PDA

View Full Version : Calif. Approved Handgun List - What year did it start?

hiyabrad
02-01-2007, 9:16 AM
Can someone tell me what year the "Approved List" requirement started in this state? Thanks,

Stanze
02-01-2007, 9:36 AM

Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement.

bwiese
02-01-2007, 9:38 AM
No, Stanze...

The 'Approved List', certification stuff, etc. began Jan 2001.

Yes, the separate safety device accompanying the gun came about in 2002, but that is separate from the Approved List of Not-Unsafe Handguns.

Stanze
02-01-2007, 9:39 AM
No, Stanze...

The 'Approved List', certification stuff, etc. began Jan 2001.

Yes, the separate safety device accompanying the gun came about in 2002, but that is separate from the Approved List of Not-Unsafe Handguns.

Thanks Bill, I re-read the question and edited with the correct info.

hiyabrad
02-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Thanks!

DrjonesUSA
02-01-2007, 11:26 AM
Who was responsible for creating that requirement?

Was it a legislator, or one of the DOJ thugs who did it by bureaucratic command?

bwiese
02-01-2007, 12:07 PM

Was it a legislator, or one of the DOJ thugs who did it by bureaucratic command?

SB15 was legislation signed in by Gray Davis. It was written/sponsored by Richard Polanco.

For history, you can go to http://www.leginfo.ca.gov, and search for SB15 in the year 2000.

Once 12125-12133PC were in place they got tweaked further a year or so later by Sen. Jack Scott's bill about mag discos, LCIs, etc. (SB489). SB489 was really written by Alison Merrilees, who was working for Scott at the time as a political consultant/staffer, etc.

We may well not have had SB15 pass if the single-action shooters had stayed the course with NRA. But it appears S.A.S.S. split off from NRA and didn't condemn this bill because their treasured single-actions were 'protected species'. Legislators saw a split from NRA and thus thought it was a safe vote since we were supposedly divided. SASS got 'bought off' while other future gunowners got screwed.

And if SB15 hadn't passed, SB489-like legislation would have been much harder to pass (since its just patched in to the Unsafe Handgun laws).

Unity, my brothers...

Jarhead4
02-01-2007, 3:18 PM
Divide and concur. I guess some things havenít changed since the Roman times.

shark92651
02-01-2007, 4:41 PM
Does anyone know if they actually perform all the tests such as firing, safety, drop test, etc... ? I would like to see the requirements if they are public.

donger
02-01-2007, 5:20 PM
Does anyone know if they actually perform all the tests such as firing, safety, drop test, etc... ? I would like to see the requirements if they are public.

I believe the tests are performed by a third party agency.

bwiese
02-01-2007, 5:24 PM
You can dig around the DOJ FD website for handgun testing standards/specs.

The tests are administered by one of a couple of laboratories to these specs.

DOJ may indpendently conduct its own tests to audit the testers and may resample 10% of the guns, IIRC.

Librarian
02-01-2007, 6:19 PM

SB 1500 (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/97-98/bill/sen/sb_1451-1500/sb_1500_bill_19980831_enrolled.html), INTRODUCED BY Senator Polanco and Assembly Member Villaraigosa FEBRUARY 5, 1998, Enrolled August 31, 1998.

They thought it would put the SoCal manufacturers of inexpensive guns - Davis, Bryco, Raven - out of business.