PDA

View Full Version : Transplant from Texas!

TXdoubletap
09-19-2011, 8:42 PM
Hey guys, just thought I would introduce myself. My name is Clint and I am from the great state of Texas.

I moved out here in April of this year, and havent had a chance to shoot yet. I am somewhat ignorant to the gun laws in Cali, so I am here to learn.

I am 33, married, former Texas Police officer, now a novice day trader. I sold all my Evil black rifles before moving here because I was not clear on the laws. Now in the local Big 5 I see them on the rack. Oh well, time for another with the bullet button.

Anyways, enough for now. If anyone knows a place local to Point Loma to shoot, give me a holler.

Clint

shooterfpga
09-19-2011, 8:45 PM
you just shot yourself in the foot, "police officer". jk, welcome aboard. where in texas did you come from? i just moved back to texas a month or so ago. its sad that you sold your rifles, i wish you had seen this website prior to your move. it would have saved you a lot of headaches. oh well, hope it helped fund something good.

bsg
09-19-2011, 8:47 PM
welcome to the forum.

TXdoubletap
09-19-2011, 8:50 PM
you just shot yourself in the foot, "police officer". jk, welcome aboard. where in texas did you come from? i just moved back to texas a month or so ago. its sad that you sold your rifles, i wish you had seen this website prior to your move. it would have saved you a lot of headaches. oh well, hope it helped fund something good.

I originally am from Garland, but moved out to East Texas where I became a Police Officer in 03. I left L.E. in 2007 to work in the I.T. field. I hope I can find some good folk on here to conversate with :)

shooterfpga
09-19-2011, 8:52 PM
thats a definate change in scenary. i guess i shouldnt be surprised. my brother left law enforcement and became a car salesman haha.

TXdoubletap
09-19-2011, 8:53 PM
thats a definate change in scenary. i guess i shouldnt be surprised. my brother left law enforcement and became a car salesman haha.

Ha! Thats funny. Thats the FIRST thing I did after I left. I worked for Nissan and Cadillac before getting into the tech field.

SoCal Bob
09-19-2011, 9:34 PM
Welcome to California and Calguns. I'm not positive but I think that Big 5 only carries the .22lr rifles that look like AR's. The good news is that there are a lot of good places in the San Diego area that do sell black rifle parts.

badpolizei
09-19-2011, 9:41 PM
Welcome to the Red state fellow Texan. My wife and I just moved out here a couple of months ago. Hope to see you around.

TXdoubletap
09-19-2011, 9:43 PM
Welcome to California and Calguns. I'm not positive but I think that Big 5 only carries the .22lr rifles that look like AR's. The good news is that there are a lot of good places in the San Diego area that do sell black rifle parts.

Im sure you are right Bob, I just glanced at them, surprised that something that "evil" was on the shelf as I strode by on the way to the hiking shoes.:)

TXdoubletap
09-19-2011, 9:48 PM
Welcome to the Red state fellow Texan. My wife and I just moved out here a couple of months ago. Hope to see you around.

Very cool. I see you are from Carrolton. Not too far from my neck of the woods. I am now in Point Loma, I wonder how far that is from long beach.

(checking google maps)

Colt-45
09-19-2011, 9:48 PM
Welcome to calguns, you should've stayed in Texas. :D

TXdoubletap
09-19-2011, 9:50 PM
Welcome to calguns, you should've stayed in Texas. :D

I dont really know how to take that, so I will take the high road.

Thanks for the welcome, and I agree with your statement!

shooterfpga
09-19-2011, 9:52 PM
he means, youre gonna hate having a bullet button and 10rds.

TXdoubletap
09-19-2011, 9:54 PM
he means, youre gonna hate having a bullet button and 10rds.

Figured as much :cool2:

I guess its a good opportunity to brush up on my long range rifle skills with my 7mm-08.

badpolizei
09-19-2011, 10:03 PM
Very cool. I see you are from Carrolton. Not too far from my neck of the woods. I am now in Point Loma, I wonder how far that is from long beach.

(checking google maps)

If your down by San Diego then it's about a two hour drive give or take depending on traffic. (My wife went to undergrad down there so we go a lot for Alumni events.)

zod
09-19-2011, 10:05 PM
Welcome to the Peoples Republic and to Calguns.

BlackTydeTactical
09-20-2011, 5:18 AM
Welcome aboard!

GMG
09-20-2011, 10:02 AM
Welcome aboard !

If your looking for an outdoor range........http://www.sbrgc.org/.

You might want to check this out.

.22guy
09-20-2011, 11:10 AM
Welcome to Calguns! :)

Tubbie
09-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Welcome aboard, cowboy!

vonderplatz
09-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Welcome to Calguns and the Peoples Republic Kailifornia.

loose_electron
09-20-2011, 3:04 PM
Welcome to San Diego, and to Point Loma area!
I live pretty close to Rosecrans.

Anyhow, for local pistol shooting the closest range is
Discount Gun Mart over off of Morena Blvd.

http://www.discountgunmart.com/category/retail_store.dgm_san_diego_home/

Range fees are pretty cheap, about $100 for a year, or you can pay as you go for $10-ish a visit.

Rifles are a different deal, I would suggest
South Bay Rod and Gun club:
http://sbrgc.org/index.html

Down on the border, so to speak.

There are others as well, but close to you those are the two I would suggest. PM me if you need some more info.

What part of Texas you from? I've worked in both Austin and Dallas at one time or another.

Sonny188
09-20-2011, 3:59 PM
Welcome to San Diego and Calguns!

Super Spy
09-20-2011, 4:38 PM
Welcome to CGN! I have family in Texas and I'm still pondering a move there when the time is right.

We are wondering why anyone would pick CA over Texas.....It sure isn't because of our laws and taxes. You must have landed a killer job or something to that effect. Granted the weather is better, we have plenty to do, and we have some good scenery, but the Government in this state SUX!!!

biloutkast
09-20-2011, 6:46 PM
Welcome to our crappy gun laws.

den888
09-20-2011, 8:10 PM
Welcome!

TheExpertish
09-21-2011, 7:42 AM
Welcome. Always good to see another former LEO around. You thinking of getting a police job out here?

SmellOfCordite
09-21-2011, 8:42 AM
Welcome to Calguns OP, what AR's did you use to have before you sold them?

Wicked Pete
09-21-2011, 9:50 AM
Yea, welcome. Usually we hear about people moving TO Texas. Hope you enjoy the forums.

Colt-45
09-21-2011, 10:53 AM
I dont really know how to take that, so I will take the high road.

Thanks for the welcome, and I agree with your statement!

lol I meant to say we have ****ty gun laws here, you'll miss Texas real soon.

TXdoubletap
09-21-2011, 7:48 PM
Welcome. Always good to see another former LEO around. You thinking of getting a police job out here?

The thought has crossed my mind....its not completely out of the question.

TXdoubletap
09-21-2011, 7:49 PM
Welcome to Calguns OP, what AR's did you use to have before you sold them?

Ill do a post with all my "Evil Guns from Texas" in GD.

Dark Mod
09-21-2011, 7:57 PM
Oh man, you screwed up bad

Thats like trading in your bentley for a shiny new prius

TXdoubletap
09-21-2011, 8:22 PM
Oh man, you screwed up bad

Thats like trading in your bentley for a shiny new prius

I knew what I was getting myself into before I came out here. Its no biggie. I just need to learn to be quick on the mag swaps out here. lol

BTW. My post is up in GD.

DeanW66
09-22-2011, 4:15 PM
Welcome aboard! Lots of useful info and helpful folks 'round these parts!

INJUNTOM
09-22-2011, 11:52 PM
Welcome aboard