 rounds of .22 for that. I would IGNORE all advice to get a .25 auto.

Glocks are safe and reloading is not dangerous. Reloading ammo does take a small investment in equipment and time and it should be something to consider if you are shooting 9, .40 or .45 a lot.

Think about getting a Glock 17 or 19 as your first centerfire weapon. Not much recoil and would be a BETTER CHOICE as a night-stand home defense weapon. My 13 year old daughter shoots her GLOCK 17 every week. No problem learning to shoot this fantastic weapon. 9 is about $11 a box of 50.

2. Since you mentioned your wife will be shooting with you, I would get a Ruger .22

http://www.ruger.com/products/2245/index.html

I would also consider getting a Ruger 10/22 rifle. Very fun to shoot and could also double as a HD bedside weapon if you had an early warning system like a noisy DOG. hehehe

Watch this:

ncqIPpgSy50

If you're ever in Orange County and want some Range time (free) with various platforms, PM me. You can tag along with us to the range at On Target in Laguna Niguel. Getting some safety instruction and hands on experience shooting different guns will give you some clarity on this matter.

Be well
Bob

shadow65
09-20-2011, 7:08 AM
.22LR has more velocity, is less expensive, and offers many options.

compulsivegunbuyer
09-20-2011, 7:19 AM
30 rounds of 22 should take someone down.

Dirtbiker
09-20-2011, 7:21 AM
Agreed .25 auto isn't cheap to shoot, .22lr is.

If you have choosen to purchase your first handgun a .22 makes a lot of sense. Reasonable to buy and inexpensive to train with. For $500 you can have a decent semi auto pistol and 5000 rounds of ammo to practice with.

NapaCountyShooter
09-20-2011, 7:50 AM
Out of .22 or .25, I'd go with a .410 shotgun. Super light on recoil and .410 self defense loads can get it done.

Rivers
09-20-2011, 8:35 AM
If you need the least expensive and most effective between the .22 and .25, go with the .22 cal. There is virtually no recoil, inexpensive to shoot so you can practice a lot, and readily available. A .22 revolver is going to be more reliable than a .22 semi-auto pistol. Sometimes magazine-fed pistols get picky to specific brands of ammo. Revolvers will pretty much eat any popular ammo.

Moving to the more respected personal defense calibers starts with .32 and gets bigger. 9mm is the most likely choice for both cost of ammo and popularity. Recoil is not necessarily bigger caliber=more recoil. Even different types from the same ammo brand will have different recoil, like comparing a target shooting load to a defense load. Target ammo will be softer recoil.

Similarly, not all 9mm pistols will have the same "felt" recoil with the same ammo. Ergonomics make a huge difference so it's important to AVOID the gun salesman and buy from someone who will help you find the gun that's best for you, your hand size and strength. Go where you can shoot a variety of handguns. If you are new to guns, GET QUALIFIED INSTRUCTIONS for both you and your wife. NRA and other organizations offer instructions specifically for women, something that is more effective for them than coed training. After the training, you should be able to go shopping much more comfortably with a much better idea of what you really want. It's very important to get started the right way to avoid the huge amount of misinformation from every expert out there.

robcoe
09-20-2011, 8:38 AM

I seriously hope this is a joke.

If not, if I had to pick between just those 2 get the .22.

otherwise look at a larger gun in .38special or a large frame 9mm.

Mr. Beretta
09-20-2011, 8:46 AM

Mr. Beretta
09-20-2011, 8:46 AM
LOL..Welcome to Cal Guns my friend..!..

Please IGNORE all the bad information....

1. Of your choices between the .22 and .25 auto, the .22 is the obvious winner. Cheap and fun to shoot. A box of .25 might cost you $18 bucks for 50 rounds. You can get 500 rounds of .22 for that. I would IGNORE all advice to get a .25 auto.

Glocks are safe and reloading is not dangerous. Reloading ammo does take a small investment in equipment and time and it should be something to consider if you are shooting 9, .40 or .45 a lot.

Think about getting a Glock 17 or 19 as your first centerfire weapon. Not much recoil and would be a BETTER CHOICE as a night-stand home defense weapon. My 13 year old daughter shoots her GLOCK 17 every week. No problem learning to shoot this fantastic weapon. 9 is about $11 a box of 50.

2. Since you mentioned your wife will be shooting with you, I would get a Ruger .22

http://www.ruger.com/products/2245/index.html

I would also consider getting a Ruger 10/22 rifle. Very fun to shoot and could also double as a HD bedside weapon if you had an early warning system like a noisy DOG. hehehe

Watch this:

ncqIPpgSy50

If you're ever in Orange County and want some Range time (free) with various platforms, PM me. You can tag along with us to the range at On Target in Laguna Niguel. Getting some safety instruction and hands on experience shooting different guns will give you some clarity on this matter.

Be well
Bob

Best part of the vid was Santa shooting the 10 22....LOL

Joewy
09-20-2011, 8:47 AM
I have a Sig mosquito that I take with me all the time. I use 22lr stinger HP in it. A year ago a 170lb wolf tried to eat me and one shot with the stingers killed it almost instantly.

meaty-btz
09-20-2011, 8:54 AM
.22LR of your choices. Any fast body entering the human body causes damage. No pistol round really has a "knock down" or "killing power" to write home about over another, even .22LR. .22LR tends to bounce and spin about once it hits a human body. That little cartridge has been known to cause some pretty bad wounds.

Recoil sensitivity is just that, sensitivity. Just as in the first time riding a horse you use your muscles in new and interesting ways and your body is not accustomed and hence you get quite sore so to with guns and recoil, to a point. As your muscles learn how to properly handle recoil your "noticed" recoil and actual recoil will diminish (actual as in weapon movement as you are better able to control it).

In the long run your arms and even your entire body are a massive shock absorbing platform. You can shoot massively powerful rounds from the right stance without discomfort.

Distro
09-20-2011, 8:56 AM
Wow seems like you got a lot of bites on this one. I would say just go with the .45acp you already reload anyway.

http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=6366074&postcount=40

gorenut
09-20-2011, 8:58 AM
Out of the two, I'd choose .22

More than anything though, it sounds like you can benefit a lot by taking a gun course. It'll help make your decisions and experience whats out there.

Briancnelson
09-20-2011, 9:18 AM
As distro said, well trolled.

davbog44
09-20-2011, 9:35 AM
As a couple of the other respondents have alluded to, not sure if you're serious or pulling our collective leg. But everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I think given the choice between the two, I'd go .22LR over .25ACP.

However, the above advice to take a class is spot on.

Also, IMO, if I were going to stake my life on a .22LR, I would not get a semi-automatic weapon. I have never fired a .22 semi that was trouble free. Even my Ruger 10/22 rifle, one of the most prolific 22's ever sold, will hiccup and have failures to feed more often than I would be comfortable with in a life and death situation.

If you decide to go .25SCP, the little Berettas are about as good as it gets for that caliber.

shinbone
09-20-2011, 9:46 AM
22lr may expand, but 25acp NEVER shrinks.

MASTERLAB
09-20-2011, 10:12 AM
between the two I would go with .22, and reccomed probably get a rugar mk3, but as others have said, try some different weopons out to find the best one to suit your needs

esartori
09-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Id say 22. As mentioned above, I would check out the ruger .22 pistols or even a 10/22. Both should serve your needs well. Maybe move up in caliber if/once you feel comfortable to do so. Get training as well.

Vacaville
09-20-2011, 10:24 AM
I heard .22 is good because it bounces around inside the body doing more damage, does .25 do that to?

Funny, but you've been caught on your B.S. thread.:p

I went back and looked at some of your previous posts and you were talking about reloading some .45 ACP and doing some trigger work on a rifle. Not exactly a noob, are you?

Dannicus
09-20-2011, 10:29 AM
I've never met a .25 that wasn't a jam-o-matic.

Gotta respect the OP for being conservative for a first handgun. For HD, I'm gonna side with those who say 9mm, tho. It's just right for a novice and will do a very respectable amount of damage.

Lead Waster
09-20-2011, 10:30 AM
, but i dont have much experience with it, or with your wife.

I should hope not! Unless you want a .22 between the eyes!

:p

Lead Waster
09-20-2011, 10:39 AM
As distro said, well trolled.

Yes, well trolled indeed. However, it's not a wasted thread if we consider the question seriously and answer it seriously, then someone who might actually want to know this, but are too afraid to ask, will get some useful information.

1nsanity
09-20-2011, 11:18 AM
LOL! Well played OP...

JAGGUY
09-20-2011, 11:19 AM
I've never met a .25 that wasn't a jam-o-matic.

Gotta respect the OP for being conservative for a first handgun. For HD, I'm gonna side with those who say 9mm, tho. It's just right for a novice and will do a very respectable amount of damage.

Not to feed the troll, but I've never met a 25 ACP that jammed. That's the advantage of rimless over rimmed shells.
I have a Raven and a Colt, neither have jammed in over 25 years of shooting.

epcii
09-20-2011, 11:53 AM
Please, do more searching and less asking. You will find more information in less time than you can waiting for responses in this thread.

Press Check
09-20-2011, 12:26 PM
.22 caliber, and I wouldn't skimp on the price of the weapon.

http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/mosquito-reverse-two-tone.aspx

mossy
09-20-2011, 12:27 PM
if this i a joke, well played sir :p if you are actually serious :facepalm: dont use a .22 or .25 yes they will work if you hit a vital area, but you are better off with a 9mm and lots of practice for HD.

Sturnovik
09-20-2011, 12:33 PM

She should be able to handle a 9mm or .38 special. I wouldn't travel down the .22/.25 route.

billybob_jcv
09-20-2011, 12:56 PM
I can't believe the OP managed to get people into a discussion about reloading with someone who claims not to know the difference between a .25 & .22... :spam: