PDA

View Full Version : AR trigger upgrade ?

jeffcroci
09-19-2011, 11:27 PM
I was thinking about putting a fancy trigger in my AR bench gun. Do any if you have any experience with the higher end ones, giselle, timney etc.... Also how about single vs two stage triggers? Keeping in mind that this is a gun that I shoot pretty much exclusively from the bench.
Thanks, Jeff

gunsarefun
09-20-2011, 7:01 AM
I'm pretty happy with my CMMG 2 stage, definite improvement over a standard stock single stage trigger.

steve92407
09-20-2011, 7:21 AM
i have tried them all and my vote is a jewell.

Nathan Krynn
09-20-2011, 7:32 AM
Geisselle here with either the SSA or the SSA/E.

hammerhands32
09-20-2011, 7:33 AM
I haven't tried them all but it was one of the best upgrades I did to my AR and I have put one in every one of my ARs since.

jeffcroci
09-20-2011, 7:41 AM
Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it

verapakill
09-20-2011, 7:47 AM
I asked this same question a while back and found that this was my favorite trigger set up.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ammoland.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/MidwayUSA-Geissele-AR-Trigger.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ammoland.com/2010/12/07/midwayusa-geissele-ar-trigger/&usg=__iyOi9D_55BQ4f5tOiTSteoKhFg4=&h=374&w=450&sz=14&hl=en&start=6&sig2=5Y9BanOynINJKcJQHANBNw&zoom=1&tbnid=rpreCGxHxtzbCM:&tbnh=106&tbnw=127&ei=BKd4TpSPMsyEsgLm55CwDQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3DAR%2Btrigger%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa% 3DN%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7PRFA_en%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1

45DAVID1
09-20-2011, 7:49 AM
Try the Wilson Combat 2 stage triggers... smooth as ice!

Fobjoe
09-20-2011, 7:59 AM
I own Timney, Geissele hi-speed match, and RRA National match. I like them for different reasons. Timney is most like my Tikka bench gun since it has a lighter, shorter and crisper single stage. My Geissele is set really light and I like it for most purposes but I know that there's a bunch out there that aren't fans of the takeup in 2 stage triggers. The RRA is a fixed pull but for an inexpensive 2-stage trigger, I like it over the standard trigger and will upgrade to at least the RRA every time.

I got a BNIB Timney for sale on the forums if you're interested

Speedpower
09-20-2011, 8:09 AM
I'm going for the AR Gold http://www.americantrigger.com/

sonnyt650
09-20-2011, 8:10 AM
I guess it isn't high-end but I like the venerable Bushmaster 2-stage trigger which is an OEM of the Compass Lake trigger. Being able to fine tune the overtravel and 2nd stage trip point made a huge difference for me, not sure what higher cost triggers could add on top of that.

steve92407
09-20-2011, 8:13 AM
i agree the ssae is a great trigger but has o adjustment for sear and trigger weight.op stated this was a primary bench gun.the jewell has aconsiderable advantage with its 2 or 3 pound setting over the ssae measured pull of 4 pounds 7oz in my lwrc lower.

IPSICK
09-20-2011, 8:17 AM
I'm going for the AR Gold http://www.americantrigger.com/

Then you are going for the right one. Way better than any Geissele's I have tried. The only one that seems comparable might be the Wilson Combat TTU 2-stage but that one will have a slightly heavier pull weight.

steve92407
09-20-2011, 8:40 AM
i must correct my self ,i just measured the ssae trigger 3 pounds 7 ounces.

cvx5832
09-20-2011, 9:07 AM
I will second the Wilson Combat TTU triggers. I have both the single stage and two stage and they're both excellent, but I haven't really made up my mind as to which one is better. One thing is for sure, that break is 100% creep-free and breaks like glass.

Single stage has a 4lb break and breaks cleanly with no take-up.

Second stage also has 4lbs, but has a smooth and defined "first stage" that takes up some of the poundage, then becomes like a "normal" trigger (like the one above) but with a reduced poundage. 4 lbs total.

Call your local stores. Some will have that Wilson Combat "sampler" where they have the trigger mounted on a grip. BAGV for example had the 2-stage last I was there. I encourage you to try it because there's no way to tell which one would be right for you, especially for multi-role weapons.

bombadillo
09-20-2011, 9:47 AM
ARgold or Geissele are my favorites. I've used both and either will get you a GREAT trigger. Both are about the same price and can't say one is much better than the other but the ARgold is safer anyway. Take a look at both.

JoeGSX
09-20-2011, 9:59 AM
Love my SSA-E!

IPSICK
09-20-2011, 1:25 PM
ARgold or Geissele are my favorites. I've used both and either will get you a GREAT trigger. Both are about the same price and can't say one is much better than the other but the ARgold is safer anyway. Take a look at both.

Are you talking about the Geissele Hi-Speed? The other Geissele's I've tried don't really come close to the AR Gold in function but unfortunately also in price (AR Gold is pricey).

I have the S3G and have played with an SSA. Neither make me say they are as good as an AR Gold. I have not played with a Geissele Hi-Speed.

motorwerks
09-20-2011, 2:42 PM
Geisselle here with either the SSA or the SSA/E.

I have an SSA-E and LOVE it (over my JP, Rock River, and trigger jobs)! Go 2 stage. I handed my service rifle to a friend with very little AR (this ones wearing a Rock River 2 stage) experience, I explained to him how the 2 stage works and after a shot or two he was banging steel at 300ish yards with open sights. He was pretty damn pleased!

All of this said, I REALLY want to try an AR gold in my .308 pretty bad.

dascoyne
09-20-2011, 3:03 PM
I guess it isn't high-end but I like the venerable Bushmaster 2-stage trigger which is an OEM of the Compass Lake trigger. Being able to fine tune the overtravel and 2nd stage trip point made a huge difference for me, not sure what higher cost triggers could add on top of that.got a 2 stage compass lake trigger ... love it.

AeroEngi
09-20-2011, 3:05 PM
Geissele SSA

\thread

cabinetguy
09-20-2011, 3:18 PM
no experience with argold or the wilson, but geiselee is always good. when you get into the high end triggers, they all work. people love/hate certain aspects, but in reality you cannot go wrong. the only negative I have heard is light strikes on timney for ar pattern.
any upgrade to the stock trigger will be great. here is a non gun example I went through in the past year. Mervyns closed, I bought a set of 600 threads per inch (tpi) sheets. I thought they were great. not too long after my wife bought a set of 600 tpi EGYPTIAN cotton sheets. I cannot tell the difference, but her beautiful self can, and swears by the difference. the new sheets are smooth as silk to me, but so were the others.
with that said, I vote geiselee, I have a ssa-e, but if it was just bench rest, I would go for an adjustable.

jeffcroci
09-22-2011, 12:07 PM
Thanks for all the input it really Helps. What do you guys think about single vs. two stage triggers? Does it really make much difference for the novice (me) shooter?
Thanks, Jeff

jetspeedz
09-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Timney here, i like the single state for bench and tactical just not a big fan of 2 stage. If you are on a budget a Mega Arms is a good setup to get rid of stock trigger creep and helps maintain tension pull. I'll be doing a write-up on it soon so you can get an idea. good luck

SuperSet
09-22-2011, 1:17 PM
I like my JP but the AR Gold setup is pretty insane. I see a new one in the Want Ads for a good price too.

wash
09-22-2011, 1:42 PM
I was at the range a few months ago, shooting my AR with a Chip McCormic single stage drop in trigger.

A friend of mine was there with an AR10 and a two stage trigger (an RRA or something).

Another friend of mine wanted to shoot the AR10 and when he was pulling the trigger, he pulled through the first stage and then stopped, not knowing why the gun didn't fire. My friend explained it to him and he fired off a group of shots.

After that he came over to try my AR, got on target and then started to take up the first stage travel. The gun fires immediately because there is only one stage and very little pre-travel.

We all had a good laugh after that when he got fooled by triggers twice in a row.

I like my single stage because I don't like a long travel but if you don't mind, two stage triggers are fine. I haven't been able to test a lot back to back but all that I have tried are quite a bit better than a standard LPK trigger with a 15 minute trigger job.

captbilly
09-23-2011, 1:33 AM
Let me start by saying that, all things being equal I prefer a single stage trigger, butnfor reasons explained well by both WOP (White Oak Precision) and American Trigger Corp, and Geiselle, you can't have a crisp, light and safe single stage AR trigger. I grew up shooting bolt action rifles in competition, and all of them had great single stage triggers, but none of those rifles designers had to worry about accidentally firing a seco. nd shot. On an autoloader the trigger can not allow an accidental double fire, and that requires a long pull, but a long pull on a single stage gives a sucky feel. With a two stage you can have the safety of a long first stage but the crisp break on the second stage.

I have a Geissele high speed match trigger set at about 3 lbs total. It gives a nice clean break with an easy to feel second stage. I also have a couple of Rock River match triggers and I consider them to be a great bargan. Not as good as a Geissele but a huge upgrade from standard AR at a very good price. I also have a Jard single stage adjustable. It feels nice and light, but itnhas to resort to a lightened hammer spring to function. A light hammer spring gives an even longer locktime to an already very slow AR trigger system, and invites failures to fire. I just ordered an AR Gold for a lr 308 I am building. I will let you know how it works when I get it installed.

audiopro74
09-23-2011, 12:07 PM
I've got a timney, and I love it. Crisp, clean break, with 0 creep.

jetspeedz
10-03-2011, 3:17 PM
Here is the Mega review as promised. Click my signature below